catlol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi, i'm currently at uni but have decided to drop out of my course because it's not right for me and reapply through ucas.

i am applying to do pscyhology at kcl, ucl, bath and bristol.

after previously going through ucas and results day i know that more often than not unis will accept people in which do not meet the entry requirements by sometimes significant margins.

the entry requirements for all 4 are a*aa but i achieved a*ab.

is it realistic for me to be applying to these courses at these particular unis knowing i missed the grades? do any of you attend these unis despite missing the grades???

thank you
Newshie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by catlol)
hi, i'm currently at uni but have decided to drop out of my course because it's not right for me and reapply through ucas.

after previously going through ucas and results day i know that more often than not unis will accept people in which do not meet the entry requirements by sometimes significant margins.

is it realistic for me to be applying to these courses at these particular unis knowing i missed the grades? do any of you attend these unis despite missing the grades???

thank you
1st year UCL chem eng here,my third time doing UCAS. Trying to get into Imperial's comp sci so I'm taking A-level further maths privately. If you can improve that B privately then I think its worth reapplying. They let me in and I resat my A-levels before. I hate my course but I decided to finish the year preferably failing all modules hopefully.
catlol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Newshie)
1st year UCL chem eng here,my third time doing UCAS. Trying to get into Imperial's comp sci so I'm taking A-level further maths privately. If you can improve that B privately then I think its worth reapplying. They let me in and I resat my A-levels before. I hate my course but I decided to finish the year preferably failing all modules hopefully.
ahhh thank you for the advice but not sure if i could put myself through doing a level chem all over again. i'm currently a kcl student so hoping that kcl might let me back for psych but who knows. you are ultimately suggesting that the b is going to give me a ucl rejection - which i am honestly not surprised at. hahah
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

thank you
Ring them all up on Monday and ask them directly if it’s worth applying to psychology with A*AB achieved grades.

They won’t lie to you. If there’s a chance they’ll say so, if it’s an automatic rejection they’ll say so and save you wasting a choice.
Newshie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ahhh thank you for the advice but not sure if i could put myself through doing a level chem all over again. i'm currently a kcl student so hoping that kcl might let me back for psych but who knows. you are ultimately suggesting that the b is going to give me a ucl rejection - which i am honestly not surprised at. hahah
If you dropped out and You got nothing else to do then I dont see why you wouldn't be able to do 1 A-level considering it would make your application more competitive. a B in chem is quite impressive tbh and I'm sure the jump wouldn't require that much work.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Find out the process for transferring at kcl. It’s unlikely they’d want you to apply through UCAS.
catlol
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Ring them all up on Monday and ask them directly if it’s worth applying to psychology with A*AB achieved grades.

They won’t lie to you. If there’s a chance they’ll say so, if it’s an automatic rejection they’ll say so and save you wasting a choice.
honestly i rang up admissions at bristol and kcl on friday and asked and they didn't know - which is why i'm resulting to studentroom lmaoooo

ucl and bath potentially might be more blunt so i could give them a ring but neither are my first choice so the rejection wouldn't hurt

thank you for your advice ^^
catlol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Newshie)
If you dropped out and You got nothing else to do then I dont see why you wouldn't be able to do 1 A-level considering it would make your application more competitive. a B in chem is quite impressive tbh and I'm sure the jump wouldn't require that much work.
think the fact i was 2 marks off an a last year has just left me with a sore spot when it comes to chemistry. but thank you for the advice - it is potentially something i could consider doing if my existing plans for my time off don't pull through ^^
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
honestly i rang up admissions at bristol and kcl on friday and asked and they didn't know - which is why i'm resulting to studentroom lmaoooo

ucl and bath potentially might be more blunt so i could give them a ring but neither are my first choice so the rejection wouldn't hurt

thank you for your advice ^^
Who did you speak to? It’s a simple question that anyone processing applications for the course could answer.

If they didn’t know then ask them to put you through to someone who would know (it’s possible that the relevant staff were on holiday still on Friday).
catlol
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Who did you speak to? It’s a simple question that anyone processing applications for the course could answer.

If they didn’t know then ask them to put you through to someone who would know (it’s possible that the relevant staff were on holiday still on Friday).
just the people on the other end of the admissions phone number. and its true that most student services aren't open. so might be better on monday. i'm an existing student at one of the unis im applying for (haven't processed by drop out forms yet) so i should be able to get a straight forward answer from them.

thanks again for the advice
catlol
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Find out the process for transferring at kcl. It’s unlikely they’d want you to apply through UCAS.
they don't accept transfers if you have not completed first year, they've already told me to go back through ucas.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
they don't accept transfers if you have not completed first year, they've already told me to go back through ucas.
That’s a shame.

Are you sure you don’t want to complete the year? It’s often better financially (none of your maintenance loan is classed as overpaid and asked for immediate repayment) and you get an exit award to show for the year. Obviously if you’re miserable and/or not likely to pass the year and/or have something more productive planned then it’s not a problem to withdraw.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.69%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (28)
16.57%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (27)
15.98%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
14.2%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (45)
26.63%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (32)
18.93%

Watched Threads