Why are pharmacy staff so rude?

Watch this thread
UVF supporter
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I notice pharmacy staff are also rude for some reason.
How come?
Advertisement
skittish
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
They’re probably underpaid due to the failure of the NHS. And a lot of pharmacists wanted to be doctors but couldn’t so maybe they’re salty. Plus, a lot of people aren’t very polite to them so I guess there’s that.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by UVF supporter)
How come?
Not sure they are rude, but there are a lot of people who don't have to pay for their prescriptions - that would annoy me - only because I think everyone should have to pay. a little - in proportion to their income. Many people ( and I am a nurse who runs clinics) are on at least 10 different drugs a day - I have seem some patients on 30 drugs a day - I kid you not.

Many of these drugs are unnecessary if the recipient would just have a bit of care.

eg. Overweight in mid 50s..... diabetic as a result. Taking 2 or 3 antidiabetic pills. High blood pressure because of weigh - 3 more tablets. On anti depressants because can't exercise - another couple of pill. Smoker - on asthmatic drugs - 3 inhalers. Statins - because of weight. Aspirin . Painkillers because hips and knees dodgy - weight again - another 3 tablets. Sleeping tablets because can't sleep. Proton pump inhibitors because of all the tablets and dodgy stomach - .....

SO you see how it adds up. Pharmacy assistants are doling out these pills to often very ungrateful patients.
Advertisement
Claremont4ever
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Pharmacy staff are trying their hardest whilst being paid the barest minimum to do a thankless job. The pressure to meet various targets plus the aggression pharmacy staff face from a small number of patients often tips them over the edge.
UVF supporter
Rep:
(Original post by Claremont4ever)
Pharmacy staff are trying their hardest whilst being paid the barest minimum to do a thankless job. The pressure to meet various targets plus the aggression pharmacy staff face from a small number of patients often tips them over the edge.
Well I disagree with 'thankless job'. To be a pharmacist assistant I doubt you need any special skills or qualifications to do what any other person could easily do for above minimum wage. Most jobs you have to meet targets.

Also with aggressive customers, aggressive customers have Police called on them, barred and refused service. Simple. Pharmacy assistant don't have to 'deal' with it.
Advertisement
UVF supporter
Rep:
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Not sure they are rude, but there are a lot of people who don't have to pay for their prescriptions - that would annoy me - only because I think everyone should have to pay. a little - in proportion to their income. Many people ( and I am a nurse who runs clinics) are on at least 10 different drugs a day - I have seem some patients on 30 drugs a day - I kid you not.

Many of these drugs are unnecessary if the recipient would just have a bit of care.

eg. Overweight in mid 50s..... diabetic as a result. Taking 2 or 3 antidiabetic pills. High blood pressure because of weigh - 3 more tablets. On anti depressants because can't exercise - another couple of pill. Smoker - on asthmatic drugs - 3 inhalers. Statins - because of weight. Aspirin . Painkillers because hips and knees dodgy - weight again - another 3 tablets. Sleeping tablets because can't sleep. Proton pump inhibitors because of all the tablets and dodgy stomach - .....

SO you see how it adds up. Pharmacy assistants are doling out these pills to often very ungrateful patients.
Ungrateful??.
They are being paid to dole out to patients, and it's not exactly rocket science.
As for people not taking care or not paying, that's none of there business.
It's a job and they should be professional and keep there passive aggressive rudeness to themselves.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Ungrateful??.
They are being paid to dole out to patients, and it's not exactly rocket science.
As for people not taking care or not paying, that's none of there business.
It's a job and they should be professional and keep there passive aggressive rudeness to themselves.
The NHS cannot carry on supporting very sick people. We are at the edge of a huge diabetic time bomb. Diabetes is not just raised blood sugar you know - it is blindness, kidney failure, amputations. I have never found pharmacy staff to be rude, but if I was one and I was constantly giving out pills to people who cannot be bothered to look after their health then I would be annoyed
Advertisement
tcameron
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
How come?
Maybe go to a different pharmacy. My personal experience has been that pharmacy staff have been very helpful.
Sammylou40
Rep:
Report 2 years ago

I am 50. I am not overweight. I have arthritis in my neck,knees, hips, hands and feet. I am a non smoker and take 5 medications for asthma.
I am advised to take,but refused statins, for family history.
I have anti depressants and occasionally take a sleeping tablet due to pain.
what do you blame for that?
i too nursed for decades. Rising to the top of band 7. I dropped back to band six to try and take the pressure off.
you’re very bitter. It’s not healthy. And not fair to your patients
Advertisement
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
How come?
Perhaps they prefer the UDA?
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
I am 50. I am not overweight. I have arthritis in my neck,knees, hips, hands and feet. I am a non smoker and take 5 medications for asthma.
I am advised to take,but refused statins, for family history.
I have anti depressants and occasionally take a sleeping tablet due to pain.
what do you blame for that?
i too nursed for decades. Rising to the top of band 7. I dropped back to band six to try and take the pressure off.
you’re very bitter. It’s not healthy. And not fair to your patients
You are 50 and with all these diseases - you need to look at your lifestyle.

I am 60 - I have a family history of suicide, heart disease and HBP. I am a non smoker but I drink more than is good for me. I was also a band 7 and dripped back to a band 6 because I was bullied.

I run - I do half marathons. I ski. I cycle.

I am not bitter - I have outlived my father who died at 59. You need to do the same
Advertisement
Tom 2020
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
How come?
Some are some aren’t. A bit like TSR users.
Sammylou40
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You are 50 and with all these diseases - you need to look at your lifestyle.

I am 60 - I have a family history of suicide, heart disease and HBP. I am a non smoker but I drink more than is good for me. I was also a band 7 and dripped back to a band 6 because I was bullied.

I run - I do half marathons. I ski. I cycle.

I am not bitter - I have outlived my father who died at 59. You need to do the same
There is nothing wrong at all with my lifestyle. You need to stop being aggressive.
I can not control arthritis!
I neither smoke nor drink
I’m am as active as possible despite being restricted.
my parents died young. And grandparents. Due to congenital heart defects
that said I don’t need to justify my health to a stranger
you did not in any way deserve to be bullied but you are unfair on your patients
Advertisement
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
There is nothing wrong at all with my lifestyle. You need to stop being aggressive.
I can not control arthritis!
I neither smoke nor drink
I’m am as active as possible despite being restricted.
my parents died young. And grandparents. Due to congenital heart defects
that said I don’t need to justify my health to a stranger
you did not in any way deserve to be bullied but you are unfair on your patients
Are you overweight. What is you BMI. How much exercise do you get. I am not bullying --- I am asking.
Sammylou40
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Are you overweight. What is you BMI. How much exercise do you get. I am not bullying --- I am asking. You are 50 years old and incapacitated - one needs to ask why - you are a youngster
I said I am not overweight. I am 5’7” and I weigh 9 st 12. I have had arthritis since I was 20 and lifelong asthma
Kindred
Rep:
Report 2 years ago

For the most part medical conditions don't get you free prescriptions. Those people on 30+ meds a day likely aren't paying for their prescription at the pharmacy because they have a prepayment card rather than becuae they luckily have a condition from a very short list of exemptions.
Other reasons for free prescriptions include age (young and old), income, I believe pregnancy and a couple of others.

And it's also not always somebody's fault if they are ill and in need of regular prescriptions. Even in cases where lifestyle choices are a factor there's often other factors too (like weight putting extra pressure on already arthritic knees for example). Chronic health conditions often emphasise the importance of a healthy lifestyle and a lot of things that the general population can get away with become issues for them. There are also some things that can't be avoided. Sometimes when you have long term health issues you can't avoid doing certain things that can make them worse.

But yeah I can understand that it could still be a high pressure environment to work it. People can get pretty intense when small thigns go wrong with prescriptions, come in with what seem like really stupid issues (likely a big deal to them cos they don't understand it, but still frustrating to deal with) and let's face it even an awesome job that you enjoy can become awful if you have a bad boss, issues with supply etc that affect the job.
Still I don't think most pharmacists are rude (in my experience at least) maybe a bit blunt/ dull rather than bouncy and cheery, but not rude.
Sammylou40
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kindred)
For the most part medical conditions don't get you free prescriptions. Those people on 30+ meds a day likely aren't paying for their prescription at the pharmacy because they have a prepayment card rather than becuae they luckily have a condition from a very short list of exemptions.
Other reasons for free prescriptions include age (young and old), income, I believe pregnancy and a couple of others.

And it's also not always somebody's fault if they are ill and in need of regular prescriptions. Even in cases where lifestyle choices are a factor there's often other factors too (like weight putting extra pressure on already arthritic knees for example). Chronic health conditions often emphasise the importance of a healthy lifestyle and a lot of things that the general population can get away with become issues for them. There are also some things that can't be avoided. Sometimes when you have long term health issues you can't avoid doing certain things that can make them worse.

But yeah I can understand that it could still be a high pressure environment to work it. People can get pretty intense when small thigns go wrong with prescriptions, come in with what seem like really stupid issues (likely a big deal to them cos they don't understand it, but still frustrating to deal with) and let's face it even an awesome job that you enjoy can become awful if you have a bad boss, issues with supply etc that affect the job.
Still I don't think most pharmacists are rude (in my experience at least) maybe a bit blunt/ dull rather than bouncy and cheery, but not rude.
Thank you
Advertisement
CoolCavy
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kindred)

Agreed. To the untrained eye i don't appear to 'pay' as in money doesn't exchange hands when i pick up my prescription but that is because i have a prepayment certificate which is £10 a month rather than the £40 a month it would be if i didn't have one. Medicines are a personal affair between the person the pharmacist and the GP, if you aren't one of the above then to be blunt you need to butt out.
Tom 2020
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
How come?
Stop being a prick to them.
Sammylou40
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Agreed. To the untrained eye i don't appear to 'pay' as in money doesn't exchange hands when i pick up my prescription but that is because i have a prepayment certificate which is £10 a month rather than the £40 a month it would be if i didn't have one. Medicines are a personal affair between the person the pharmacist and the GP, if you aren't one of the above then to be blunt you need to butt out.
👏👏👏👏👏
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
32.5%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (13)
32.5%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
5%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
5%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (3)
7.5%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
15%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.5%

Watched Threads