The Student Room Group

Possible new driving laws for new drivers (under 2yrs on the road)

Disgusting:

The RAC believes these are likely to focus on:

Curfews - Times when they are allowed to be on the road

Passengers - Limits for how many passengers a new driver can have

Speed - Separate, lower speed limits to other drivers

Engine sizes - Limits on how powerful their cars can be

Mandatory P plates - These are currently optional, but could be made mandatory for up to two years

Alcohol - Lower limits than the general driving population

How the F are they going to make new speed limits for new drivers? So you’re telling me that on a 30 road there will be a limit of say 20 for new drivers??? That will just disrupt general traffic flow and have everyone drive at 20, not sure how this could even work. And the whole mandatory P plate is a complete joke.. they are trying to turn drivers against each other I swear. Why do the government hate people who drive cars? They want less people on the road as possible, it’s becoming so ridiculous that doubt is really starting to cast over if it really is for safety. Either way theres money to be made by the government from all this..
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I like the idea of limiting by engine size.
It works well for motorcycle license.

Also only rich people can afford the insurance for some 3litre sports car at 17.:u:
As for the P plate thing, no real harm in it. Again many 125cc bikes use L plates with no problems.
Reply 2
Citation needed
Original post by adam271
I like the idea of limiting by engine size.
It works well for motorcycle license.

Also only rich people can afford the insurance for some 3litre sports car at 17.:u:
As for the P plate thing, no real harm in it. Again many 125cc bikes use L plates with no problems.

You’ve been driving over 2 years haven’t you..
Reply 4
Original post by ThuggerThugger
You’ve been driving over 2 years haven’t you..

Yep.
There is no issue with them two though.
I do agree that a curfew would be unfair. ( Also will limit ability to work)
A speed limit would also not be practical.
Reply 5
I can see the logic around the engine size and P plates and also the alcohol limit
Reply 6
How would they even get a curfew to work like would it just be if you're caught past a certain time you're banned? 😂

This had better not happen.. I turn 17 next year and I'm driving asap

The P plates, alcohol thing and engine size make total sense though
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RyanC_
How would they even get a curfew to work like would it just be if you're caught past a certain time you're banned? 😂

This had better not happen.. I turn 17 next year and I'm driving asap

The P plates, alcohol thing and engine size make total sense though

All the P plates will do is give other drivers reason to ride your arse, I put P plates on my car when I first passed, and didn't realise they were just causing other drivers to driver erratically around me. It will just be an all out war on the roads, P plate drivers VS non-P plate drivers, probably endup in a fued like Crips and Bloods.
peak for you non-drivers
Reply 9
All the P plates will do is give other drivers reason to ride your arse, I put P plates on my car when I first passed, and didn't realise they were just causing other drivers to driver erratically around me. It will just be an all out war on the roads, P plate drivers VS non-P plate drivers, probably endup in a fued like Crips and Bloods.

True true 😂
Tbf if you’re driving, you shouldn’t be drinking at all!

Having a lower acceptable alcohol/blood volume is absolutely fine by me.
I don't get why governments all around the world, persistenlty ignore what rally champions have been saying on driving courses since the 50ies:

That a driver should first be trained in taking a good position in the car, and the right moves. Then after some training in normal driving, should be taught deep on driving physics and causes of accidents, undergo training in spotting potentially dangerous situations, then be sent on skidpad to master control on low grip surfaces, and then sent to all the same emergency manuvers at higher speeds on dry tarmac, to at least realise how difficult is it to control the car in good road conditions, when something bad happens.

It has also been tested, that once you have people who can already drive normally, 7 days of intensive training should be enough for most of them to gain skills comparable to those of rally and stunt-drivers.
Curfews - Times when they are allowed to be on the road

Agreed, this is downright rediculous. Unless there are laws prohibiting young adults from working the night shift (which, as far as I'm aware, there aren't), then this can have significant impacts on the employment opportunities of young people.

Passengers - Limits for how many passengers a new driver can have

I think this one is understandable providing there's some reasonable exemptions when it comes to family members, or it only applies to certain age groups

Speed - Separate, lower speed limits to other drivers

That's a funny one. But as a whole, I'll disagree with it. I don't believe it'll be anything rediculous like 20 in a 30, 10 in a 20. I think this will focus on high-speed roads, maybe only NSL marked roads (pretty much just country lanes and dual carriageways). But still, slower drivers can be far more dangerous than speeders, mainly on multi-lane roads where you may find the car ahead of you changes lane and suddenly you're barreling down on a car doing 40 in a 70.

Engine sizes - Limits on how powerful their cars can be

The understanding is there, but cars aren't bikes. With a bike, if you compare two bikes of the same class, the higher displacement is more than likely going to be quicker. With cars, that isn't the case, especially with how far engine technology has gone... I mean, you don't exactly need to look far to find examples. Ford's 2.3L Ecoboost isn't exactly miles off from their 5L V8 they shove in the Mustang, yet we're talking more than half the displacement.

What about light sports cars that use smaller engines like the 2.0L Airel Atom, or the 1.4L Abarth 595?

What about diesels? You can push a hell of a lot of performance out of a small diesel engine purely because they produce so much torque. Most of the fastest diesel cars on the road are only packing a 3.0L engine, and some 2.0L diesels are only a second or two behind these 3.0L diesels when it comes to 0-60 times.

Implementing an engine size limitation would be relatively pointless not only because of these standout, lightweight rockets, but also because you're dealing with both petrol and diesel. Not to mention insurance companies already do a pretty good job of keeping new drivers in cars with smaller engines.

I would also be fully against anything rediculous like limiting new drivers to 1.0L engines. 1.0L engines just aren't built to cope with the roads, they're underpowered and need to be pushed hard (this is particularly bad for cold engines). If there's any kind of engine that might actually be able to cope with a 1.0L displacement, it's a diesel. But I've yet to come across such an engine.

Mandatory P plates - These are currently optional, but could be made mandatory for up to two years

Meh

Alcohol - Lower limits than the general driving population

Makes sense
(edited 4 years ago)
I suppose mandatory P plates aren't that much of an issue considering some of the other things they want to change. But you do get idiots who think it's okay to pull out on or cut up learner/newly passed cars just because they're probably going to be driven by those that are young/inexperienced, so forcing people to have them will only make roads more dangerous. It's only going to cause more aggressive and offensive driving. Also there's a huge difference between someone who's been driving fairly regularly for two years and someone who's being driving for two weeks, yet the plates don't give any distinction.

Curfews are also ridiculous, it's essentially saying new drivers can't have any jobs/go anywhere at night unless they walk (potentially dangerous/too far), use public transport (unreliable, scarce later on in the evening), get a taxi (expensive) or get someone else with more than two years experience to pick them up (an inconvenience).

I personally think there should be zero tolerance regarding alcohol for everyone.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by bones-mccoy
I suppose mandatory P plates aren't that much of an issue considering some of the other things they want to change. But you do get idiots who think it's okay to pull out on or cut up learner/newly passed cars just because they're probably going to be driven by those that are young/inexperienced, so forcing people to have them will only make roads more dangerous. It's only going to cause more aggressive and offensive driving. Also there's a huge difference between someone who's been driving fairly regularly for two years and someone who's being driving for two weeks, yet the plates don't give any distinction.

Not only that, but it's not exactly unheard of for people to pass their test and not get a car for a while. People could pass their test and not drive for 2 years, yet they wouldn't need to display P plates. So Joe Blogs over there with his P plates who's been driving for 1 1/2 years, has more experience than John Doe behind him who hasn't driven for the last 2 years, yet John doesn't need to display P plates, nor is he subject to any of these rules.
Original post by TheMcSame
Not only that, but it's not exactly unheard of for people to pass their test and not get a car for a while. People could pass their test and not drive for 2 years, yet they wouldn't need to display P plates. So Joe Blogs over there with his P plates who's been driving for 1 1/2 years, has more experience than John Doe behind him who hasn't driven for the last 2 years, yet John doesn't need to display P plates, nor is he subject to any of these rules.

Very true, I never thought of it like that
Original post by TheMcSame

Yeah I know a guy who passed his test at like 17 and never drove again, when I knew him he was like 24. I asked him if he thinks he could jump in a car right now and drive, he said “not a chance”.
Original post by bones-mccoy

Curfews are also ridiculous, it's essentially saying new drivers can't have any jobs/go anywhere at night unless they walk (potentially dangerous/too far), use public transport (unreliable, scarce later on in the evening), get a taxi (expensive) or get someone else with more than two years experience to pick them up (an inconvenience).

I personally think there should be zero tolerance regarding alcohol for everyone.

I think tbh if we tried to expand the P plate thing it would lose all meaning, and it's already a bit empty. As you point out, other drivers don't often like them much. Personally i'm on my best behaviour around L plates, i'll give them more space and I'd rather not be used by their instructor as an example of how not to drive. But i'm also slightly reassured they have someone who theoretically does know to drive with them

P plates are a different matter as regardless of intent they come across as 'I have no confidence in controlling my car' and you just don't want to be near them. Some drivers take this too far but i've pulled off to the side of the road a few times to let a few cars go by and separate me from a particularly skittish P plate driver.

I'm not totally against some sort of enforced display that corresponds to the 2 yr probation period or such, but I think it would need to be a totally new system as opposed to extending the crap one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending