mmikolajmm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi. I’m currently in year 12 studying Biology, Chemistry and History A Level. I really wanted to study German, but it wasn’t available at my Sixth Form.
Does anyone know any UK universities with strong language departments that offer language programmes? I’m considering studying biochemistry or a life science at Uni, but if there was any way to carry on learning german (or a new language) alongside this I’d love to know.

So far I’ve found ‘biochemistry with a modern language’ at Manchester, although I’d have to do another language from scratch- not German.
Essentially, which universities (if any) offer good language programmes for people studying other degrees?
Thanks for any help or answers
N. Auditoré
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by mmikolajmm)
Hi. I’m currently in year 12 studying Biology, Chemistry and History A Level. I really wanted to study German, but it wasn’t available at my Sixth Form.
Does anyone know any UK universities with strong language departments that offer language programmes? I’m considering studying biochemistry or a life science at Uni, but if there was any way to carry on learning german (or a new language) alongside this I’d love to know.

So far I’ve found ‘biochemistry with a modern language’ at Manchester, although I’d have to do another language from scratch- not German.
Essentially, which universities (if any) offer good language programmes for people studying other degrees?
Most universities have language centres ranging from beginning to expert to learn languages. Funny u mentioned Manchester as they have a great language centre with about 14 languages including German if I’m correct. I’m planning on doing one of the Spanish courses
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
For degrees “with German or modern languages”, they probably want you to do an alevel in modern languages or be proficient at a level level or C1 so I would check their requirements btw. You could go with to an uni’s language centres as all universities have a language centre available to students, staff and the public - students and staff probably have a discount. You could also look at the course and see if you are able to take a module in another language in one of your years. I think Newcastle does but I’m not too sure. However, the language centre is probably your best way to learn whilst doing your degree beside teaching it yourself.
Oniramma
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by mmikolajmm)

UCLan offer language certificates and free Rosetta Stone in any language you want at any level you choose. You can also choose it as an elective so you’d have some German classes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.65%
No - I have already returned home (20)
12.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
20.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.95%

Watched Threads