mia888
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i need help with these questions:
1)Name the elements of Group 2 and give the electronic structure using noble gases core notation
2)Explain the link between melting points and atomic radius of group 2
HRobson_BMC
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't want to outright give you the answers here since question 1 is rather simple.

Group 2 should be labelled on your Periodic Table, if not search for one online to refer to. This should help with the first question. The first electron configuration in Noble Gas notation should be [He]2s^2, for Beryllium.
Follow this example for the rest of Group 2. The noble gas used as a shortcut will change each time because you use the one closest in atomic number to your group 2 metal.

Down Group 2, atomic radius increases and melting point decreases. More electrons, so greater distance between positive ion cores in the metallic structure. This increases atomic radius and makes it easier to separate ion cores due to diminished electrostatic forces, so melting point lowers.
dxnixl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
To simplify:

1) The noble gas notation is [He] and so your answers are [He]2s1 , [He[2s2] , and so on along the period.

2) As you go down group 2

- Atomic radius increases due to a decreasing attraction between the e- and protons (as the number of shells increase down the group)
- so shielding increases (more e- between the nuclei and outer e-)
- both of which overpower the increase in nuclear charge
- hence less energy is required to overcome the (weak) nuclear attraction, so the melting point decreases down the group.
Last edited by dxnixl; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (222)
67.68%
No (106)
32.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed