The Student Room Group

Mini pill and depression

Hey girls,

I’ve been taking the desogestrel 75mcg mini pill for a month now after switching from a combined pill, and almost instantly I’ve noticed a horrendous change in my moods. I quickly fall into depressive episodes and I keep having bursts of crying about nothing. I’m also having random bleeding, fatigue and I’m very irritable, so I’m going to my doctor to speak about alternatives. However, after looking into what else is available, it seems like other contraception methods (the injection, implant, etc) all contain progesterone, which is likely the hormone affecting my mental health, so I’m not sure what other option would be best. Anyone been in a similar situation and can give some advice? Would be very appreciated x
Have you thought about getting a coil? The hormonal one does contain progesterone but it's a much lower dose than the one in the pill, the implant and the injection so it may not affect your mood in the same one. The copper one doesn't contain any hormones at all and I think lasts for something like 10 years. They are definitely worth considering.
Reply 2
I have considered it but I’m a little shy about the procedure and I’ve read that they can give you long heavy periods? It’s different for everyone so it’s so hard to tell what would work :/
Original post by Anonymous
I have considered it but I’m a little shy about the procedure and I’ve read that they can give you long heavy periods? It’s different for everyone so it’s so hard to tell what would work :/

The hormonal coil tends to make periods lighter and for some people, their periods stop altogether. It can, however, give you irregular bleeding for the first few months. The procedure is not that bad, it's similar to having a smear but just takes a bit longer.

Might be worth making an appointment with your GP or the sexual health clinic to discuss your options.

Quick Reply

Latest