ChloeYeo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Q. Outline the roles of the peripheral and central nervous systems in responding to changes in the environment. The names and functions of regions in the brains are NOT required. (4 marks).

Mark scheme answer:
1. receptor detects stimulus (1 mark)
2. sensory neurones conduct action potentials (1 mark) from receptors to CNS (1 mark)
3. motor neurones conduct action potentials (1 mark) from CNS to effector (1 mark)
4. relay neurones conduct action potentials (1 mark) from sensory to motor neurones (1 mark)
5. CNS/brain, coordinates response (1 mark)

My question for this question is
1) Why is the mark scheme answer only about the CNS and not the PNS when the question is asking for both?
I don't understand how PNS is in the Q when it's nowhere in the answer. If it is in the answer, or implied in the answer, can you please explain where and how?
2) Shouldn't the question be 'outline the roles of NEURONES in responding to a change in environment/stimulus'?
How do we know we should add the role of neurones in answer when the question only asks about CNS and PNS?

Thank you so much!!
Renn0
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
The mark scheme is referring to both the CNS and the PNS.
The PNS is made up of the pairs of nerves that originate from the brain/spinal cord (so the sensory and motor neurones are part of the PNS). So when the mark scheme states "sensory/motor neurones conduct action potentials" (points 2. and 3.), those are referring to the roles of the PNS in response to a stimulus.

Hope this helps
Last edited by Renn0; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (0)
0%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (1)
25%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (0)
0%
No, I haven't received any communication (3)
75%

Watched Threads