The Student Room Group

How realistic is it to get into a top 10 world uni ( LSE , Cambridge, Yale, Imperial,

These are my following GCSEs:
Maths - 9
Physics-9
Chemistry - 8
Biology - 8
Design Technology - 8
English Language - 8
English literature - 7
Geography - 7
Chinese - A
Art - 4
Computer science - 6

I'd like to know how realistic it is to apply for Oxbridge MATHS and any US ivies or US prestigious unis as I am afraid my B and C will hinder my application and it may waste a lot of my time preparing for oxbridge . How heavy will the art grade be considered even by other unis such as UCL LSE Imperial Cambridge and potentially Yale.
My A levels are Maths, F Maths, Chemistry, Physics.
Regarding US unis, my weakest point BY FAR is my extracurriculars and Im wondering if there is anything I can do in the next year which will increase my chances at getting an offer. I currently do some activities but none involve rewards such as maths club, volunteering(tutoring) , sports team etc.
I only have a few rewards such as UKMT gold (once) and not many other awards, which extracurriculars have rewards to show for my achievements?
Thanks

Further question:
I plan to be an actuary but I haven't been able to find many people knowledgable in this field. I wasn't to work in a job with heavy problem solving and preferably finance but I hear that accounting and investment banking is very saturated right now and probably even more so in next few years.
What is being an actuary like?
What is the course itself like (actuarial sciences)?
What degree would be best for going into actuary ?
How hard is it to become an actuary (steps and exams) ?
Is the pay good and if so, why is it in such high demand?
Reply 1
All uk unis should be achievable with those grades it will depend more on what you get in your a levels, personal statement and how you do in interviews
extracurriculars are much more important for US unis, oxbridge don't really care unless they're super relevant or you're doing a course that needs work experience. Don't let your grades put you off- the average oxbridge applicant has 6 A*s at GCSE so you're fine! For maths they rely heavily on the entrance exam, especially at oxford, so as long as you work hard for that then you have a chance. I doubt your art grade will count for too much, but you never know. good luck :smile:
Original post by One autumn leaf
These are my following GCSEs:
Maths - 9
Physics-9
Chemistry - 8
Biology - 8
Design Technology - 8
English Language - 8
English literature - 7
Geography - 7
Chinese - A
Art - 4
Computer science - 6

I'd like to know how realistic it is to apply for Oxbridge MATHS and any US ivies or US prestigious unis as I am afraid my B and C will hinder my application and it may waste a lot of my time preparing for oxbridge . How heavy will the art grade be considered even by other unis such as UCL LSE Imperial Cambridge and potentially Yale.
My A levels are Maths, F Maths, Chemistry, Physics.
Regarding US unis, my weakest point BY FAR is my extracurriculars and Im wondering if there is anything I can do in the next year which will increase my chances at getting an offer. I currently do some activities but none involve rewards such as maths club, volunteering(tutoring) , sports team etc.
I only have a few rewards such as UKMT gold (once) and not many other awards, which extracurriculars have rewards to show for my achievements?
Thanks

Further question:
I plan to be an actuary but I haven't been able to find many people knowledgable in this field. I wasn't to work in a job with heavy problem solving and preferably finance but I hear that accounting and investment banking is very saturated right now and probably even more so in next few years.

I would also say that whilst oxbridge and US applications are a lot of work, oxbridge applications are more likely to be revision which is somewhat relevant to your course, making it more worthwhile than US applications, which largely involve jumping through irrelevant hoops. It's up to you of course, but I found that applying to cambridge made me much more passionate about my subject and improved my skills, meaning that it was worth applying regardless of whether or not I'm accepted.
Original post by skittish
I would also say that whilst oxbridge and US applications are a lot of work, oxbridge applications are more likely to be revision which is somewhat relevant to your course, making it more worthwhile than US applications, which largely involve jumping through irrelevant hoops. It's up to you of course, but I found that applying to cambridge made me much more passionate about my subject and improved my skills, meaning that it was worth applying regardless of whether or not I'm accepted.

average applicant may have 'x' amount of A*s but its much better to give details of successful oxbridge applicants. As for Cambridge your GCSEs are irrelevant since they rely on a much more rigorous method of evaluating applicants, for maths applicants you'll need to do the STEP exams which are aimed towards the top 2% of A-level maths students and will need to attain atleast grade 1. If you want to apply to imperial you will need to do the MAT as well. Oxford rely quite heavily on GCSEs compared to Cambridge.
Of course, I’m just saying that you’re not necessarily going to be one of the worst applicants. Obviously the more A*s the better but I’m just encouraging OP not to give up on applying because they think the majority of applicants are much better. Also, GCSEs for Cambridge aren’t totally irrelevant, as far as I’m aware, although they don’t focus on them much. Not trying to argue with you as your advice is very good, just speaking from my experience.
Original post by skittish
Of course, I’m just saying that you’re not necessarily going to be one of the worst applicants. Obviously the more A*s the better but I’m just encouraging OP not to give up on applying because they think the majority of applicants are much better. Also, GCSEs for Cambridge aren’t totally irrelevant, as far as I’m aware, although they don’t focus on them much. Not trying to argue with you as your advice is very good, just speaking from my experience.

Yeah not irrelevant but less relevant than other unis.
You probably know this, but I just thought I would mention it in case you weren't aware.

For most top UK unis for maths, you'll need to take an additional exam, either MAT or STEP- details here: https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/step/about-step/ and here: https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/mat/about-mat/. AFIAK, it's these scores and your A-level scores that unis will be most interested in as long as your GCSEs are of a good standard which they are.

For US unis, you'd also need to sit the ACT or the SAT.

All of these will cost money to sit, and you'll also have to pay a fee to apply to each US uni individually.

The Fullbright Commission is an organisation that helps UK students apply to US unis, might be worth a look: http://www.fulbright.org.uk/about-us
Reply 8

You're better off asking someone over at https://www.acted.co.uk/forums/index.php

It's a complicated degree, not to mention you have to parkour between maths, statistics, finance and economics, so although you learn each part, you'll never know more than someone solely studying in any of those fields. Although if you like actuarial science it's an extremely rewarding degree choice (at least it is in my opinion).

Actuarial science, or any similar degrees that give the full 6 exemptions at BSc level (CM1 CM2 CS1 CS2 CB1 and CB2). These can be found here https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studying/exam-exemptions/how-apply-exemption/university-courses-exemptions

If you do an actuarial science degree and get all the exemptions you're essentially a "student actuary" you then need to pass CB3 CP1 CP2 and CP3 (most people pass these with the company they're working for paying all expenses and allowing "study days"). Then also complete the PPD and Professional Skills Course. Then viola, you're an associate actuary. If you continue your journey you'll likely aim to become a fellow, so you would need to pass 2 SP modules and 1 SA module extra. It's also worth noting you can get quite a few more exemptions if you consider instead of passing the exams, you do a MSc in say Actuarial Management at Cass, then you have the opportunity to get a lot more exemptions (it might be possible to complete pass your masters, and use the exemptions to become a Fellow, you'd have to check on Cass' website.)

The average salaries can be found here https://www.actuaries.org.uk/become-actuary/why-become-actuary/how-much-will-i-earn
I'm not entirely sure why the demand is high, but at least from what I have seen actuaries are used to cover legal requirements such as Solvency II, we're also used in pricing and reserving in insurance and investment, so we're demanded there too.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me here or in PMs, I'm still only a final year undergrad student so I won't have all the answers, but I'll try.
Original post by AdamCor
You're better off asking someone over at https://www.acted.co.uk/forums/index.php

It's a complicated degree, not to mention you have to parkour between maths, statistics, finance and economics, so although you learn each part, you'll never know more than someone solely studying in any of those fields. Although if you like actuarial science it's an extremely rewarding degree choice (at least it is in my opinion).

Actuarial science, or any similar degrees that give the full 6 exemptions at BSc level (CM1 CM2 CS1 CS2 CB1 and CB2). These can be found here https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studying/exam-exemptions/how-apply-exemption/university-courses-exemptions

If you do an actuarial science degree and get all the exemptions you're essentially a "student actuary" you then need to pass CB3 CP1 CP2 and CP3 (most people pass these with the company they're working for paying all expenses and allowing "study days"). Then also complete the PPD and Professional Skills Course. Then viola, you're an associate actuary. If you continue your journey you'll likely aim to become a fellow, so you would need to pass 2 SP modules and 1 SA module extra. It's also worth noting you can get quite a few more exemptions if you consider instead of passing the exams, you do a MSc in say Actuarial Management at Cass, then you have the opportunity to get a lot more exemptions (it might be possible to complete pass your masters, and use the exemptions to become a Fellow, you'd have to check on Cass' website.)

The average salaries can be found here https://www.actuaries.org.uk/become-actuary/why-become-actuary/how-much-will-i-earn
I'm not entirely sure why the demand is high, but at least from what I have seen actuaries are used to cover legal requirements such as Solvency II, we're also used in pricing and reserving in insurance and investment, so we're demanded there too.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me here or in PMs, I'm still only a final year undergrad student so I won't have all the answers, but I'll try.

do actuaries' get paid bonuses or not?
Original post by Levi.-

I have no idea, but they do get pay increases based on experience (like every other job) and exams passed.
Original post by Svesh
All uk unis should be achievable with those grades it will depend more on what you get in your a levels, personal statement and how you do in interviews

do you have any idea on US unis like the ivies?
Reply 12
do you have any idea on US unis like the ivies?

US universities use 'holistic admissions'. They look at everything you do aside from sleep, basically. They care about what extracurriculars you have - do you run any clubs? Volunteer at your local food bank? Play an instrument? Are you into competitive lockpicking? Are you a trained bell-ringer? These are all genuine ECs I've seen people have. They obviously care about grades too, though, much more so than the extracurriculars. Finally, they care about 'fit'. American colleges are obsessed with building active communities, and so they look for students who are committed to bettering the lives of those around them and inspire others, as well as their academics.
Original post by hoixw
US universities use 'holistic admissions'. They look at everything you do aside from sleep, basically. They care about what extracurriculars you have - do you run any clubs? Volunteer at your local food bank? Play an instrument? Are you into competitive lockpicking? Are you a trained bell-ringer? These are all genuine ECs I've seen people have. They obviously care about grades too, though, much more so than the extracurriculars. Finally, they care about 'fit'. American colleges are obsessed with building active communities, and so they look for students who are committed to bettering the lives of those around them and inspire others, as well as their academics.

Could you look at my recent post and give me some guidance with that please , I posted some information about the ECAs I do and if you could recommend me some ECAs to complete this year even better. Thanks
Original post by Levi.-

Original post by AdamCor
I have no idea, but they do get pay increases based on experience (like every other job) and exams passed.

Actuaries/actuarial analysts will typically receive a cash bonus alongside their base, usually bench marked on KPIs which differ by company and their strategy (Solvency ratio focus, policy book, merger integration targets, etc.) and then individually on your relative performance during your review.

From what I've seen, it varies between 0% - 25% if you discount any actuarial analyst exam bonus.
Original post by ParagonProxy
Actuaries/actuarial analysts will typically receive a cash bonus alongside their base, usually bench marked on KPIs which differ by company and their strategy (Solvency ratio focus, policy book, merger integration targets, etc.) and then individually on your relative performance during your review.

From what I've seen, it varies between 0% - 25% if you discount any actuarial analyst exam bonus.

huh do actuaries ever get any equity pieces of the companies they work in?
Original post by Levi.-
huh do actuaries ever get any equity pieces of the companies they work in?

I've never personally witnessed this at a large insurer/consultancy but it would not be that strange if you did at an Insurtech.

I wouldn't advise any prospective actuarial analyst to get their training at one though,-- better to stick to traditional brand names.

Quick Reply