The Student Room Group

How do you revise AS level Sociology?

I’ve been trying so hard to revise it and nothing will stick!! I’ve tried mind maps, cue cards and I made a chart listing 3 sociologists/studies to remember per topic, but I haven’t really had time to memorise it yet. Please help :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymousamie
I’ve been trying so hard to revise it and nothing will stick!! I’ve tried mind maps, cue cards and I made a chart listing 3 sociologists/studies to remember per topic, but I haven’t really had time to memorise it yet. Please help :smile:

What I like to do sometimes is to record myself for a minute or two trying to explain a concept/trying to memorise it as though I am teaching someone the subject. Then, I listen back and I make a note of what I was missing/ any keywords I missed out.

Active recall is really good. So get a few keywords onto a piece of paper, and try to write down anything and everything you can think of in that subject for a period of time e.g. 5 mins. Once the time is up, then fill any bits you missed out with a different coloured pen and then redo do it again and again till you have listed all the things you need to know.

Exam paper questions are really good, for sociology I personally make essay plans and that really helps me.

You can also make your own powerpoints, and have it layed out the way you want it to. If you want you can teach it as a lesson to something like your cat/ teddy bear.

It seems like you are using flashcards ineffectively.I personally use online flashcards on quizlet. My method is, memorise the first card, test yourself, then memorise the second card, test yourself.If you get the second card wrong then start all over again back to the first card.Also talk the answers out loud, you are more likely to be able to retain the information more if you're making more of an effort and the more effort you make, the more it will be second nature.

Hope that helps.
Original post by hxdzz_m
What I like to do sometimes is to record myself for a minute or two trying to explain a concept/trying to memorise it as though I am teaching someone the subject. Then, I listen back and I make a note of what I was missing/ any keywords I missed out.

Active recall is really good. So get a few keywords onto a piece of paper, and try to write down anything and everything you can think of in that subject for a period of time e.g. 5 mins. Once the time is up, then fill any bits you missed out with a different coloured pen and then redo do it again and again till you have listed all the things you need to know.

Exam paper questions are really good, for sociology I personally make essay plans and that really helps me.

You can also make your own powerpoints, and have it layed out the way you want it to. If you want you can teach it as a lesson to something like your cat/ teddy bear.

It seems like you are using flashcards ineffectively.I personally use online flashcards on quizlet. My method is, memorise the first card, test yourself, then memorise the second card, test yourself.If you get the second card wrong then start all over again back to the first card.Also talk the answers out loud, you are more likely to be able to retain the information more if you're making more of an effort and the more effort you make, the more it will be second nature.

Hope that helps.

Thank you SO much that’s brilliant. I’ll defo try the PowerPoint method today and change the way I memorise my cue cards!! :smile:
Original post by hxdzz_m

Hope that helps.

When did you start revising in year 12, if you don’t mind me asking?? I’ve been told I don’t have exams until the summer term, so I’m guessing my school doesn’t do mock exams, but I really want to do well and pass this year :frown:
Reply 4
When did you start revising in year 12, if you don’t mind me asking?? I’ve been told I don’t have exams until the summer term, so I’m guessing my school doesn’t do mock exams, but I really want to do well and pass this year :frown:

Im in year 12, I mostly just did my homework in sept-oct and considered that reivison, nov- dec I do revision on top of homework.
I stick by the "Rule of 8 ":
8 hours of sleep
8 hours of work (minus the school lessons you do, dont count frees unless you are studying in them)
8 hours of leisure ( basically anything you want)

Also hecticteacheralevel sociology is a good website for sociology revision
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you SO much that’s brilliant. I’ll defo try the PowerPoint method today and change the way I memorise my cue cards!! :smile:

Whats good about this as well is that the power point, if you do it on Microsoft, you can use the function which allows you to put it as two slides on one page, and so you can print them out and use them as revision cards.
Original post by hxdzz_m
Whats good about this as well is that the power point, if you do it on Microsoft, you can use the function which allows you to put it as two slides on one page, and so you can print them out and use them as revision cards.

Hey I don't know if our boards match or not but the content can't be all that different.
We have a 25 marker asking "Asses the view that the nuclear family is the dominant family structure in modern industrial society". Do you know the for and against points for this?
Reply 7
Original post by ANO-NI-MUS
Hey I don't know if our boards match or not but the content can't be all that different.
We have a 25 marker asking "Asses the view that the nuclear family is the dominant family structure in modern industrial society". Do you know the for and against points for this?

You could include Talcott Parsons: Saying that he said that ‘isolated nuclear family’ is a ‘productive unit’. The termed ‘isolated’ comes from idea that families in modern industrial society are isolated because they’re no longer connected to wider kinship relations.

To evaluate this you could say there are many different kinds of families,(family diversity), such as the beanpole family, the reconstituted family, single parent families, add in a few stats from the Office of Nat Stats website.

Also you can use Murdock as an example : G.P. Murdock conducted a study entitled Social Structure in 1949 .In this study of 250 societies of various types Murdock provided a definition of the family and a theory suggesting that the nuclear family was a universal social unit.

You can evaluate this by saying that the theory was old, and use the postmodernist perspective.
Maybe , It is not possible to put things together as one category. It is not possible to make general statements about “the family”, as in ‘being good for society’ or ‘being exploitative’, as there is no such thing as “the” family. Families vary too much for generalisations.

Hope that helps
Reply 8

I do psychology, and all there is to do is memorizing.
is it the same with sociology?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending