edexcel gcse history question got me so confused :/

Watch
JJrevises
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
How useful are Sources B+C for an enquiry into the challenges facing the Weimar Republic in the years 1919-23? Explain your answer, using Sources B+C and your own knowledge of the historical context.

My ****ty answer: scored 2/8
Sources B and C are useful for an enquiry into the challenges facing the Weimar Republic in the years 1919-23 because Source C refers to struggles of hyperinflation and that money was worthless. Hyperinflation impacted Germany as people would spend their money otherwise if they left it too late the money would become totally worthless. Source B shows the Freikorps dealing with the Kapp Putsch. The Weimar Republic faced challenges from the left and right and the Kapp Putsch was one of them. There was also the Spartacist Uprising and the one and only Beer Hall Putsch! (wrote this because I was bored and it looks v dumb) Sources B and C are useful because they show the events.

The rest of it, I just rambled on about useless crap. I get why my score was so bad. What should I include to get better marks?

SOURCE B: a photograph published in March 1920. Shows Freikorps soldiers taking part in the Kapp Putsch. Soldiers are occupying an area in Berlin near to the Reichstag building.

SOURCE C : From an interview with a German women in 1974. She was a factory worker during the early years of the Weimar Republic . She is recalling the hyperinflation of 1923.

'You got paid at the end of every day. You had to spend it straight away because the next day your wages would only be worth half as much as the day before. Money was literally not worth the paper it was printed on.
Many people who had their savings in bank accounts lost all the money they had managed to scrape together. We asked ourselves 'How can this happen? How is it that the government can't control this inflation which wipes out the life savings of most people?' We never got an answer that meant anything. After the hyperinflation, people didn't trust the government anymore.

Help greatly appreciated, thanks!
Mona123456
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by JJrevises)
How useful are Sources B+C for an enquiry into the challenges facing the Weimar Republic in the years 1919-23? Explain your answer, using Sources B+C and your own knowledge of the historical context.

Sources B and C are useful for an enquiry into the challenges facing the Weimar Republic in the years 1919-23 because Source C refers to struggles of hyperinflation and that money was worthless. Hyperinflation impacted Germany as people would spend their money otherwise if they left it too late the money would become totally worthless. Source B shows the Freikorps dealing with the Kapp Putsch. The Weimar Republic faced challenges from the left and right and the Kapp Putsch was one of them. There was also the Spartacist Uprising and the one and only Beer Hall Putsch! (wrote this because I was bored and it looks v dumb) Sources B and C are useful because they show the events.

The rest of it, I just rambled on about useless crap. I get why my score was so bad. What should I include to get better marks?

SOURCE B: a photograph published in March 1920. Shows Freikorps soldiers taking part in the Kapp Putsch. Soldiers are occupying an area in Berlin near to the Reichstag building.

SOURCE C : From an interview with a German women in 1974. She was a factory worker during the early years of the Weimar Republic . She is recalling the hyperinflation of 1923.

'You got paid at the end of every day. You had to spend it straight away because the next day your wages would only be worth half as much as the day before. Money was literally not worth the paper it was printed on.
Many people who had their savings in bank accounts lost all the money they had managed to scrape together. We asked ourselves 'How can this happen? How is it that the government can't control this inflation which wipes out the life savings of most people?' We never got an answer that meant anything. After the hyperinflation, people didn't trust the government anymore.

Is this for a homework task or personal revision?
emmag0076
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by JJrevises)

Hi!
I answered this question and got an 8/8.

Let's break it down:
- You want to write a separate paragraph for both sources.
- You should follow four steps, equal to four marks.
- DO NOT COMPARE SOURCES!
- If it is a written source, use a quote to back your argument, be specific as possible.
- Reuse the words in the question.
- Link to the question in the conclusion.

Here is an example of what you can write for each step for Source B:

1. Why is it useful? (explain why the source helps you)
It is useful because it shows a rebellion to the Weimar Republic, which indicates that the WR was unpopular. Unpopularity and a rebellion are both challenges to any government.
2. Why is it limited? (add in your own knowledge)
It is limited, however, because it doesn't show us other challenges: like the Invasion of the Ruhr and hyperinflation in 1923, and the Munich Putsch, and The Spartacist Revolt in 1919.
3. NOP: (state what it is, and then say WHY it is more useful/limited because of that)
It is a photograph from the time, therefore it is more useful as it is a first-hand account, no question of the Putsch's legitimacy.
4. Conclusion:
To conclude, I think Source B is useful/limited + your reason, and link to question.

Here is an example paragraph I'll write for Source C.

Source C is useful because it demonstrates Hyperinflation in 1923, which was a big challenge for the Weimar Republic because not only did it send Germany into disarray, but it made the Weimar Republic extremely unpopular: 'people didn't trust the government anymore'. It is limited, on the other hand, because it only depicts one challenge faced by the Weimar Republic during the years 1919-1923, and not any other; like the Kapp Putsch 1920, the Munich Putsch 1923 and the Invasion of the Ruhr 1923, as some examples. Source C is from an interview with a German lady who actually experienced hyperinflation, however, the interview was in 1974. This may make Source C limited as the interview took place 51 years after the hyperinflation occurred, and due to such a long time after the event, her memory may not be the most reliable. Therefore, this makes Source C more limited. In conclusion, I think Source C is limited because it tells us about one challenge faced by the Weimar Republic in the years 1919-1923, and not any other, like the Spartacist Revolt in 1919.
(4/4)

If you use the info I wrote about Source B, plus this paragraph, then it would be 8/8.
Feel free to send me an answer, I'll happily mark it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (165)
25%
Better than expected (133)
20.15%
Worse than expected (362)
54.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed