Got a 9 in Religious Studies, ask anything :) Watch

hweller
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Whilst it's not a particularly big thing to get a 9 in RS I'm free to give any tips or help answer questions. I did Christianity, Islam and four Ethical themes and dropped 7 marks across both exams.
mekask\ccl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What A levels are/ did you do
foreverrocking
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hweller)
Whilst it's not a particularly big thing to get a 9 in RS I'm free to give any tips or help answer questions. I did Christianity, Islam and four Ethical themes and dropped 7 marks across both exams.
well done I am doing the same topics.Do you do Aqa
hweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by mekaskccl)
What A levels are/ did you do
I'm currently in year 11 but did RS a year early with two others in my year so I'm in the process of applying for A levels. I'm going to do chemistry, biology, maths and further maths (may end up dropping further maths)
hweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by asubramanil16)
well done I am doing the same topics.Do you do Aqa
Thanks! I quite enjoyed those topics Yep I did AQA
username4966870
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Same. It was the easiest subject of my life
princetonalec
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Did you do RS as a full GCSE, or as the mandatory exam?
How come you're not thinking of doing it past your GCSEs?
Elsmok
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i got a 1 ama
princetonalec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous__02)
I know when I did the GCSE RS exam it was basically just my opinion for every question. Easiest A I ever got (would've got an A* if I hadn't changed which question I was answering after I already wrote a full response...)
hweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous__02)
Yes mine too!
Justvisited
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Which is the middle verse of the Bible?
foreverrocking
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't really enjoy Religous studies it not because it's hard. It is just my teacher is so boring she just makes us copy stuff from the book, but I love the themes they are like my favourite part.
Do you have any top tips for Islam I have a mock in 2 weeks and family planning and crime and punishment
Last edited by foreverrocking; 1 month ago
hweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by princetonalec)
Did you do RS as a full GCSE, or as the mandatory exam?
How come you're not thinking of doing it past your GCSEs?
I did it as the full GCSE but at our school it wasn't optional so everyone has to do the whole course.
Whilst I didn't find it challenging, it's not something I think would be useful for me further down the line as I'm really interested in science and maths so plan to go into medical research or forensic science instead
hweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by Justvisited)
Which is the middle verse of the Bible?
Psalm 118 is the middle chapter and the middle of that chapter are the two verses 'When hard pressed, I cried to the Lord;

he brought me into a spacious place.' so I guess that's your answer! (ngl just looked that up but thanks, learn something new everyday!)
Last edited by hweller; 1 month ago
princetonalec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did it as the full GCSE but at our school it wasn't optional so everyone has to do the whole course.
Whilst I didn't find it challenging, it's not something I think would be useful for me further down the line as I'm really interested in science and maths so plan to go into medical research or forensic science instead
I could make a pretty good argument for continuing it! RS at ALEVEL is typically philosophy based provided you're not doing a confessional degree, and it can help put you a foot forwards for jobs working with other people.
Of course don't take it if you dont want to, but if you're interested in RS in general get the books Engaging With Living Religion and Food Sex And Strangers, as those two should completely undo everything you've learned so far (GCSE RS education is really quite abysmal!)
Wishing you the best!
hweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by asubramanil16)
I don't really enjoy Religous studies it not because it's hard. It is just my teacher is so boring she just makes us copy stuff from the book, but I love the themes they are like my favourite part.
Do you have any top tips for Islam I have a mock in 2 weeks and family planning and crime and punishment
Ah yes fair enough, any subject with a boring teacher isn't exactly fun - English is my experience of that. Absolutely hate it!
Themes are great, just give opinions and other points of view and you're sorted!

For all aspects of RS, the most important thing for me was understanding how to answer the questions. As long as you have some basic knowledge, you're sorted as long as you can manipulate it to answer questions. Learn the 5 pillars for practices and a bit about them plus a quote for each; learn a bit about the festivals and a quote for each one. If you're doing AQA, there's a fantastic revision guide that's green and purple that covers islam, christianity and the 6 themes from those religions' point of view and I went through and answered all the questions on the review sections after looking through the content - three of the 12 markers were ACTUALLY IN THE FINAL EXAM!! So practicing questions and the style of answering really paid off.
Basically, learn a few quotes and have some generic ones under your belt that you can whip out - the examiner will clock any quotes and be thinking you're a student who knows their stuff
hweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by princetonalec)
I know when I did the GCSE RS exam it was basically just my opinion for every question. Easiest A I ever got (would've got an A* if I hadn't changed which question I was answering after I already wrote a full response...)
Ahh that's a shame - well done on an A though!
foreverrocking
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah yes fair enough, any subject with a boring teacher isn't exactly fun - English is my experience of that. Absolutely hate it!
Themes are great, just give opinions and other points of view and you're sorted!

For all aspects of RS, the most important thing for me was understanding how to answer the questions. As long as you have some basic knowledge, you're sorted as long as you can manipulate it to answer questions. Learn the 5 pillars for practices and a bit about them plus a quote for each; learn a bit about the festivals and a quote for each one. If you're doing AQA, there's a fantastic revision guide that's green and purple that covers islam, christianity and the 6 themes from those religions' point of view and I went through and answered all the questions on the review sections after looking through the content - three of the 12 markers were ACTUALLY IN THE FINAL EXAM!! So practicing questions and the style of answering really paid off.
Basically, learn a few quotes and have some generic ones under your belt that you can whip out - the examiner will clock any quotes and be thinking you're a student who knows their stuff
Thanks for the info. I agree with you Religous studies is not content-heavy.You just need to learn to answer questions and voice your opinions
foreverrocking
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How long did you revise for?
gcse2020(ಠ_ಠ)
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How did you revise?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?