If the USSR existed today, what would its stance on climate change be?

Watch this thread
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Would it denounce it as western/imperialist/capitalist/Trotrskyist propoganda? It would no doubt be hidden from the citizens of the USSR, and significant weather events would not be reported. Would it instead take the opposite approach and attack capitalism for it?

What about Nazi Germany? Many people believe that the Nazis had a strong environmental message, and in recent years the ideology of eco fascism has grown, allegedly held by the attacker at the NZ mosque and the El Paso shooter. Would they instead blame the third world and aim to genocide them further?
The Lonely don
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago

Im 100% sure the answer would involve vodka
username4986690
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I expect it be denial, th USSR were big fans of deny everything regardless of the evidence.

See Chernobyl for more details.
Ferrograd
Rep:
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
I expect it be denial, th USSR were big fans of deny everything regardless of the evidence.

See Chernobyl for more details.
I mean they kind of created one of the world's worst environmental diasters (the drying up of the Aral sea). World carbon levels actually feel after the ussr collapsed.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
Would it denounce it as western/imperialist/capitalist/Trotrskyist propoganda? It would no doubt be hidden from the citizens of the USSR, and significant weather events would not be reported. Would it instead take the opposite approach and attack capitalism for it?
I think they'd do both. Isolate their citizens from the information, and on the outside, blame the West.

Also, the USSR was usually developing industry, regardless of the environmental costs.
Yet another thing is, that being as inefficient as it was, because of central planning, it would certainly refuse to spend resources decreasing emissions.

What about Nazi Germany? Many people believe that the Nazis had a strong environmental message, and in recent years the ideology of eco fascism has grown, allegedly held by the attacker at the NZ mosque and the El Paso shooter. Would they instead blame the third world and aim to genocide them further?
The Generalplan Ost assumed that all Slavs should either be exterminated or turned into illiterate slaves, to create living space for Germans in the Eastern Europe.

If the Nazis faced the problem of climate change today, they'd most likely come to conclusion that emissions can be easily reduced if only the world's populations is reduced by a couple of billions. They'd have probably decided to exterminate most of Africa, or even released some genetically modified bacteria or virus, that would kill everyone who has not been vaccined against it.

I also acutally believe that that this method is already considered sectretly by some very important people in some countries, and they are going to release some lethal diseases before the 2050.
Last edited by PTMalewski; 2 years ago
Talon
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
The USSR wasn't exactly a model country. I wouldn't worry too much about what they would have done.
PTMalewski
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Talon)
The USSR wasn't exactly a model country.
It's like saying that being burned to death with a flamethrower, is not exactly the most pleasant way of killing time.
username5027880
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
To be fair they probably would have done nothing.
AntiMonarchist
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
The USSR would be crying out about it at the UN and clandestinely funding the extinction rebellion and Greta Thunberg phenomena to subvert the west's economy and industry while doing sweet f*** all about it internally.
the bear
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
you can read here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyshtym_disaster

about how the Soviets handled nuclear waste, and how open they were about the world's 3rd worst nuclear accident :rolleyes:
Ferrograd
Rep:
(Original post by Talon)
The USSR wasn't exactly a model country. I wouldn't worry too much about what they would have done.
Neither is the Third Reich, I just think its interesting to see how former countries would deal with current issues.
Ferrograd
Rep:
(Original post by PTMalewski)
I think they'd do both. Isolate their citizens from the information, and on the outside, blame the West.

Also, the USSR was usually developing industry, regardless of the environmental costs.
Yet another thing is, that being as inefficient as it was, because of central planning, it would certainly refuse to spend resources decreasing emissions.

The Generalplan Ost assumed that all Slavs should either be exterminated or turned into illiterate slaves, to create living space for Germans in the Eastern Europe.

If the Nazis faced the problem of climate change today, they'd most likely come to conclusion that emissions can be easily reduced if only the world's populations is reduced by a couple of billions. They'd have probably decided to exterminate most of Africa, or even released some genetically modified bacteria or virus, that would kill everyone who has not been vaccined against it.

I also acutally believe that that this method is already considered sectretly by some very important people in some countries, and they are going to release some lethal diseases before the 2050.
Well, to be fair, mass population is obviously a problem, but Africa has practically zero carbon emissions compared to the west. In the first two weeks of 2020, the average British person will have produced more carbon emissions than citizens in seven african countries.

India and China however are different because they are far more developed than subsaharan Africa.
PTMalewski
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Well, to be fair, mass population is obviously a problem, but Africa has practically zero carbon emissions compared to the west. In the first two weeks of 2020, the average British person will have produced more carbon emissions than citizens in seven african countries.
I was just reconstructing the Nazis' way of thinking. In their eyes, the less advanced civilization, the more inferior humans there were. Surely, African tribes would surely be targeted for extermination be the Nazis sooner than eg. Chinese.
They would come to conclusion, that a billion of humans produces X amount of CO2, so
(Original post by Hypotheticalpost2000Nazis;undefined)
'let's exterminate the least worthy sub-humans left, like we did with Jews and Slavs, and thus decrease emissions without damaging our economy'
The few known vegetarian Nazis would have decided to exterminate Africa, for the love of wild animals alone. Some of them were strongly opposed to hunting.
Last edited by PTMalewski; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (10)
30.3%
They're exactly what I expected (13)