The Student Room Group

How to have more confidence in my body?

I’m 17, female, size 10-12, 5”5, my mum says I’m skinny, but I’d say I’m average weight with a small belly which I’m dying to get rid of. Anyway, I’m probably the most introverted introvert you’ll ever meet and I have really low self-esteem, mainly due to my appearance. My face is kinda bland, I have fair skin, bright blue eyes and a small button noise, but because I doubt myself so much, I wear foundation, mascara and fill in my eyebrows wherever I go. That said, I see girls of a larger size than me who are so much more confident, not that they shouldn’t be, and who just don’t care what the world think and I yearn to be like that so much. So how do I care less about my size, as it’s gotten to the point where I’ll skip meals
If you are actually overweight then eating less and more healthily probably isn’t a bad thing.

Having said that, I’d ask why you actually care so much about what other people think of your size. Suppose you could snap your fingers and make yourself thinner in an instant; what difference is that actually going to make to your daily life?

To begin with, remember the “spotlight effect”; the tendency to believe that others notice you far more than they actually do. You may be constantly thinking about your size, but I can guarantee that other people barely notice in comparison; they’re too busy worrying about their own problems. Even if you shrink down to 8-10 instead of 10-12, most people won’t care or even realise.

And secondly, let’s say some people do notice. Okay... so what? Again, what actual difference do you expect that to make to your life?
(edited 4 years ago)
Show it off

I was insecure about my acne And discolouration so I couldn’t stop wearing makeup. Then one day just stopped wearing it altogether and realised I’m safe and ok. I’m beautiful just the way I am and so are u
I have the same "small belly". Everyone has it. If you want to get rid of it then you need to work out very hard or cut back on your eating, which isn't the best unless you are eating far too much.

I had social anxiety and thought everyone was too disgusted by me to even be my friend. About 4 years on, I'm completely different. I like talking to people and meeting new friends.

Start by writing down what you like about yourself. Then, focus on the things you'd like to improve. Reflect on them. Are they really that bad? What can I do to make myself feel better? Am I eating junk food when I could be eating healthier? It's time to accept your own "flaws".
(edited 4 years ago)
If you're under eating because of self esteem issues you should seek professional help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending