Minimalists 2020 Watch

mathsalevels
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Any minimalists on the Student Room?

I’m 17 and I became interested in minimalism a few months ago and I’ve decluttered quite a lot of things.

Is anyone else living a minimalist lifestyle?
How’s it going?
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No as there is no benefit
mathsalevels
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
No as there is no benefit
Well there’s a lot of benefits you won’t find out if you think that.
Why do you think there are no benefits?
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mathsalevels)
Well there’s a lot of benefits you won’t find out if you think that.
Why do you think there are no benefits?
Because there are none.. why choose to live like a poor person?
mathsalevels
Rep:
?
I don’t know if that’s a rhetorical question but these are some of the benefits.
Name:  78A7D719-3688-40D2-A997-103821222FAE.jpeg
Views: 18
Size:  81.1 KB
Attached files
LordBerkut
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's only useful if you have something meaningful to replace the using/acquiring. If not then you're just being bored with less stuff.
mathsalevels
Rep:
?
(Original post by LordBerkut)
It's only useful if you have something meaningful to replace the using/acquiring. If not then you're just being bored with less stuff
It’s about having the things that make you happy. The things that you get rid of should be the things that bore you and what you don’t want.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don’t know if that’s a rhetorical question but these are some of the benefits.
Name:  78A7D719-3688-40D2-A997-103821222FAE.jpeg
Views: 18
Size:  81.1 KB
Not facts and clearly an opinion.. for example “Less stress” well for a start stress affects people in different ways there is no proof that a minimalist life style results in less stress, it would likely stress me out living like this.

I’ll take another example such as “extra money” one might argue that if you want to continue to live the minimalist life style then having extra money is pointless and useless to you.

I could literally destroy all these points but I can’t be bothered.
mathsalevels
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
Not facts and clearly an opinion.. for example “Less stress” well for a start stress affects people in different ways there is no proof that a minimalist life style results in less stress, it would likely stress me out living like this.

I’ll take another example such as “extra money” one might argue that if you want to continue to live the minimalist life style then having extra money is pointless and useless to you.

I could literally destroy all these points but I can’t be bothered.
Ok, that’s fine, that’s your opinion. Some other people will have similar opinions to you. But I made this chat to hopefully find some other people with similar opinions to me.
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ok, that’s fine, that’s your opinion. Some other people will have similar opinions to you. But I made this chat to hopefully find some other people with similar opinions to me.
Good luck on your search
steamed-hams
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have all I need at uni. The benefits are an always tidy room and little or no washing up to do. Also don't have to spend much time deciding what to wear or have to do multiple washes to clean clothes and hang them around house to dry. I removed a lot of clutter off phone and my screen time dropped from 5 hours a day to 1. But less stuff doesn't mean unhappy etc it's just getting rid off stuff don't need which I found was a lot
Last edited by steamed-hams; 1 month ago
mathsalevels
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by steamed-hams)
I have all I need at uni. The benefits are an always tidy room and little or no washing up to do. Also don't have to spend much time deciding what to wear or have to do multiple washes to clean clothes and hang them around house to dry. I removed a lot of clutter off phone and my screen time dropped from 5 hours a day to 1. But less stuff doesn't mean unhappy etc it's just getting rid off stuff don't need which I found was a lot
That sounds good. Do you feel any different now you’re living more minimally?
Vardhan95
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, I am one.

I was living with even less (no wadrobe) before, now I just have a wadrobe, utensils, two tables, bed and some new clothes, and a gaming PC and keyboard. I am poor through lol. less stress and fewer bills to pay, but a few years back I was really living in poverty (meaning I didnt even have a wadrobe or proper bed (slept on the floor)) that really sucked.

Minimalism is ok, just be sure you are comfortable. Id prefer to buy some more furniture but I don't have the space.

Basically it was a forced minimalism for me. I am yet to see well paid people living like minimalists myself (in real life and not the internet). No offense but Ive only seen poor people living like minimalists (they dont have much of a choice).

On the other hand I have seen some students with a LOT of material possessions.
Last edited by Vardhan95; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads