Muhtasim Ali
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello everyone I am doing BPTC at City but looking at the way this course is structured I really regret choosing this course. The reason why I wanted to study this course is because back in my country people tend to value lawyers who did BPTC from UK this is may be British ruled us for 200 years and we still have that colonial mind set. But this course is not for me looking at some of my friends they did some work experience and then chose this course. I was just wondering why these BPTC providers take you when you are not prepared to do this course. I think the whole BPTC course is flawed and back dated.
AgentBlue94
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Muhtasim Ali)
Hello everyone I am doing BPTC at City but looking at the way this course is structured I really regret choosing this course. The reason why I wanted to study this course is because back in my country people tend to value lawyers who did BPTC from UK this is may be British ruled us for 200 years and we still have that colonial mind set. But this course is not for me looking at some of my friends they did some work experience and then chose this course. I was just wondering why these BPTC providers take you when you are not prepared to do this course. I think the whole BPTC course is flawed and back dated.
They’re private education providers mostly interested in your money. If you don’t like it, resign at the earliest opportunity and see if there is any hope of getting some money back.

As to whether you we’re prepared to do the course, this is really anyone’s responsibility but your own. If you’re not 100% certain about doing additional vocational training then why do it in he first place.

Perhaps speak to the university student support services first, they are there to help you in time such as this.
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Muhtasim Ali)
You have accepted that the course is "not for you", and seem to have attributed that to you basing the decision to do the course on the prestige that comes with it rather than making any proper attempt to inform yourself as to what the course entails. It is not for the course provider to ensure that you are applying for a course that is "for you". There is a legitimate argument to be had regarding the content of the course, but all of that information was there for you if you had cared to look for it. I get the frustration with undertaking an expensive course that you're not suited to, but the blame for that decision in this instance seems to be entirely on you.

Practically, you should certainly make enquiries as to whether you can abandon the course at this stage and receive some sort of refund, but I highly doubt that that is possible given that you're about half way through. In which case the decision is whether to abandon it anyway, or to push on. Even if you're not suited to it I would imagine the right decision is to push through and do your best to pass it. Ultimately if you manage to do that you'll still get the benefit of doing it, even if with hindsight you wouldn't have done it at all. If there is any hope at all of you passing it, I would try to do so.
leage_beagle
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)
You have accepted that the course is "not for you", and seem to have attributed that to you basing the decision to do the course on the prestige that comes with it rather than making any proper attempt to inform yourself as to what the course entails. It is not for the course provider to ensure that you are applying for a course that is "for you". There is a legitimate argument to be had regarding the content of the course, but all of that information was there for you if you had cared to look for it. I get the frustration with undertaking an expensive course that you're not suited to, but the blame for that decision in this instance seems to be entirely on you.

Practically, you should certainly make enquiries as to whether you can abandon the course at this stage and receive some sort of refund, but I highly doubt that that is possible given that you're about half way through. In which case the decision is whether to abandon it anyway, or to push on. Even if you're not suited to it I would imagine the right decision is to push through and do your best to pass it. Ultimately if you manage to do that you'll still get the benefit of doing it, even if with hindsight you wouldn't have done it at all. If there is any hope at all of you passing it, I would try to do so.
Hi Crazy Jamie,

Not sure this is entirely fair. I am a relatively long time lurker/occasional answerer on here and I tend to agree with your posts and think you provide an excellent perspective on practice. But as a current BPTC student, I'm not sure this caveat emptor approach is entirely fair - the providers market the BPTC aggressively, boasting its transferability, prestige etc, in a way that fails to match any reality I recognise.

Though you say all the information is out there for people who care to look, I never found it especially easy to get information that would be really helpful in determining what skills the course would require beyond bland and vague information about public speaking, analytical skills etc. Placing the burden and on the student to determine whether that is suitable for them is one way of doing things, but I think the providers share a good portion of the responsibility, particularly as they are run for profit. The course has a pretty abominable reputation among student and recently qualified barristers, contributed to in part by the fact that there are people on the course for whom it is clearly not appropriate, and this is not good for those students, for their peers, or for anyone else.

Muhatsim Ali, have you tried speaking to your group rep, inn of court rep, or anyone else about anything you could do to make the year less burdensome in the event you decide to continue? Feel free to PM me if you would prefer to talk to someone outside your immediate group!
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by leage_beagle)
Hi Crazy Jamie,

Not sure this is entirely fair. I am a relatively long time lurker/occasional answerer on here and I tend to agree with your posts and think you provide an excellent perspective on practice. But as a current BPTC student, I'm not sure this caveat emptor approach is entirely fair - the providers market the BPTC aggressively, boasting its transferability, prestige etc, in a way that fails to match any reality I recognise.

Though you say all the information is out there for people who care to look, I never found it especially easy to get information that would be really helpful in determining what skills the course would require beyond bland and vague information about public speaking, analytical skills etc. Placing the burden and on the student to determine whether that is suitable for them is one way of doing things, but I think the providers share a good portion of the responsibility, particularly as they are run for profit. The course has a pretty abominable reputation among student and recently qualified barristers, contributed to in part by the fact that there are people on the course for whom it is clearly not appropriate, and this is not good for those students, for their peers, or for anyone else.

Muhatsim Ali, have you tried speaking to your group rep, inn of court rep, or anyone else about anything you could do to make the year less burdensome in the event you decide to continue? Feel free to PM me if you would prefer to talk to someone outside your immediate group!
Don't get me wrong; the BPTC and equivalent previous courses have quite rightly come under criticism over time in various respects, and I can think of numerous situations where I would have sympathy with students having issues with it. To that end I actually agree with a lot of what you've written in your post. But the point is well made in the first reply in the thread that BPTC providers have an interest in marketing their services in a way that will encourage students to enrol on the course. It is not for the providers to ensure that the course is right for the student beyond meeting the necessary minimum requirements; it is for the student to establish that. I may have read the OP wrong in terms of the issue that he is having with the course, but my reading of his post is such that his issue appears to be that he fundamentally didn't properly inform himself before enrolling on the course. He says he was not "prepared", but providing he meets the minimum requirements I'm not sure how a provider can realistically or practically establish whether or not students are prepared for the course, and in any event I don't see how that would be their responsibility. If I have misunderstood his position then fair enough, but the post reads to me very much like the issue is with the OP in this particular case. That doesn't, of course, exonerate BPTC providers in relation to other legitimate criticism, of which there is much.
heidggbh
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AgentBlue94)
They’re private education providers mostly interested in your money.
Pretty sure only two of the eight BPTC providers are actually private institutions.
Last edited by heidggbh; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (28)
5.7%
Uncertainty around my education (56)
11.41%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (57)
11.61%
Lack of purpose or motivation (66)
13.44%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (27)
5.5%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (21)
4.28%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (52)
10.59%
Financial worries (29)
5.91%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
4.07%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.52%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
2.85%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (48)
9.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (41)
8.35%

Watched Threads