Help Master's applications - profile valuation - Finance quant/engineering

Watch
VittorioBales.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I'm an Italian undergraduate student.

My profile:
Bsc Statistical Science from University of Bologna (best public italian university for international rankings)

GPA: 29.59/30 - top 1-5 % of my class - projected first class degree
No relevant internship
GMAT to take soon ( not aiming high cause I have less then one month to prepare)
pretty strong references
I've got the maximum grads with some honours in all the most important quantitative courses taken.
Ielts score 7 with at least 6.5 in all the sub-scores.

I'd like to continue my studies outside Italy with a master's degree in Quantitative Finance/ Financial Engineering.
I worked my ass off during the last three years in order to make some money aside for my postgraduate study but I don't have a strong family support, so it's really important for me to start working right after the master.

Until now I applied for:
Quantitative Finance - eth/uzh - 1.5yr
Financial Engineering - EPFL - 2yr
Risk Management and Financial Engineering - Imperial - 1yr

I'd like to ask you:
1) What you consider the best between these three
2) What are my chances to get into Imperial
3) I'd like to receive some tips for good masters in UK for QF/FE, taking into consideration that my Gmat score will probably be between 620-680.
Last edited by VittorioBales.; 1 year ago
sammu1999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All you need is a quant degree + good grades, so you should get admitted to most programs. EPFL and ETZ are probably the best two quant programs in mainland Europe and are very affordable compared to the UK. Depends on whether you want to live in a french speaking (EPFL) or german speaking (ETZ) part of Switzerland.

The risk management and financial engineering at Imperial is less quantitative since it is based in the business school. Most graduates go into risk roles rather than pure quant roles and the fee is very high for this. The best quant programs in the UK are shown below. Not many others are worth it.

1. Imperial Math & Fin
2. Oxford MSCF
3. UCL MSCF or MSFM
4. Warwick FinMath
5. LSE FinMath

If cost is important, I would go for EPFL/ETZ, but if you really want to work in London look at the programmes above. MSc in Applied Math, Stats or Machine Learning at Imperial/Cambridge/Oxford are also viable options at a cheaper price.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (221)
43.25%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (58)
11.35%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (108)
21.14%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (57)
11.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (28)
5.48%

Watched Threads