JamieOl2094
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys, new to here but needed some advice from anyone who can help. I've looked online at the 2 courses.

I'm looking at doing a degree (late by a good few years, but needs to be done).

I can only do distance learning due to work commitments and family.
There is

BSc (Hons) Accounting & Finance (ACCA) with Arden Uni
BA (Honours) Business Management (Accounting)

Now i've heard some bad stuff regarding Arden but then the course seems better. But could you still get into the below careers with the OU course? Seems more open to different careers.
I'm analytical, I love working with numbers and data (not the best at maths but am okay), very good on the computer. It's the part I enjoy about my job currently.
Few careers looking at are 'Finance Analyst', 'Forensic Accountant', 'Accountant', 'Acturial Analyst', Financial Risk Analyst', 'Compliance Officer'.

What are the pros and cons of those courses? Would be interesting to hear the opinions of those using these unis and/or courses?
Sunray_minor
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JamieOl2094)
Hi guys, new to here but needed some advice from anyone who can help. I've looked online at the 2 courses.

I'm looking at doing a degree (late by a good few years, but needs to be done).

I can only do distance learning due to work commitments and family.
There is

BSc (Hons) Accounting & Finance (ACCA) with Arden Uni
BA (Honours) Business Management (Accounting)

Now i've heard some bad stuff regarding Arden but then the course seems better. But could you still get into the below careers with the OU course? Seems more open to different careers.
I'm analytical, I love working with numbers and data (not the best at maths but am okay), very good on the computer. It's the part I enjoy about my job currently.
Few careers looking at are 'Finance Analyst', 'Forensic Accountant', 'Accountant', 'Acturial Analyst', Financial Risk Analyst', 'Compliance Officer'.

What are the pros and cons of those courses? Would be interesting to hear the opinions of those using these unis and/or courses?
If you’re looking to get into standard accounting, and can afford it, or are able to obtain funding from your employer etc (there are also apprenticeships available) I would recommend to just complete either CIMA or ACCA’s straight qualification. If obtaining a degree is also desirable, then with ACCA you get auto-enrolled on a degree from Oxford-Brooks in applied accounting (you have to complete a short project first with Oxford Brooks after the F1 - F9 papers (ACCA have changed the naming for ‘F’ papers but everyone still uses the ‘F’ names)).

Reason I recommend this is it’s just a quicker route to a professional accountancy qualification, you can complete either CIMA or ACCA in circa 3 years or even faster, and a professional qualification in my experienced is more highly valued than a degree in accounting and you can call yourself ‘part qualified’ (PQ) after certain stages. if you look on jobs websites you’ll see most accounting jobs looking for qualified or part qualified, if part qualified many employers offer study support.

If you do complete a degree, you’ll then need to gain exemptions from the professional bodies papers and then continue to the end of the respective qualification. CIMA have just ended charging for exemptions from their qualification, ACCA still charge. Keep in mind even if you finish either CIMA or ACCA you’ll not be full affiliate status until you have 3 years signed off experience, I don’t know if you work in a finance/accountancy role of any kind but experience is is a ‘biggy’ for any role so getting your foot in the door of any place/finance role is a big must also.

If however you want to go down the degree route the Arden will get you exemptions from ACCA’s old named F1 to F9, whereas the OU will get you 4 which are F1 - F3 and F9 but I can’t comment on the actual course. For CIMA I believe nothing for Arden, for the OU degree you’ll get exemptions from the full certificate level and 3 from the professional papers - so 7 in total, I’ve had experience studying one accounting module with the OU and it was very good. There is also a distance learning degree from Robert Gordon Uni which is CIMA accredited and you will qualify with CIMA’s advanced diploma in Management accounting (CIMA Adv Dip MA) which is the certificate level, operational level and management level of the CIMA qualification leaving just the strategic level to do, so I’d have a look at this also.

As for the jobs you’ve listed, Actuarial Analyst is far more mathematical and statistical than either of these degrees, you’d be better looking at the Certified actuarial analyst (CAA) qualification from the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) but again experience is needed. Forensic accountant, no idea on this. Finance analyst, I know there are many CIMA working as FP&A and M&A (not sure about ACCA).

If you’re heavily analytical, like I am, I would look at business analytics more than accountancy. That’s the route I have gone down now. Look at the OU’s degree in Data science as well.
Last edited by Sunray_minor; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (40)
28.78%
No (99)
71.22%

Watched Threads