Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    LOL i meant what do you think of my Contraception essay lol
    oh lol sorry, I liked your contraception essay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazwalker)
    jjkkll, I particularly liked the idea that 'life' is inclusive of clinical life and of a holistic interpretation of life. In addition, I like how you've brought out a conflict of ethics, in how someone might not have a decent quality of life - however, you may come close to begging the question of, is a life as an adopted child, worthless? Obviously, no, but they do have a higher chance of being neglected (I'm just trying to find some statistics, i think 7x more likely to be abused).
    I think it might be worth looking at some more paragraphing aswell - your points could be summarised as:
    -definition
    -contraception is important for the sake of the unborn child. (However, there is then the issue of is any life better than none at all?)
    -contraception is important to the parent's rights
    -there is a lot of development in society's view of intercourse - it has more purpose than procreation
    -conclusion: the church has a view that is unlikely to change.

making these into seperate paragraphs would probably improve the clairty of essay, but the points themselves are well-argued and concise.

I hope that helps?
    yes that does help, however bearing in mind the 30 minute time constrain i highly doubt my essays will become any better. and layout is also an issue for me as i fill the page. (big ish handwriting)

But score wise where yould you place it on the scale 3 to 12 (15 is NEVER gonna happen)

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid I have no idea as to scoring, I'm waiting a little while to see how everyone else does it. I'll let you know as soon as I get to grips with a non-a-level system where everyone doesn't score 14.5-15. :P

ReputationRep:
    I would say 12, after reading how they mark the essays, but then i'm no examiner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x)
    I would say 12, after reading how they mark the essays, but then i'm no examiner

12 on which essays!

about five have been posted

ReputationRep:
    the last 1. 5? i are they all on this thread, do you mind telling me where abouts on this thread because i cant find them anywhere! also are you by any chance catholic? because i am and i thought that writing anything religionwise in an essay would bring up alot of ethical questions in an interview, what do you think? x

ReputationRep:
    the last 1. 5? i are they all on this thread, do you mind telling me where abouts on this thread because i cant find them anywhere! also are you by any chance catholic? because i am and i thought that writing anything religionwise in an essay would bring up alot of ethical questions in an interview, what do you think? x

They are

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=171 - by CrazyLemon on the Week 4 question

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=174 - jazwalker on both Week 4 and 5

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=159 - jjkkll on Week 5 question

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=160 - Munim on the week 5 question

Naa im not catholic, technically i'm a Christian Orthodox, but im not religious at all.

and All the BMAT essays are controversial to some people, and can bring up lots of ethical question.

To be honest the questions i am making up are not that difficult as they have many points to argue for an against.

Ill try an increase the difficulty later this week or next week

ReputationRep:
    i've got some from a book, i can put them up here if you want, not sure how helpful they'll be though!

ReputationRep:
    i've got some from a book, i can put them up here if you want, not sure how helpful they'll be though!

the BMAT book?

ReputationRep:
    the heinemann one, its light blue

ReputationRep:
    the heinemann one, its light blue
    actually i knew i should have added those questions to the 1st post.

Yea if you could please post them and ill add them to the 1st post.

Ill type up the ones from the BMAT and UKCAT book.

ReputationRep:
    BMAT Section 3 Questions from "Passing the UKCAT and BMAT 2008 Edition" Posted on the 1st Page http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post13412389

They are good questions but the structure is much more simplified than the BMAT ones will actually be.

However they are good for practise.

ReputationRep:
    I can't find the person to quote them, but I remember that someone was asking about whethe rthey could dispute the Pope's teachings, as a Catholic.

Actually, I'd say that, from the standpoint of the Bible, there's nothing against contraception. According to 14th century Christianity, life starts with ensoulment, which is in the 4th week of pregnancy. Again, the Bible doesn't even have anything directly against abortion - in fact, it particularly defines causing a woman to lose their child as seperate from homicide.

The Pope is rarely taken as the final word in Catholic ethics, but rather the upshot of ethical debate within the church - many Catholic ethicians argue with the Church and it is this controversy that gives us an eventual Catholic viewpoint. Plus, religious views change - in the time of Caesar Augustus, contraception was completely allowed.
    Therefore, I would say that you can argue this argument from a Catholic standpoint completely.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then argue why other people might feel that it's right and for your final paragraph, you can point out that although some people feel that contraception isn't right for them, acceptance should allow other people to make the decision for themselves.

So no, I don't see how being Catholic should prevent you from discussing the Pope's quotes - if anything, you might even be at an advantage!

ReputationRep:
    Eugh am I the only one struggling with revision and practice for this? I'm so overloaded with school work right now, it's beyond manageable. I'm falling behind with homework already, struggling to bring myself to revise for end of topic assessments and tests as well as juggling coursework too. There's barely three weeks left till the BMAT and I just don't know how to start working for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Eugh am I the only one struggling with revision and practice for this? I'm so overloaded with school work right now, it's beyond manageable. I'm falling behind with homework already, struggling to bring myself to revise for end of topic assessments and tests as well as juggling coursework too. There's barely three weeks left till the BMAT and I just don't know how to start working for it.
    you have just described me exactly i have biology coursework, english essays, chemistry to catch up because my teacher told me that i'm not working at the expected standard, a pantomime to write and bmat on top of it all.
    not to mention trying to maintain some sort of life as well! don't worry, we're all going through it.

ReputationRep:
    Hold on.Preparing for the BMAT isn't a waste of time? Revising does improve your score?The test isn't probing at innate skill (aptitude)???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Halpert)
    Hold on.Preparing for the BMAT isn't a waste of time? Revising does improve your score?The test isn't probing at innate skill (aptitude)???
    Preparing is not a waste of time you will remember what to do.

and not preparing for an essay is a mistake, essays do not test aptitude its test ability.

An aptitude is an innate, acquired or learned or developed component of a competency.

You cannpt gain aptitude without gaining knowledge, any one who thinks you are Born with apptitude is a fool.
    Your early education is a strong indicator to the path you will follow, someone unable will not magically become more able.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    exactly...but i'm placing the bmat before my school work till nov 5th. you need to prioritise my friend. now that the reference has been sent off, i don't really care about my school work as much :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    exactly...but i'm placing the bmat before my school work till nov 5th. you need to prioritise my friend. now that the reference has been sent off, i don't really care about my school work as much :rolleyes:

What he said!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    agree entirely!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.