mef7189
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently studying IB English, and my English teacher told me to strucutre my "argument within a coherent intellectual framework" and "supported by close analysis of language. " What does he mean by this?
skittish
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Coherent intellectual framework means structure- try to make sure that your argument is focussed and that you don’t waffle too much.

Supported by close analysis of language means refer directly to quotes and talk about techniques used, rather than making vaguer points.

Hope this helped
mef7189
Rep:
?
(Original post by skittish)
Coherent intellectual framework means structure- try to make sure that your argument is focussed and that you don’t waffle too much.

Supported by close analysis of language means refer directly to quotes and talk about techniques used, rather than making vaguer points.

Hope this helped
Wonderful, yes I understand what he means now. Do you think you could give me like a strucutural example for "argument within a coherent intellectual framewor" writing this? Thank you
skittish
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mef7189)
Wonderful, yes I understand what he means now. Do you think you could give me like a strucutural example for "argument within a coherent intellectual framewor" writing this? Thank you
It's hard to give an example quickly, but I would recommend using the following framework for each paragraph (other than the intro and conclusion).

TS - topic Sentence
your starting sentence- this should sum up the argument for your paragraph, like a tiny introduction

P - point
this should simply state the first point you're making

E - evidence
quote and refer to specific techniques

A - analysis
as yourself "so what?" - why was the quote/technique used? how is it significant? what effect does it have on the reader?

L - link
link back to the question or to another text - If you're talking about another text, repeat P,E,A,L

MC - mini-conclusion
write a mini-conclusion re-stating your argument (essentially take your topic sentence and try to make it a little more nuanced).

I initially included examples but decided against it, as I wasn't comfortable sharing my essay online. I hope that's okay.
mef7189
Rep:
?
It's hard to give an example quickly, but I would recommend using the following framework for each paragraph (other than the intro and conclusion).

TS - topic Sentence
your starting sentence- this should sum up the argument for your paragraph, like a tiny introduction

P - point
this should simply state the first point you're making

E - evidence
quote and refer to specific techniques

A - analysis
as yourself "so what?" - why was the quote/technique used? how is it significant? what effect does it have on the reader?

L - link
link back to the question or to another text - If you're talking about another text, repeat P,E,A,L

MC - mini-conclusion
write a mini-conclusion re-stating your argument (essentially take your topic sentence and try to make it a little more nuanced).

I initially included examples but decided against it, as I wasn't comfortable sharing my essay online. I hope that's okay.
that's really great thank you so much, and I understand anyway that online you wouldn't want to share your work, which is perfectly fine! I'll try and use this structure in my next essay, and thanks again, so helpful!!!
skittish
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m really glad it helped, it’s not a problem at all! Good luck with your future studies and thank you for understanding
mef7189
Rep:
?
I’m really glad it helped, it’s not a problem at all! Good luck with your future studies and thank you for understanding
Thank you and all the best to your future studies too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (309)
65.74%
No (161)
34.26%

Watched Threads