The Student Room Group

Environmental Economics and Policy: Imperial vs LSE vs UCL vs Oxford

Hi everyone,

I am really interested in the following programs :
- LSE : MSc Environmental Economics and Climate Change
- Imperial : MSc Environmental Technology
- UCL : MSc Economics and Policy of Energy and the Environment
- Oxford : MSc in Environmental Change and Management

I have a background in business economics and management and I would like to work as a climate change economic and/or policy advisor in consultancies or international organisations.

I know these are all great courses and have great university reputations. Which one would you pick out of the four and why ? Many thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Aymb
Hi everyone,

I have a background in business economics and management and I would like to work as a climate change economic and/or policy advisor in consultancies or international organisations.

I know these are all great courses and have great university reputations. Which one would you pick out of the four and why ? Many thanks!

All great universities. Ultimately, it's all down to you.

Have you looked at the individual modules? Visited the universities to get a feel of where you'd be spending your year?
Reply 2
Original post by Hakz
All great universities. Ultimately, it's all down to you.

Have you looked at the individual modules? Visited the universities to get a feel of where you'd be spending your year?

Thank you for your reply !
Yes, I have had a close look at the modules offered by each program and I have a slight preference for Imperial's and Oxford's programs. My location prevents me from visiting the universities though.
However, as the fees widely differ between the programs, I am curious about the differences in reputation and prestige of these programs which would justify (or not) those differences.
Reply 3
Original post by Aymb
Thank you for your reply !
Yes, I have had a close look at the modules offered by each program and I have a slight preference for Imperial's and Oxford's programs. My location prevents me from visiting the universities though.
However, as the fees widely differ between the programs, I am curious about the differences in reputation and prestige of these programs which would justify (or not) those differences.

Most people will go for Oxford just because of the name especially if you plan to work abroad. Imperial is also well recognised so I wouldn't worry too much.
Original post by Aymb
Hi everyone,

If I was picking out of the four, I’d go for Oxford as personally I love the collegiate style and also the culture and atmosphere of the place as well as the University itself. However, LSE, Imperial and UCL are both amazing Unis too and being in London will also open many opportunities.

As others suggest, I’d go with the course you like the most (so maybe narrow it down to Imperial and Oxford as you’ve suggested you prefer them?) and if you can go to an open day and learn more about the style of teaching, structure of the degree, how it’s assessed, the support you’ll have, amount of contact time, the Uni lifestyle there and social life / other things to do. Hopefully if you visit them you’ll just get the feeling and know which place you’d feel happier in. Good luck!
Hi,

I have the similar dilemma: I have offers from:

- LSE : Environment and Development
- ICL: MSc Environmental Technology

I did not apply for UCL. LSE and ICL seemed better options in London.
I did not apply for Oxford, cuz I was "scared". I wish I had. Also in Cambridge, Master of Studies in Sustainability Leadership is a great programme.

Well, I have to choose LSE or ICL now.
ICL Env. Tech. has an amazing content. I have been choosen for Integrated Water Management Option, because I have a solid experience as a Senior Water Process Engineer in Oil and Gas industry. However, Environmental Economics and Policy option may fit you perfectly; considering your background and future expectations.

LSE has less structured programmes, as I analyzed. It is more like giving you a perspective. ICL is more like a proper education based on information. However LSE is more like learning the proper way of "thinking" about that spesific subject; and I like it!

I still have time to choose amogst them. Maybe you can also help me :smile:

All the best,
Reply 6
Original post by ChemEngSust
Hi,

I have the similar dilemma: I have offers from:

- LSE : Environment and Development
- ICL: MSc Environmental Technology

I did not apply for UCL. LSE and ICL seemed better options in London.
I did not apply for Oxford, cuz I was "scared". I wish I had. Also in Cambridge, Master of Studies in Sustainability Leadership is a great programme.

Well, I have to choose LSE or ICL now.
ICL Env. Tech. has an amazing content. I have been choosen for Integrated Water Management Option, because I have a solid experience as a Senior Water Process Engineer in Oil and Gas industry. However, Environmental Economics and Policy option may fit you perfectly; considering your background and future expectations.

LSE has less structured programmes, as I analyzed. It is more like giving you a perspective. ICL is more like a proper education based on information. However LSE is more like learning the proper way of "thinking" about that spesific subject; and I like it!

I still have time to choose amogst them. Maybe you can also help me :smile:

All the best,

Hi ! Thanks for your reply ! I eventually god accepted to the masters at LSE, Imperial and UCL. After a very challenging reflexion, I will probably go to Imperial. As you said, I think the content is amazing and truly complementary (I am enrolled in the Global Environmental Change and Policy option). Let's get in touch ! Dont hesitate to can contact me :smile:
All the best,
Original post by Aymb
Hi ! Thanks for your reply ! I eventually god accepted to the masters at LSE, Imperial and UCL. After a very challenging reflexion, I will probably go to Imperial. As you said, I think the content is amazing and truly complementary (I am enrolled in the Global Environmental Change and Policy option). Let's get in touch ! Dont hesitate to can contact me :smile:
All the best,

Great to hear that! Hope to see you on the other side!

Best,
Yaşar M.
Reply 8
Original post by Aymb
All the best,

Hiya, I have received an offer for the same program at Imperial as well however, I am enrolled onto the EAM option! It's great to meet someone on the same course as me. Please do get in contact with me!
Original post by aka16
Hiya, I have received an offer for the same program at Imperial as well however, I am enrolled onto the EAM option! It's great to meet someone on the same course as me. Please do get in contact with me!

It is very nice get that sense of community already :smile: I am enrolled for the IWM option, hope to see you there!
Original post by ChemEngSust
It is very nice get that sense of community already :smile: I am enrolled for the IWM option, hope to see you there!

Hiya, apologies for the late reply! I had to create a new account due to issues with my old account. The IWM option was actually my second option on my application. I have heard that both the IWM and EAM optional modules work on similar projects. I am looking forward to meeting you in October.
Akansha Patel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending