Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluelight)
    the same thing will probably happen with alcohol in years to come, dont drink ever , your kids will learn drinking from you.
    I agree - I think this will happen too. Hope it doesn't, though. The liberal people who are up for letting people have fun within reason need to take control back from all these health freaks and pedants.

(Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Totally man, I love Holland!
    Sweet. A fellow Holland-lover. And from your profile, you seem to be going to my old University. I graduated from Exeter last year. How is it for you there?

(Original post by Dave2)
    Sweet. A fellow Holland-lover. And from your profile, you seem to be going to my old University. I graduated from Exeter last year. How is it for you there?
    Not there yet! Will be as of September ... I should enjoy it.

Holland is my favourite place in the world.

ReputationRep:
    it can be looked at two ways.....

1: my parents smoked so its ok for me to smoke... there healthy so why wouldnt i be if i smoke...
    2: ok my dad is killing himself by smoking i wont...

if there parent isnt physically suffering they wont see that smoking is bad
    it is i guess setting a bad example...
    this advert actually made me stop n think about how me and my friends used to pretend to smoke with sweets when we were 5 or 6...
    x

ReputationRep:
    Not there yet! Will be as of September ... I should enjoy it.

Holland is my favourite place in the world.
    I've been there twice. Not sure I can mention without it getting deleted, but the weed is fantastic! I would love to live there, so that I can smoke in the privacy and comfort of my own home.

Did you make use of any of the drugs or hookers during your visit(s)?

(Original post by Dave2)
    I've been there twice. Not sure I can mention without it getting deleted, but the weed is fantastic! I would love to live there, so that I can smoke in the privacy and comfort of my own home.

Did you make use of any of the drugs or hookers during your visit(s)?
    Cannabis and magic mushrooms yes: prostitutes, no.

ReputationRep:
    All I can say OP is that you should pay no attention to adverts, no matter how much they try to wind you up.

Keep your head clear and think for yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Cannabis and magic mushrooms yes: prostitutes, no.
    Nice. On my first visit, I ate 15g of mm before getting onto the plane back to the UK. That was pretty cool. Didn't take any on the second, cuz I got too freaked out. Taken it four times - my first time always made me cautious. I took 30g when it was legal in the UK, and it was crazy. There was a point where I looked down at my feet and thought that they had been stolen and replaced with somebody else's. My initial thought was, "****, I've left my feet at my mate's house!" After a while, I got myself together and got a grip - "It's just cuz you're on magic mushrooms." Only took 15g a time since then!

Taken LSD too, though, and that was pretty fun. Less whimsical (mush trips for me were like an adventure, either bad or good), and a lot deeper and more personal.

The second time in Dam, I thought I would get a prostitute out, but as the trip approached and it became more like a reality, I rethought. And seeing it first-hand, it was just too sordid and disgusting. People have said to me it's like a candy store. I didn't get that. Some of the hooks were gorgeous, but it's still just like ****s by different breeds of dogs. Seeing them there with cigarettes and cans of Heineken, many of them with wide eyes, or looking emaciated... Many of them are foreign immigrants and many of them are forced into prostitution. The reality isn't nice.

Walking through it stoned, and all over Holland stoned, just sent me on a major philosophising trip, analysing everything. They allow everything to happen, but you still need to respect their rules and boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    It's a fact - if it wern't proven to be true then it wouldn't be allowed to be broadcast

ReputationRep:
    i'm a non-smoker, and i don't feel that this advert demonises smokers. i mean i know it makes smoking out to be a bad thing, but the way i see it, it's just encouraging smokers to think about the effects of their habit on their children. most smokers are aware of the dangers of smoking but still choose to do it, yet i'm sure a lot wouldn't want their own children to start smoking because of the health risks involved. the advert is just making peole aware that by smoking, they are increasing the risk of their children starting to smoke, so if they don't want that to happen then they should think about it and do something about it. i think the op is over-reacting tbh... no offence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shask)

WRONG.

Just because smoking is widely hated and demonised doesn't change the fact that it's seen as "cool", in fact, the external hate probably makes it even all the more "cooler" to the people who do smoke. Do you think that group of hooded scals who hang out smoking near the railway bridge where I live care about some government official or whatnot hating on them? No, they wouldn't care, and they'd be even more inclined to rebel, and even more likely to smoke.

I'd have a chat with them if I were you, or you'll end up a choking, spluttering wreck soon enough. My dad used to smoke anywhere, now the rest of us have kicked him out the house and he smokes on the step :p:

Weirdly though, even when he smokes outside, and I'm e.g. on the computer, a good 2 rooms away from the house door, you can still detect the smoke (I get a tingly nose and sneeze).
    Wrong :rolleyes:

That is more an ingroup sort of thing. The majority of the population dont view smoking as cool, they see it as a long term way of damaging your health. You could say it about any kind of group out there, on an ingroup level one behaviour could be seen as cool whereas the vast population who are not part of that group view the behaviour differently.

Also, many people would like to quit smoking anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave2)
    The second time in Dam, I thought I would get a prostitute out, but as the trip approached and it became more like a reality, I rethought. And seeing it first-hand, it was just too sordid and disgusting. People have said to me it's like a candy store. I didn't get that. Some of the hooks were gorgeous, but it's still just like ****s by different breeds of dogs. Seeing them there with cigarettes and cans of Heineken, many of them with wide eyes, or looking emaciated... Many of them are foreign immigrants and many of them are forced into prostitution. The reality isn't nice.
    easy now, those 'hookers' (forced into prostitution) come from the industry you support when you buy illegal drugs in the UK :rolleyes:. I'd have thought that a quick shag would have been nothing compared to a nice bit of LSD

I just find it funny how you buy illegal stuff which damages your health (and i'm sure an experienced user like you will know that, despite there being benefits too, drugs pose health risks), which keeps a bunch of guys extremely rich in a lucrative illegal trade and keeps you stuck on the bottom of the ladder paying money to get a high. And whats more, if you get caught with it then you get arrested lol.

And then when you face a part of reality where someone is made to shag people for money against her will you bail! Reality too much to handle huh? :rolleyes:.

Personally i have no problem with drug users. I just hate them because of the reasons they take drugs for, and their lack of strength to deal with their own problems like any other person would. For the drug user who is recreational i have not one problem with - you can compare it to other drugs such as alcohol etc. The reasons i dont take drugs are simple; see above + friends have been lost through drugs + other methods to 'get high' which dont involve external drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave2)
    So it's OK for you to destroy the environment for everybody, including people who don't drive and cycle instead, but it's NOT OK for smokers to smoke either on their own property where it only affects them or those who CHOOSE to come into their house, or out in the open air where it affects NOBODY?
    Lol! Check this guy out, he's trying to make me feel guilty for driving. But of course, he doesn't drive! :rolleyes:

I don't see the issue - smokers, don't smoke in my face / near me, and you can do whatever you like

(Original post by daytona01)
    Wrong :rolleyes:

That is more an ingroup sort of thing. The majority of the population dont view smoking as cool, they see it as a long term way of damaging your health. You could say it about any kind of group out there, on an ingroup level one behaviour could be seen as cool whereas the vast population who are not part of that group view the behaviour differently.
    You do realise that people like to deviate from the mainstream? It's called "rebellion", smoking is another way for people to rebel in their own way, along with say, wearing gothic-clothes or whatever. Your argument = over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shask)
    Lol! Check this guy out, he's trying to make me feel guilty for driving. But of course, he doesn't drive! :rolleyes:

I don't see the issue - smokers, don't smoke in my face / near me, and you can do whatever you like

You do realise that people like to deviate from the mainstream? It's called "rebellion", smoking is another way for people to rebel in their own way, along with say, wearing gothic-clothes or whatever. Your argument = over.
    thats what i was saying lol.. but it is on the individual level! In terms of whole 'social groups' many wouldn't view smoking as cool. Just as many wouldn't consider heavy metal cool because of individual differences.

Are you suggesting that smoking can be classed similarly to other activities SUCH as skateboarding? Both things can damage your health (you could try and grind some rail and end up with a broken leg, for example) but many people consider it cool. In that regard yes, but i doubt the general population, which is not representative of either of the above groups, considers either activity cool (maybe the skateboarding because those people are actually DOING SOMETHING as apposed to the stoner).

Sorry to be totally honest i just wanted to do an impression of you with the 'wrong' bit :yep:

I think the other comment i made will spark off a big debate anyway once their high ends :re: Should keep me entertained watching the recreational drug user 'argue' with the guy who has no real problems with drugs but has simply pointed out the reality of the situation. Roll on entertainment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shask)

Can you not deviate from the mainstream and do something useful or innovative at the same time?

Rebelling by drinking yourself stupid is just sad. Ditto smoking and wearing freaky clothes or taking drugs.

Stand out because you have a talent or the wish to save the planet, not because you dye your hair pink!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinglepupskye)
    Can you not deviate from the mainstream and do something useful or innovative at the same time?

Rebelling by drinking yourself stupid is just sad. Ditto smoking and wearing freaky clothes or taking drugs.

Stand out because you have a talent or the wish to save the planet, not because you dye your hair pink!
    You do realise I agree with you? :p:

ReputationRep:
    If the government care so much about our health, why don't they make smoking tobacco illegal? Oh yah, we all know the answer to that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Last Summer's Dream)
    If the government care so much about our health, why don't they make smoking tobacco illegal? Oh yah, we all know the answer to that one.
    Have you heard of Prohibition? Do you know how successful that was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shask)
    No, I believe he is trying to point out hypocrisy in another argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Last Summer's Dream)
    Because, perhaps for all their violations of liberty, they still have some degree of concern for the concept.

ReputationRep:
    How did this smoking thread turn into one about Holland, drugs and prostitutes?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.