The Student Room Group

GCSEs and applying for sixth forms

I am going to have my GCSE exams this year, and I'm finding applying for sixth forms quite stressful. Two of the A levels that I want to do are Biology and Chemistry. In the Mocks, I got a grade 5/5 for science and my teacher prediction is 6/5. My current school doesn't have Chemistry as an A level and instead Chemistry is 'under construction' so I haven't considered applying due to this. The entry requirements in most sixth forms are 7/7 to choose the A levels I want to do, I just feel like even if I apply I won't be able to enroll but I don't want to change what A levels I want to do for sixth form. My question is what would happen if I attempt to re-apply after GCSEs results are known to my sixth form choices and all of them are oversubscribed?
(edited 4 years ago)
If you attempt to re-apply and it's full they'll just reject you. Best thing would be to apply to all of them and then reject the ones you don't want to go to on enrollment day, that way you can leave it to those who didn't apply to fill your space (rather than the other way around).

I would take the grade boundaries into account though, they're there for a reason. No point doing an A level that's super hard and painful to complete only to suffer in university choices. Think more about what you want to do in uni and what they require. A lot of smart people take humanities, in fact as someone who takes bio and chem I would never be able to cope with an essay subject (besides Law since I enjoy the memorisation aspect of it).

I went from a 4 in most subjects to 7s in a month so just revise effectively rather than extensively. If all else fails there's always that one sixth form that takes everyone and it's undoubtedly one of the best places to go if you are highly motivated since your sixth form's average grades and your grades do get compared in uni applications (if your school's average is A*AA and you're getting ABB it's 'bad' but if the average is BCC and you're getting ABB you're a genius).
Reply 2
Original post by nestle crunch
If you attempt to re-apply and it's full they'll just reject you. Best thing would be to apply to all of them and then reject the ones you don't want to go to on enrollment day, that way you can leave it to those who didn't apply to fill your space (rather than the other way around).

I would take the grade boundaries into account though, they're there for a reason. No point doing an A level that's super hard and painful to complete only to suffer in university choices. Think more about what you want to do in uni and what they require. A lot of smart people take humanities, in fact as someone who takes bio and chem I would never be able to cope with an essay subject (besides Law since I enjoy the memorisation aspect of it).

I went from a 4 in most subjects to 7s in a month so just revise effectively rather than extensively. If all else fails there's always that one sixth form that takes everyone and it's undoubtedly one of the best places to go if you are highly motivated since your sixth form's average grades and your grades do get compared in uni applications (if your school's average is A*AA and you're getting ABB it's 'bad' but if the average is BCC and you're getting ABB you're a genius).

Thank you for replying, I found it really helpful overall. I do tend to revise hard rather than smart. What would be your top tip for revising effectively?
what other a level do u wanna take
Original post by m04aria
Thank you for replying, I found it really helpful overall. I do tend to revise hard rather than smart. What would be your top tip for revising effectively?

Do past paper questions by topic: I bought the CGP combined science trilogy revision guide and the CGP exam question practice and when I finished a topic in bio for example, I would do the page of PPQs and mark them. Hands down one of the most helpful methods.
Skip the aesthetics: As I see, a lot of people in GCSE's are still finding out how they best revise and in turn copy pinterest pages. Make your notes ASAP and make them visual but don't spend all your time creating that perfect watercolour font and making sure you have no mistakes on the page. Mistakes help you learn because they trigger your emotional memory which gets embedded into long-term memory.
Rewrite: This might just be a personal preference but I don't just mean rewrite notes. Get the revision guide and write your notes in tiny crammed writing. The act of writing itself helps you remember things so you don't need to use that much paper, just cram one topic in the margin and the next between the first 3 lines.
Track: Track revision hours. You can do this on excel by making a timetable (and a little total of how many hours you did per week in the corner) or you can just write down the number of hours you revised in a day. Always motivates me to make sure the hours of each subject are equal and that I have filled it in a little for the day.

Sorry if this was a bit long but I hope it helps! If you need anymore advice feel free to hmu
Reply 5
Original post by nestle crunch
Do past paper questions by topic: I bought the CGP combined science trilogy revision guide and the CGP exam question practice and when I finished a topic in bio for example, I would do the page of PPQs and mark them. Hands down one of the most helpful methods.
Skip the aesthetics: As I see, a lot of people in GCSE's are still finding out how they best revise and in turn copy pinterest pages. Make your notes ASAP and make them visual but don't spend all your time creating that perfect watercolour font and making sure you have no mistakes on the page. Mistakes help you learn because they trigger your emotional memory which gets embedded into long-term memory.
Rewrite: This might just be a personal preference but I don't just mean rewrite notes. Get the revision guide and write your notes in tiny crammed writing. The act of writing itself helps you remember things so you don't need to use that much paper, just cram one topic in the margin and the next between the first 3 lines.
Track: Track revision hours. You can do this on excel by making a timetable (and a little total of how many hours you did per week in the corner) or you can just write down the number of hours you revised in a day. Always motivates me to make sure the hours of each subject are equal and that I have filled it in a little for the day.

Sorry if this was a bit long but I hope it helps! If you need anymore advice feel free to hmu

thank you so much, I'm currently trying to make my timetable on excel to keep better track of revision, this has definitely helped me a lot! If I have anymore questions i won't hesitate to contact again
Reply 6
Original post by hallaluliah
what other a level do u wanna take

sorry to reply so late, I'm looking to take mathematics

Quick Reply

Latest