Why do NHS staff have to pay parking? Watch

AmberDalia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Doesn't make any sense on why any staff should pay parking. All NHS stuff should be able to park free not just night shift staff.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AmberDalia)
Doesn't make any sense on why any staff should pay parking. All NHS stuff should be able to park free not just night shift staff.
I thought Boris was making changes. If they are free to NHS staff then wouldnt they just become the staff car park and cease to be an option for other visitors?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Because the hospital trusts are poor and ass hats in the same turn.
AmberDalia
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
I thought Boris was making changes. If they are free to NHS staff then wouldnt they just become the staff car park and cease to be an option for other visitors?
He did he made night shifts free. But they should have to pay to park their car when their with ill patients inside.
AmberDalia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Napp)
Because the hospital trusts are poor and ass hats in the same turn.
Whose fault is that?
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Whose fault is that?
Their own and various successive governments.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It does seem a shame that NHS staff have to pay to park their cars when most other workers get to park their cars for free in a staff car park (not everyone). My husband works in the NHS and 1.25% of his salary goes on parking - at least the amount they have to pay is fair to all staff regardless of their pay band
AmberDalia
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
It does seem a shame that NHS staff have to pay to park their cars when most other workers get to park their cars for free in a staff car park (not everyone). My husband works in the NHS and 1.25% of his salary goes on parking - at least the amount they have to pay is fair to all staff regardless of their pay band
YH that's true but Boris made it free for night shift staff only. Considering they making massive changes to people's health it should be free
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
YH that's true but Boris made it free for night shift staff only. Considering they making massive changes to people's health it should be free
I think so too - the trouble is most NHS hospitals are in city centres and old buildings with not enough parking for all the people who want to use them. Part of the reason they charge staff to park is not just to raise funds but also to discourage staff from driving to work. It works in my husband's case, he now cycles to work to avoid the charges but some people have to drive to work
Last edited by harrysbar; 3 weeks ago
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Where as I agree with your sentiment one coukd argue that those staff travelling by public transport should have that paid too.

Parking is a scarce resource at hospitals and people should be encouaged to use alternatives to the car where possible. The cost of parking is simply an addition to the cost of commuting. If you don't want to pay it you can make choices about where you live or how you commute.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
NHS staff still pay for night parking. Its just a proposed change from April.

NHS staff have to pay for mandatory training costs and costs of things like General Medical/Nursing council fees, DBS check fees, equipment costs for things like stethoscopes... parking is at least only for those that park, rather than everyone!
nulli tertius
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
when most other workers get to park their cars for free in a staff car park (not everyone).
You won't find many large employers in urban areas with that level of parking. It tends only to be "works" with sites that one employed thousands but now only have staffed that can be counted in hundreds.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (6)
22.22%
My career doesn't need one (3)
11.11%
I'm sick of studying (7)
25.93%
I can't find a course I want to do (1)
3.7%
I don't know enough about them (2)
7.41%