mmikolajmm
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If you’re currently doing a medicine degree, then how did you decide? How did you know that this was the right decision? I’m considering medicine, although I’m apprehensive about committing to a career path that takes 10+ years to complete.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mmikolajmm)
If you’re currently doing a medicine degree, then how did you decide? How did you know that this was the right decision? I’m considering medicine, although I’m apprehensive about committing to a career path that takes 10+ years to complete.
Work experience.

And research into the career.

This is a good place to start: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
Mutmit287
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
work experience was a good way to get an insight into the career - try and get to do it with a range of doctors at different stages of training as junior doctors day to day work is very different to that of consultants, and it varies a lot depending upon the speciality.

I will admit that I didn't truly know that medicine was for me until my 3rd year of the degree, and I had serious doubts during 1st and second year about whether I was good enough, and whether I was a good fit. you have to do your research into other careers as well and see if you can find a better fit.

I tried vetinary out (hated that animals couldn't talk to me and found it way to emotive and controversial) and toyed with the idea of doing a science degree but didn't like the jobs at the end (lab based mostly and wanted a good amount of human interaction).

also talk to people, teachers and family and ask what they think about your choices. looking back we had a very harsh teacher at college who was reluctant to some people applying to medicine, but thinking about it, it was because they wouldnt have been a.very good fit.

best of luck
Ameliana
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I haven’t done Medicen, but nearly everyone in my family is doing Medicen or is a doctor. Think about it this way not only are you gaining a degree in Medicen you’ll also gain knowledge which will enable you to help those around you. Having doctors in the family has been great 👍🏾 because someone always knows what is wrong and what to do next. You will gain so much knowledge and skills. I get that your thinking is it worth the years and the effort I’m putting in. Just ask your self am I passionate about this or do I see myself doing something else? I wish you the best of luck in your decision. 👋🏾
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If something is worth doing and you’re dedicated to it, it’s still worth pursuing no matter how many years it takes to get there. Unless you have other priorities in your life, I don’t know why the long career path is putting you off?

You never really complete a career path in Medicine. As they say, lifelong learning, a career for life and all that jazz.
Last edited by asif007; 1 year ago
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did not "know" nor do I really know now - I'd leave if the right opportunity came along. I think it's irrational to not have that position.

I just did my research, got appropriate experience and made the best decision I could at the time.

I suggest you do plenty of reading and look into getting some experience and if you have specific concerns about the career, there are lots of med students and doctors on TSR
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (177)
58.42%
I don't have everything I need (126)
41.58%

Watched Threads