Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben_stretch)
    I don't think you quite get what is meant by the normal; perpendicular to the tangent of the circle where the ray of white light meets the circle. So the light has to bend either towards it or away. Draw a line from the centre of the circle to the point at which the ray of light hits the edge, this is your normal.
    Thanks, I went over all that stuff today because I didn't feel too confident about it

ReputationRep:
    ________________________________ ________________________________ _
    No good deed goes unpunished
    ________________________________ ________________________________ _
    (Clare Boothe Luce)
    Write a unified essay in which you address the following:
    What does the author mean by this statement? Develop an argument for an alternative position, i.e. "A good deed is its own reward". What criteria would you employ when deciding whether to perform a 'good deed'?

The author is implying that when a particular individual commits a deed, deemed to be “good”, that they are at some point “punished”. I believe that although this punishment may be taken literally” it is more metaphoric of negative aspects / outcomes associated with the deed.

Good deeds, particularly in the field of science often equate to scientific progress, and these can lead to increasingly negative outcomes. The work of some of the greatest minds in history, such as Einstein, Bohr, Schrodinger, lead to the invention of the Atomic Bomb, and to the disastrous effects of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. On a deeper, more literal level, doing a “good deed” such as donating money to charity, often come with alteria motives. So called “Celebrities” often perform good deeds for publicity. It could even be argues, that the common individual, performs good deeds, as they will be “rewarded” in the afterlife. Either by being blinded by faith or God, a lot of individuals, usually on a sub-conscious level, don’t commit good deeds because they want to, but because they believe they will get something out of it. As these are all committed with another motive at heart, it is associated with negative aspects, meaning the statement is correct.

However, to group humanity as one, and to say that every good deed is preformed selfishly, simply because its human nature, is wrong. Although there are many that conform to this rule, there are a lot of individuals, some of whom dedicate their whole life completely for others. Physicians for example, spend their whole life learning, strictly to alleviate pain, with little thoughts of the benefits eg money. Also, the statement fails to take into account “simple” good deeds, which happen so frequently, their deemed as “good manners”. Things like holding the door open, or letting someone get into the bus before you. These are deeds with no associated negative aspects, therefore the statement is wrong.

The criteria for a true good deed, is that there has to be no negative aspects involved.

--------------------------------------------------

Could someone tell me if this essays ok, or have i missed teh point completely.

When writing essays, I have a tendancy to change the question, into something easier/that i have an answer for, its worked so far ( A in eng lit AS)

Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    dos anyone know how to do questions 4,8,13 or 19 on section 2 of the 07 past paper?

ReputationRep:
    Why do we have to do this!!!??!! I feel sick atm. In my state of nervous panic i was wonderin wat every1 thought of the past papers online compared to samples in the book. Did any1 find them RELI hard? wat is every1 doin 4 last minute preparation?

Good luck 2 all!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x)
    dos anyone know how to do questions 4,8,13 or 19 on section 2 of the 07 past paper?
    Click "Search this thread" at the top of this thread, and search the questions. All of them have been asked about 10 times !!!!

But for question 4:

If you substitiute all of the letters for 10, and then work it out, you get 4000.
    If you then do the changes (ie 50% increase so youve got 15) and then work it out again, you get 3600, which is a 10% decrease

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_examz)
    Click "Search this thread" at the top of this thread, and search the questions. All of them have been asked about 10 times !!!!

But for question 4:

If you substitiute all of the letters for 10, and then work it out, you get 4000.
    If you then do the changes (ie 50% increase so youve got 15) and then work it out again, you get 3600, which is a 10% decrease
    thanku!!

ReputationRep:
    I just Looked at the Clock and **** MYSLEF.

AHH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrDomDom)
    Be careful doing that... The point of this is to answer the question.

Also, while a coherent essay, you do make some pretty bold statements - personally, not sure Id go for that approach. You do make some good points though - overall, not bad at all.
    OK thanks for the reply.

I went quite far in changing the question here, so I wont do it THAT much. Any estimate on what you think I would have gotten ?

ReputationRep:
    Right, i'm going to cram some GCSE science and maths into my brain now, call me superstitious but i'm not going to check this thread til after the 1st of December.
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!

ReputationRep:
    Good idea. I am not going to check this thread until I get my results. No point getting stressed because your answer didn't match "X,Y and Z"'s.

ReputationRep:
    crammed bio. must cram physics.
    what is the gcse stuff for chem??
    im not really sure what to learn for that...
    know stoichiometry? organic chem??????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stormcloud)
    Can someone help with Past Paper 2007 question 13? Effect/ Load/ Fulcrum?

( http://www.admissionstests.cambridge..._Section_2.pdf )

Thanks!

please, anyone? I don't do physics, so I have no idea how to do it!

ReputationRep:
    please, anyone? I don't do physics, so I have no idea how to do it!
    basically, the pivot is the toes and the effort is done by muscle. The load is on the foot therefore the answer is C.

Hope it helps.
    Do you by any chance understand question 23?

ReputationRep:
    Omg good luck everyone! I remember being so worried about this ******* exam last year and then even more worried about the result. All the best to all of you, kick some BMAT ass - it's about time someone did!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Could someone PLEASe take a look at my essays below:

It Is ridiculous to treat the living body as a mechanism

What doe the above statment imply?
    Give examples that illustrate why it might sometimes be sensible to treat the body as a mechanism and others that illustrate the opposite.
    How might you resolve this contradiction?

Spoiler:
    Show

The above staement implies that the body is not a mechanism; its behaviour is too chaotic for it to be described in a mechnistic manner.
    An example whe it is sensible to treat the body as a mechanism would be hormone production, for example, ADH levels. When the water level in the blood drops this is detected stimulating the production of ADH which then causes the kidney to reabsorb water. So in this situation the body can be treated as a simple mechanism with cause and effect; A follows B which follows C.
    An example of a situation where the body may not be treated as mechanistic would be cognitive function and emotions. The reaction to a given stimulus varies greatly from individual to individual and a simple mechanism cannot explain this.
    A possible solution to this apparant contradiction is that the body is too complex a mechanism for us to understand currently. This could be due to chaos theory; small changes in a situation may greatly affect the total outcome. In this sense the body could be likend to the weather, somthings are easy to predict such as, 'will it snow tomorrow' whereas long term prediction is not currently possible.
    In conclusion currently the body may not be treated soley as a mechanism as we don't know how all varibles that may affect it and how they do so. But some aspects of the body when veiwed in isolation may be treated as mechanistic.

Our unprecedented survival has produced a revolution in longevity which is shaking the foundation os societies around the world and profoundly altering are attitudes to life and death

This is a statement concerning ageing and longevity; explain what you think it means. advance an argument against this statement ie in favour of the proposition that 'a revolution is not shaking the foundations of societies around the world'.

Spoiler:
    Show

I think that the statement means that as life expectancy has increased it has caused the demographic of countries to change resulting in a greater strain on services and an increased ratio of dependant elderly on the rest of society.
    This premise of increased longevity was then taken to the extreme by John Wyndham in his book 'Touble with Lichen' where a compound was developed that would increase life expectancy by a factor of up to 10. He envisaged that this would cause: generations of unemployed, people waiting years for promotion and a population explosion straining natural resources.
    An argument that out increase longevity is not shaking the foundations of societies is to use the example of Japan. Japan has a high life expectancy and a large number of elderly. It has solved these problems through increase automation which has rendered large numbers of physical jobs unecsary; one person can do then with a machine, eg digging. This has meant that fewer actively working people are needed to support the increasing number of elderly; Japan as one of the wealthiest and most succesful countries on the plannet.
    The problem of over population due to increased life expectancy may also be averted naturally; birth rates are decreasing. This may be due to the fact children are less likely to die in childhood so a large number of children is not necessary.
    However, there may be some changes of significance. for example as there is an increased number of old individuals euthanasia may become more significant as there are more people in extreme pain unable to end their own lives and who need assistance to do so. This may get to the point where legislation may need to be changed.
    In conclusion while it is unlikely our longevity will grealty alter society attitude to certain topic may alter.

Feel free to be mean!
    Bumping my essays could someone please tell me what they think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x)
    basically, the pivot is the toes and the effort is done by muscle. The load is on the foot therefore the answer is C.

Hope it helps.
    Do you by any chance understand question 23?

Ahh.. thanks!!

No, unfortunately I don't know how to work out Q23..

Does anyone know the answer to Q23 2007 Past Paper? http://www.admissionstests.cambridge..._Section_2.pdf

(It's the one about the artery and blood flowing through- and cross sectional area of artery.)

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain Q.10 section 2 on the past paper for me? It's the one about the precipitate.

ReputationRep:
    bascially Lead ways more then iodine, it is a solid, so if you want the greatest hight, becuase the precipitate is a solid, you have to have excess potassium iodide, to produce Kno3 which kind of cusions the Pbi2 to stop it from sinking. lol what an explantion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.beth.x)
    Can anyone explain Q.10 section 2 on the past paper for me? It's the one about the precipitate.
    you have to work them all out. e.g. for A do (5 x 2) + (10 x 2).
    The largest one is the answer

ReputationRep:
    Ahh.. thanks!!

No, unfortunately I don't know how to work out Q23..

Does anyone know the answer to Q23 2007 Past Paper? http://www.admissionstests.cambridge..._Section_2.pdf

(It's the one about the artery and blood flowing through- and cross sectional area of artery.)

Thanks.
    so you have like a cylinder lying down.
    you have it's length and the it's velocity and time.

so Vml/s *Ts is the volume of the blood passed in T seconds, which is the same as the volume of the cylinder.

so VTml = xmm(length) * cross sectional area in mm2
    but you have VT in ml so you have to convert that first. ml = 1cm^3
    soo .. you have 1cm^3 = 10^3mm^3

so:
    VT*10^3 mm^3 = x*Area mm^3
    VT/x * 10^3= Area

thus E is the correct answer

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.