Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    a massive mix of numbers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x)
    lol yeah but thats cool.
    thankyou for the doctor comment btw! hopefully we'll both get where we want! you finding the BMAT alrite? i cannot write an essay to save my life lol
    interpersonal skills thats the one...u have such a way with words!
    I'm guessing you know Chuk personally?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanjetti)
    I think its best to not worry about it being a cylinder and think about scale factors & volume/SA.

The weight of water (which corresponds to volume) is 15.6kg-0.8kg=14.8kg

When you increase length by SF 2, you increase volume by 2^3=8. So 14.8 X 8 = 118.4kg

The metal sheet (which corresponds to SA) increases by SF 2^2=4. So 4 X 0.8 = 3.2

Overall, 118.4 + 3.2 =121.6 kg
    See above.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you know Chuk personally?
    lol yeah, hes the best! ridiculously clever but ssooo down to earth about it.
    What unis do you need the BMAT for?

ReputationRep:
    Im going to CRAM CRAM CRAM physics tomorrow. Oh god I'm so not prepared. I haven't written one practice essay yet.
    :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b9muslove)
    http://www.admissionstests.cambridge...imen_Paper.pdf

Question 6, section 1, anybody?
    a) draw a cylinder with base r and length h.
    b) draw a second cylinder with base 2r and length 2h.
    there's only 1 base so dont forget that.

surface area a) = r^2pi + 2rhpi = 800g = 0.8kg
    surface area b) = 4r^2pi + 8rhpi = 4(r^2pi + 2rhpi) = 0.8 * 4 = 3.2kg

volume a) = r^2hpi = 15.6kg - 0.8kg = 14.8kg
    volume b) = 4r^2pi*2h = 8r^2hpi = 8*14.8 = 118.4kg.

add surface area b) + volume b) = 3.2kg + 118.4kg = 121.6kg

when you get something like this DRAW A DIAGRAM!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyeree)
    a) draw a cylinder with base r and length h.
    b) draw a second cylinder with base 2r and length 2h.
    there's only 1 base so dont forget that.

surface area a) = r^2pi + 2rhpi = 800g = 0.8kg
    surface area b) = 4r^2pi + 8rhpi = 4(r^2pi + 2rhpi) = 0.8 * 4 = 3.2kg

volume a) = r^2hpi = 15.6kg - 0.8kg = 14.8kg
    volume b) = 4r^2pi*2h = 8r^2hpi = 8*14.8 = 118.4kg.

add surface area b) + volume b) = 3.2kg + 118.4kg = 121.6kg

when you get something like this DRAW A DIAGRAM!
    Thank you, you will be added to my +ve rep list!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x)
    lol yeah, hes the best! ridiculously clever but ssooo down to earth about it.
    What unis do you need the BMAT for?
    Sounds like a great guy! :p:

I need it for Oxford and Imperial, and I think I will actually need a lower mark for Oxford than Imperial (for interview anyway!) :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a great guy! :p:

I need it for Oxford and Imperial, and I think I will actually need a lower mark for Oxford than Imperial (for interview anyway!) :eek:
    Do you really think so?why? Getting nervous for no reason again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donc, je suis.)
    Do you really think so?why? Getting nervous for no reason again
    Well it depends on the % of A*s you have at GCSE. But I'm guessing you didn't do GCSE, so Oxford will put a lot more emphasis on your BMAT score. For me, I have to score around 17 or so I think (judging from an applicant last year, who got an interview with 16.5 last year).

ReputationRep:
    But I'm guessing you didn't do GCSE, so Oxford will put a lot more emphasis on your BMAT score.
    I know. If anything that makes things worse!Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donc, je suis.)
    I know. If anything that makes things worse!Oh well.
    Yeah true, they will only go mainly by BMAT but seriously don't worry! I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine, and a score of 20+ will put you in very good stead! Have faith in your abilities (and that goes to the rest of you TSRers, you're naturally gonna ace the BMAT, by definition :p:)

ReputationRep:
    if you had 12A* (i wish lol) what would be the minimum bmat score you'd need?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah true, they will only go mainly by BMAT but seriously don't worry! I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine, and a score of 20+ will put you in very good stead! Have faith in your abilities (and that goes to the rest of you TSRers, you're naturally gonna ace the BMAT, by definition :p:)
    OR they might be kind and squeeze me into the 'other 10 %'

ReputationRep:
    do you have the statistics (or already know!), so i can work out exactly what score i would need with 46% A*s. obv this would be an estimate, but it would be comforting if it is sub 24!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blip)
    well if you had 100% A* then you just need to be in the top 60% of applicants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blip)
    Well roughly in the top 55-60%, so around 16 on the BMAT. Actually if you get 8A*s out of 8 or 12A*s out of 12 it won't make a difference in what percentile you have to get, which might be a bit unfair I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by witness the sickness)
    do you have the statistics (or already know!), so i can work out exactly what score i would need with 46% A*s. obv this would be an estimate, but it would be comforting if it is sub 24!
    well 40% A* you need to be in the top 17% , and 50% A* you need to be in the top 23%, so somewhere in between.

ReputationRep:
    can someone tell me if question 11 in the ukcat bmat book is right for section 2. Just seems odd.
    Power = 2.5 kw
    Time = 2 mins
    Energy = ?

ReputationRep:
    I need it for Oxford and Imperial, and I think I will actually need a lower mark for Oxford than Imperial (for interview anyway!) :eek:[/QUOTE]

yeah i understand what your saying! I don't know how Cambridge use my BMAT so i can't really worry too much but with Imperial its lik 19 or we won't even look at you which is kind of depressing!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.