Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would love to get B's, more than happy as would my parents be even though I'm predicted A's. I mean there's a couple of subjects I want an A in and would be a little disappointed if I didn't get an A in it, mainly because I spent so much time revising. And I have noticed on here a lot of people target A*s but I take the approach that if I get what I want that's all that matters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dandon_30)
    i agree with you...but to summarize what you just said a "B" shows that you are either careless or not clever enough ..so I won't like to belong to either categories! No offence if you got a B, becuase I have gotten a "b" once and reset it to get an A and that time I got a B was becuase I was panicing like hell!
    No, I wouldn't be offended if I had got a B. But only 2 of my results have come through so far, and they were two A*s from last year. However, I am offended by the way you are devaluing Bs. I know people who would do anything to get a single B, and you are saying 'No offence if you got a B'. Also, I was just making the point that getting a B grade is not because of a lack of intelligence, which is what someone said earlier. It is either through lack of hard work for an extremely gifted person or through a lot of hard work for someone else. But saying it like you do makes it sound like a B is a failure. On the contrary - a B should be celebrated and if you are aiming higher than a B, you should at least have the respect to not voice your opinion on how poor Bs are. Think how you would feel if you'd put hours of work in and managed to get a B only for someone to say it is a failure. Before you ask, I'm not predicted Bs either, I am predicted As and A*s but I still feel that it is insulting to say that a B is a disaster.

But, I'm surprised you did get an A or A* in every subject especially in English with some of those poor spelling and grammatical mistakes: 'becuase', 'reset it', 'becuase' again, 'panicing' and 'I won't like to belong to either categories'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliot22)
    But, I'm surprised you did get an A or A* in every subject especially in English with some of those poor spelling and grammatical mistakes: 'becuase', 'reset it', 'becuase' again, 'panicing' and 'I won't like to belong to either categories'
    I laughed at the fact that you didn't end your sentence with any form of punctuation!

I agree though, the B shouldn't be looked down upon as much as it is around here, but at the same time I don't think it's an achievement in most GCSE subjects. GCSEs are not a measure of intelligence - in my opinion, they're a measure of aptitude to a subject, or how much you like it. I say this because I like maths, and hope to get at least an A, but I am not much of an artist, and hope to get a C in that. Some people just don't do well in some subjects, and it should be left at that!

ReputationRep:
    If I get a B in Maths or Music, i'll be delighted. I'll probably get C's in both, because really i'm not very good at either of them.

If I get B's in any of my other subjects I will personally be a bit gutted, as i'm capable of at least an A in them.

ReputationRep:
    Id be happy with loads of B's..

its just the pathetic nerds who care about that ****..

and also.. i only care for an A* in the subjects that matter for me...

ie. Drama, English and RE..

for science.. B's are great (y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elliot22)
    No, I wouldn't be offended if I had got a B. But only 2 of my results have come through so far, and they were two A*s from last year. However, I am offended by the way you are devaluing Bs. I know people who would do anything to get a single B, and you are saying 'No offence if you got a B'. Also, I was just making the point that getting a B grade is not because of a lack of intelligence, which is what someone said earlier. It is either through lack of hard work for an extremely gifted person or through a lot of hard work for someone else. But saying it like you do makes it sound like a B is a failure. On the contrary - a B should be celebrated and if you are aiming higher than a B, you should at least have the respect to not voice your opinion on how poor Bs are. Think how you would feel if you'd put hours of work in and managed to get a B only for someone to say it is a failure. Before you ask, I'm not predicted Bs either, I am predicted As and A*s but I still feel that it is insulting to say that a B is a disaster.

I guess you need to deal with the CIE board not with me! Besides haven't you heard of typing errors?

I am sorry you are failing to understand my point yet once more. I dislike B's because as you have stated earlier it can place you under the criteria that you have failed to put enough effort into your work although you are naturally gifted. Or under the other criteria which states that you have worked hard enough but a "b" is the highest you can get.
    I am not saying that getting a "b" is the end of the world, but to someone who is aiming for A's and has put loads of effort through out the year and examination period you can't deny that it is a disappointment.

It is not about the "b" itself it could be any other grade that is overlooked; it depends on the limits and goals that one puts for himself and the work that one is ready to do in order to reach them. To some getting an "A" is a failure because their goal was the "A*". One girl I know doesn't care about the "A" itself, she cares about how high is her "A", she got a 300 out 0f 300 on her AS physics test. An Italian girl in my class came to school ignorant to the English language as a whole and when she got a "c" it felt like she got the highest grade that was out there. We were all happy for her and no one underestimated her grade, because she pushed her limits and worked hard.

After all it is all up to you, and what satisfies you as a person. But what pisses me off the most is those talented or gifted people who underestimate their abilities or simply decide not to put them into action. Now I am blabbering about B's and all, but results are on Thursday and I know that some exams were extremely hard maybe my maximum effort wasn't good enough, who knows!?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think it's because results are improving steadily as the years go on; B now comes across as more of the average grade for a 16 year old to achieve, while in reality it is probably a C.

Personally I have high standards, (I always said in Year 10 that if I got a B in a Science module that I wanted a resit.) I spent a lot of time revising for the exams and I would be disappointed if I got a B in them. I'd be overjoyed with one in Additional Science though as I found the papers really hard. I think part of it goes on your initial feeling as to how you did in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    the B is overlooked because the standards of results have been improving dramatically for the last 5 years. A lot of people get A*/A grades and a B is considered an underachievement compared to today's standards. i'm not necessarily saying it's bad, but that is now the general perception of it.

ReputationRep:
    because i've gone to kendrick where an A is a fail, and then joined tsr where everyone has 34983240A*s

and in general, because so many more people are getting A*s nowadays?

ReputationRep:
    Because "B" is just the average grade? It's not bad, it's not excellent, it's not special; it's just 'meh'.

And Ghost you silly arrogant goon, stop insulting those who have high expectations of themselves, chances are most people are going to end up work for nerds and the people who really put their effort into their progress and education. One more question I have is, since you already work for Microsoft, why are you here randomly posting on a GCSE board full of 16 year olds? That puzzles me.

I would be happy with a B only in Art, otherwise, I would be devastated. This is were the margin materializes between those who really care about their future and have put effort beforehand hand and those who just have a "meh" attitude about everything to do with their future.

A B is overlooked, because it's nothing special. It's like asking why an average looking person is overlooked compared to one strikingly handsome/beautiful - a lot of people like to shine and excel and the reason why most people "in the real world" are very happy with Bs is because they are usually ones that don't excel. In order to excel you need to set high goals and you need to achieve them, and it annoys me when silly idiots make such stupid comments.

ReputationRep:
    I don't necessarily think Bs are overlooked at GCSE. They're a positive sign of knowledge and ability in every day life. When you're on TSR however, Bs are often overlooked due to the high amount of extremely academic people on the site. This is to be expected however, considering it is The Student Room.:p:

ReputationRep:
    I want to study Medicine at university, so recieving a B in a strong subject would really upset me, knowing that I couldn't a medicial schools minimum requirements for grades.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.