The Student Room Group

Quite interesting...

I went to the dentists today (having fillings) and the dentist was talking to the nurse about dentistry courses and unis and all that.

And he said he applied for uni in the 70s and you needed something like 3 C's for dentistry and ABB to be a doctor.

But apparently now, not only are they asking for 3 A's at A level for some courses, but asking for mostly A*s and As at GCSE as well!!

Doesn't that seem a bit ridiculous?
Reply 1
i guess things have just got more competitive now lol
Competition for medical courses has increased so much, and they also want to increase the quality of the services.

Thats why they ask for so much now :smile: They only want the best!
Reply 3
Not really. Even though, I am not English, it seems that a levels have started to get easier.
Regardless of that, wouldn't you want the best person to treat you? I know I wouldn't like just anyone messing about with my teeth!
The grading system was somewhat different back then.
pamelaa
Not really. Even though, I am not English, it seems that a levels have started to get easier.
Regardless of that, wouldn't you want the best person to treat you? I know I wouldn't like just anyone messing about with my teeth!

So what you're saying there is "despite having no grounding for my hypothesis, I believe it anyway".

Riiiight.
like people have said it's changed since then. Its a lot more competitive now, and exams aren't now what they were then, I'm nto saying it's easier now but it's different, one of the maxillo facial surgeons I did work exp with said he got offered 3 Es from Cambridge for medicine. That's not likely to happen ever now.
Reply 7
That's grade inflation for you.
Reply 8
Well they get paid loads so loads of people must want to become a dentist, asking for high grades will mean only the best get at the money
Zoombini
Well they get paid loads so loads of people must want to become a dentist, asking for high grades will mean only the best get at the money

I dont want to do it to get "paid loads and loads" :confused: bit of a generalisation there.
Reply 10
kookoo_koochoo
I dont want to do it to get "paid loads and loads" :confused: bit of a generalisation there.

But the money is an encouragement
Reply 11
kookoo_koochoo
like people have said it's changed since then. Its a lot more competitive now, and exams aren't now what they were then, I'm nto saying it's easier now but it's different, one of the maxillo facial surgeons I did work exp with said he got offered 3 Es from Cambridge for medicine. That's not likely to happen ever now.

I think Cambridge sometimes makes EE offers for really exceptional applicants.
Reply 12
DoMakeSayThink
So what you're saying there is "despite having no grounding for my hypothesis, I believe it anyway".

Riiiight.

Basically, I'm just going by what people have said on this forum. :p: Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it has happened in Scottish Highers too. Certainly French and maths have both become a bit easier in more recent years.
Reply 13
imtired
Yes, but what i found more interesting is how the entry requirements for dentistry went up a lot more and are now just as high as for medicine, although there's not much information there, could have been only one university that asked for 'something like' three Cs...

Better pay in denistry (with increasing opportunities in private practice)? More compeition? Just guessing.
My Dad only had to get like BC or something for History at Bristol.
Zoombini
But the money is an encouragement

And you know this about me how...?
Reply 16
im just saying you'd rather be payed more for the job you do. Doesnt everyone?
rapha
I think Cambridge sometimes makes EE offers for really exceptional applicants.

That's right. I believe Christ's College like to make about a third of their offers EE...so-called "easy offers". Basically unconditional, as you'll have it from your AS grades already, no doubt. I remember when I was applying I wanted to apply there, hoping I'd get an EE offer, until I realised they were probably only made to Stephen-Hawking-level-intellect candidates, and I only had a long shot of getting in anyway...:s-smilie:
jonnythemoose
That's right. I believe Christ's College like to make about a third of their offers EE...so-called "easy offers". Basically unconditional, as you'll have it from your AS grades already, no doubt. I remember when I was applying I wanted to apply there, hoping I'd get an EE offer, until I realised they were probably only made to Stephen-Hawking-level-intellect candidates, and I only had a long shot of getting in anyway...:s-smilie:

Is this for medicine? I thought they stopped it tbh.
kookoo_koochoo
Is this for medicine? I thought they stopped it tbh.

Not specifically, as far as I'm aware, it's for all subjects. Maybe a browsing Cam student knows...?

Latest

Trending

Trending