Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i no ive asked this before but...
    anyone know wher i can get a good guide to using cubase
    im using cubase with an m audio interface nd the sound quality is **** its all fuzzy wud sound better with the microphone on my laptop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna_The_Giant_Banana)
    i no ive asked this before but...
    anyone know wher i can get a good guide to using cubase
    im using cubase with an m audio interface nd the sound quality is **** its all fuzzy wud sound better with the microphone on my laptop

I got Pinnacle Cubasis VST 5 with my computer. Not recorded yet, do you know anything about my version? Is it any good?

ReputationRep:
    nope lol soz

ReputationRep:
    Get into a studio. My record label won't touch bands who try and do their recording themselves. Unless you spend a ridiculous amount on recording gear, it'll still sound ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    Get into a studio. My record label won't touch bands who try and do their recording themselves. Unless you spend a ridiculous amount on recording gear, it'll still sound ****.
    Depends what you are recording, you can get by on a pretty slim budget for some genres. But generally true, certainly when it comes to vocals and most instruments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunburnedCactus)
    Depends what you are recording, you can get by on a pretty slim budget for some genres. But generally true, certainly when it comes to vocals and most instruments.
    Really, no matter how good the computer mike.

Is a £10 mike OK given your comments.

ReputationRep:
    im not using a mic im just saying it would have sounded just as good if i had

ReputationRep:
    what are you actually trying to record? and what m-audio interface have you got?

(Original post by SoundDevastation)
    not true at all. you can make very good sounding songs if you know your way around VSTs and cubase.

but it does depend on what you want to record. so it'd be helpful to know anna

ReputationRep:
    You need to be able to mix and master properly and that's where software frequently falls down. People make something that sounds great at the time on their headphones but it isn't maximised at all and the bass is all muddy. But then you could always take a mix to a proper studio if you really wanted to polish it up.

And a lot of studios use VSTs and Logic these days anyway so there you go :p: Just need a nice desk and some good monitors and proper condensers and and... a really big wallet

(Original post by MeAndBubbles)
    Really, no matter how good the computer mike.

Is a £10 mike OK given your comments.
    Not really sure what you're asking here.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I used cubase for a while, but them got a Mac, Logic pro 8, reason 3.0 and saw the error of my ways.

ReputationRep:
    My mate bought a recorder for £80 from America which has 4 in-built mics, and used properly, can record songs to a very high quality.

But before that I used a mic plugged into my computer and used Audacity to record, came out decentish.

ReputationRep:
    You need to be able to mix and master properly and that's where software frequently falls down. People make something that sounds great at the time on their headphones but it isn't maximised at all and the bass is all muddy. But then you could always take a mix to a proper studio if you really wanted to polish it up.

And a lot of studios use VSTs and Logic these days anyway so there you go :p: Just need a nice desk and some good monitors and proper condensers and and... a really big wallet

Not really sure what you're asking here.
    I want to record classical/acoustic guitar, and maybe singing. I've Pinnacle Cubasis VST 5.

What mike would you recommend? Is a £10 one ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sitbh)
    what are you actually trying to record? and what m-audio interface have you got?

not true at all. you can make very good sounding songs if you know your way around VSTs and cubase.

but it does depend on what you want to record. so it'd be helpful to know anna

Yep,

at this point, the mix and quality isn't really the most important aspect.

It's more important to just get your ideas recorded and then pass it around to potential fans to listen to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeAndBubbles)
    I want to record classical/acoustic guitar, and maybe singing. I've Pinnacle Cubasis VST 5.

What mike would you recommend? Is a £10 one ok?

Dynamic mics are inappropriate for recording. You should buy a proper recording mic and a pop filter.

ReputationRep:
    trying to record just some basic ideas i have got on guitar lol
    its fine by itself but as soon as i add more than one guitar part the noise gets greater and greater
    i have a pretty basic interface i think its called m audio fast track and i have quite an old cubase ,cubase se
    also whenever i try to add any effects like its gets stupidly noisy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna_The_Giant_Banana)
    trying to record just some basic ideas i have got on guitar lol
    its fine by itself but as soon as i add more than one guitar part the noise gets greater and greater
    i have a pretty basic interface i think its called m audio fast track and i have quite an old cubase ,cubase se
    also whenever i try to add any effects like its gets stupidly noisy
    You tried Audacity?

It's free and is actually easy to use, and quite good

Never really had problems with it.

And you're probably catching inteference from poor mic/lots of electrical equipment where you're recording.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Essence™)
    Dynamic mics are inappropriate for recording. You should buy a proper recording mic and a pop filter.
    A powered condenser then, since he is unlikely to have phantom power for it. A pop filter isn't necessary for a guitar as it doesn't create plosives.

ReputationRep:
    oops, I thought the OP was a vocalist, otherwise a pop filter is required

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Essence™)
    So I can't use my expensive mike that sounds good for live performance. It slots straight into my amplifier (brown acoustic Marshall). Do I need to buy another mike for my computer and howmuch are recording mikes?

ReputationRep:
    A powered condenser then, since he is unlikely to have phantom power for it. A pop filter isn't necessary for a guitar as it doesn't create plosives.
    So a pop filter if you're singing....

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.