Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    you will get promoted if you are good at the job. end of

'Oh, so you're the worlds best investment banker?, oh, but i see you only got a B in RS....we will have to let you go'

Please get real.
    Yeah are you telling me JohnnyM32 that all the people in the top jobs have never got anything below an A before? Absolutely not! I got a couple of B's in GCSE and have predicited myself a few B's at AS - does that mean that i will never get to the top end of my career when i'm older despite how good or crap i am at my job because my B's will 'hinder' my career?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baedalores)
    it may be "second best" but you can still go to college/6th form with it.
    \Yeah, and you can still get a medal for coming 2nd in a sports comp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shask)
    Once again, another judgement of people who get good grades, or strive to better themselves academically. Even if there was massive correlation, what would it matter to you? Dare I suggest that if you constantly need to console yourself with the negative aspects of others' personalities, you're the one with the issue? Just because they have different aspirations to you, doesn't mean they're worse off or better off than you.

I give up, it's obvious this judgemental crap will never stop :rolleyes:
    I've said over and over that i don't have a problem with people having different aspirations. It's when people come on here mouthing about how great they are and their grades and how a B is a disaster. That's big headed and wrong. I'm simply pointing out that you're all not so mighty up there with your As and A*s simply because of that - there's much more to life that i'm sure you'll come to appreciate one day. As people have said, you're never going to be held back in a job because of a B at GCSE or A level, that's rubbish. You get into a job, and then they promote you because you're good at it. To be frank, most employers, by the time you're 30 won't care about your grades and education because your experience will count for a darn sight more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poptheglock)
    Its not my problem if getting B's is wow for you and it isn't for me! I aim for the best and the highest out there, if you aim for the avergae then it is your problem. When loads were out partying, some were in studying and htose are the ones who wnat the A's!
    Yet grades aren't all that matters, and being in an average uni is perfectly fine! After all its all about the personalty and how you present yourself that matters in the future, how you deal with life and all. But yet again when you hope for the best and get the average thats a disspointment no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchie_rox)
    can i ask, how old are you?
    I am talking about my school years, and what mattered to me then. I understand that grades aren't the basis of everything, but while you are a student they kinda matter alot to you. And no, no employee looks at your GCSE's , but universities do and it kinda is the type of uni you end up graduating from that plays a big role in your employment. So for example if your doing economics the employers will be hunting for students around warwick and LSE the most. thats why we have job expectancies. Besides when you are at school your parents kinda care about your grades too, and disspointing them isn't something anyone fancies.
    Yet I believe that you should try and give the maximum effort you can put into your work and if you did everything but you couldn't make it, then at least you tried and you'll sleep with a relaxed conscious. I am 18.

ReputationRep:
    For my GCSEs there are 4 subjects where I'd be disappointed with a B, 3 subjects where I'm hoping for a B but would be surprised if I got any higher, and 1 subject where I'd be surprised if I get as high as a B!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ObaMartins9)
    It's when people come on here mouthing about how great they are and their grades and how a B is a disaster. That's big headed and wrong.
    Should I hypothetically (because I wouldn't) "come on here and complain about a B", why would you have a problem with it? There's nothing big headed and wrong about it. We've all discussed countless times that people have different levels of achievement. Obviously someone might be made up to do 10 keepy-ups in a row, but Ronaldinho would probably be disappointed if he could only do 10, don't you think? The same applies here

(Original post by ObaMartins9)
    I'm simply pointing out that you're all not so mighty up there with your As and A*s simply because of that - there's much more to life that i'm sure you'll come to appreciate one day. As people have said, you're never going to be held back in a job because of a B at GCSE or A level, that's rubbish. You get into a job, and then they promote you because you're good at it. To be frank, most employers, by the time you're 30 won't care about your grades and education because your experience will count for a darn sight more.
    I've had this exact same discussion before. It seems like your argument is based around hyperbole - nobody here really thinks what you're trying to say everyone thinks. Can you see people saying "I got a B - my life is over!" ? No, you can't, that's because that's b*******. You're stupidly trying to argue something everyone agrees with anyway. It's obvious people would prefer an A* over a B, period, because it's a better grade - and there's nothing much more to say on the matter than that, really.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    As if getting a few Bs will stop you getting into a top uni lmao?

Bs are good. A/A*s are great. Cs are average. TSR is full of the people who are really into their work. Bs are above average so dw about it. I'll get Bs and As come august anyway.

edit - Shask, you talk about not being big headed yet you compared yourself to Ronaldinho lmao?

ReputationRep:
    to me a B means i was capable but just didn't push that bit hard enough, so i am always disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallon)
    um, yes. It's implied. And there's no need to be arrogant and tell me to read it again.
    Um, no. Seriously, read it again, a lot more carefully. :rolleyes:

I wasn't talking about me, I was talking about a hypothetical, non-existent person. There wasn't any possible way that I could compare myself to Ronaldinho, because I was never mentioned.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Shask)
    Um, no. Seriously, read it again, a lot more carefully. :rolleyes:

I wasn't talking about me, I was talking about a hypothetical, non-existent person. There wasn't any possible way that I could compare myself to Ronaldinho, because I was never mentioned.

You don't get it. That's not even the point. Nobody here, or anyone with 10 A*s or anything, could compare themselves to him lmao
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You don't get it. That's not even the point. Nobody here, or anyone with 10 A*s or anything, could compare themselves to him lmao
    Seriously off topic, but Ronaldinho is way past his best anyway.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    Seriously off topic, but Ronaldinho is way past his best anyway.

yeah going to Milan so he's obviously became too old like the rest of their team.

erhum... anyway yeah Bs are looked on as decent grades really. It's probably the smallest difference between a C and a B though, or B and an A in terms of importance.

ReputationRep:
    B is an awful grade. The dwindling standards of today make exams so easy and a B is NO excuse.

ReputationRep:
    I think people with Bs would find some of what is being said unfair and rude. Not everyone can get A*/A, if they did people with A*/A wouldn't be so special. Not everyone is born with super intelligence like most people here. I think a little respect for people is in order.

ReputationRep:
    That's exactly my point - it isn't anyone here, it's a hypothetical, non-existent person... :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Shask)
    That's exactly my point - it isn't anyone here, it's a hypothetical, non-existent person... :rolleyes:
    That hypothetical person would have to be a very clever genius and be one of the best in the world at exams, like Ronaldinho is one of the best in the world at football. And since this thread is about how Bs are overlooked and this is a thread on a forum dedicated to students, you can't possibly compare getting a B to Ronaldinho doing 10 keepy-ups or w/e you said.

ReputationRep:
    That hypothetical person would have to be a very clever genius and be one of the best in the world at exams, like Ronaldinho is one of the best in the world at football. And since this thread is about how Bs are overlooked and this is a thread on a forum dedicated to students, you can't possibly compare getting a B to Ronaldinho doing 10 keepy-ups or w/e you said.
    You just don't get it, do you? I'm not comparing anyone on here to Ronaldinho. Guess I have to explain it to you, :rolleyes:

Obviously a 5 year old might be made up to do 10 keepy-ups in a row, but Ronaldinho would probably be disappointed if he could only do 10

In the same way,
    someone might be really pleased to get some B-grades, but someone else might be disappointed that they only got, say, 50 A*s (they were aiming for 60..)

Get it? Not difficult.. :rolleyes:

What are you predicted ? It can't be very high. Either that or you're one of those people who are academically brilliant but have absolutely no common sense.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Shask)
    You just don't get it, do you? I'm not comparing anyone on here to Ronaldinho. Guess I have to explain it to you, :rolleyes:

Obviously a 5 year old might be made up to do 10 keepy-ups in a row, but Ronaldinho would probably be disappointed if he could only do 10

In the same way,
    someone might be really pleased to get some B-grades, but someone else might be disappointed that they only got, say, 50 A*s (they were aiming for 60..)

Get it? Not difficult.. :rolleyes:

What are you predicted ? It can't be very high. Either that or you're one of those people who are academically brilliant but have absolutely no common sense.

lol wow so you're trying to judge how good my grades are because we've had a disagreement on an internet forum? Kind of immature and stupid. wow lol I really can't be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    Lol are you still arguing about this Ronaldinho stuff? Shask wasnt comparing himself to ronaldinho, he was using it as an example so that you would be able to comprehend a simple comparison.

Shask's point was actually quite good. Personally I dont think B's alone or if they comprise of most of your GCSEs will be adequate enough to get one into a top uni.

No ones being arrogant. We're being realistic.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.