Contexual Offers

Watch this thread
qwerty123567
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm confused about contextual offers- on university websites it says it looks at each applicant individually and am unsure about how liberally they hand out contextual offers. I've heard that if neither of your parents went to university you're eligible? Also on the websites they list financial specifications and usually state that being in care makes you eligible. I was wondering if illness or being a young career also makes you eligible?
I've tried admissions offices but responses are fairly slow and the deadline is soon approaching!
Any help is much appreciated, thank you
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
It depends on what the uni thinks is eligible. Yes all of the ones you mention will typically let you be eligible while some you need a multiple of that so it just depends. For example, for uni of Manchester, if you live in an social finically deprived place, you will have a WP (Wider Participation) flag, which is taken account in application. However you need 2 or more from their list to be eligible for WP Flag, which you need to be eligible for to get their contextual offer. You can also do progression schemes where you’ll be eligible for a lower offer. The unis you want to go to should have it on the websites.
Last edited by PetitePanda; 2 years ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by qwerty123567)
I'm confused about contextual offers- on university websites it says it looks at each applicant individually and am unsure about how liberally they hand out contextual offers. I've heard that if neither of your parents went to university you're eligible? Also on the websites they list financial specifications and usually state that being in care makes you eligible. I was wondering if illness or being a young career also makes you eligible?
I've tried admissions offices but responses are fairly slow and the deadline is soon approaching
Universities have different conditions to be eligible for contextual offers. All universities as far as I know make contextual offers for care leavers. Bristol and Exeter make contextual offers if your school has A level results in the bottom 40% and I believe Southampton are also now following this. Other universities eg Manchester and Leeds make offers on post codes and make require a second condition such as being the first member of the family to go to university. The only way to get an answer is to ring the universities concerned tomorrow. Do not wait for emails as these may cause delays. As far as I am aware universities dont make contextual offers on caring for others but they might well take it into account for extenuating circumstances.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by qwerty123567)
I've tried admissions offices but responses are fairly slow and the deadline is soon approaching!
Illness is something your referee should normally mention if it is significant enough - same with someone being a young carer. Then the unis can take it into consideration, although they will have different criteria for contextual offers as stated above
Copasetic
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I’ve had contextual offers from Bristol and Southampton based purely on my school being in the bottom 40%. My offer from Exeter was not contextual because they do not offer purely on the school but also need a second criteria (eg postcode having a low uni progression rate). I don’t think being a carer is taken in to account though perhaps could form part of your PS?
swanseajack1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hyde69)
I’ve had contextual offers from Bristol and Southampton based purely on my school being in the bottom 40%. My offer from Exeter was not contextual because they do not offer purely on the school but also need a second criteria (eg postcode having a low uni progression rate). I don’t think being a carer is taken in to account though perhaps could form part of your PS?
Have you checked this with Exeter as the schooling on its own has always been their criteria unless it has changed this year. Sir Steve Smith Exeter Vice Chancellor was the architect of this policy a few years ago and stated this in a debate.
Copasetic
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
No I haven't and it did cross my mind that perhaps I should. However, I really don't want to go there so have decided not to bother. I don't think I'd ever want to go there even on a reduced offer. Looking at their website the criteria isn't very easy to read!

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/about/vision/wp/#a1
swanseajack1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hyde69)
No I haven't and it did cross my mind that perhaps I should. However, I really don't want to go there so have decided not to bother. I don't think I'd ever want to go there even on a reduced offer. Looking at their website the criteria isn't very easy to read!

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/about/vision/wp/#a1
Exeter have been making contextual offers based on schooling since 2012 at least. Originally when it was brought in it was Bristol, Exeter and according to the video I saw Sir Steve Smith claimed Oxford as well. Since then Southampton have started making them. Manchester and Leeds made different contextual offers which weren't based on schooling but based on things like post codes and family history. Places like Durham and UCL have introduced them. In the last couple of years Bristol and Exeter have brought in more criteria such as post codes in order to increase the number of state students going there but my understanding is that it is in addition to schooling. The whole idea of contextual offers is to increase the percentage of disadvantaged students going to these universities which have had upwards of 30% of private school pupils attending their universities. The government has been unhappy with this and contextual offers have been brought as a result. It would be very odd if Exeter was bringing in a policy which would reduced the number of state students.
Copasetic
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I might email them although have no other criteria eg postcode. I am in the first generation to go to uni but not the first child of the family to go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
12%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (6)
6%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (17)
17%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
23%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
21%

Watched Threads