The Student Room Group

What is EVEL in Politics?

I know it stands for English Votes in English Laws, but what is it? Is it just a name for something or some kind of process of some sort? It doesn't specify exactly what it's meant to be.

I researched and found this: "The EVEL process is designed to ensure that legislation that affects only England" - so not exactly sure what it is.

Thank you! Much appreciated :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by liaente
I know it stands for English Votes in English Laws, but what is it? Is it just a name for something or some kind of process of some sort? It doesn't specify exactly what it's meant to be.

I researched and found this: "The EVEL process is designed to ensure that legislation that affects only England" - so not exactly sure what it is.

Thank you! Much appreciated :smile:

Hi there

So basically EVEL was an idea brought about by David Cameron which meant that only English MPs could vote on issues that were just concerning England.
This was an issues because Scottish Welsh and NI mps had votes on this that did not affect their constituents. Eg. In 2004 the increase in tuition fees from 1k to 3k only got through with the help of Scottish MPS.

The tories brought in reforms after they won a majority in 2015. Now the speaker decides which legislation is ‘England only’ and then the legislation is considered by an English select committee.
Reply 2
Original post by proudmonkey
Hi there

So basically EVEL was an idea brought about by David Cameron which meant that only English MPs could vote on issues that were just concerning England.
This was an issues because Scottish Welsh and NI mps had votes on this that did not affect their constituents. Eg. In 2004 the increase in tuition fees from 1k to 3k only got through with the help of Scottish MPS.

The tories brought in reforms after they won a majority in 2015. Now the speaker decides which legislation is ‘England only’ and then the legislation is considered by an English select committee.

This was extremely helpful! And the examples you gave, this is great! Thank you very much, a thorough explanation :biggrin:
Original post by liaente
This was extremely helpful! And the examples you gave, this is great! Thank you very much, a thorough explanation :biggrin:

No problem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending