The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x
you have to work them all out. e.g. for A do (5 x 2) + (10 x 2).
The largest one is the answer

I'm still confused although it's probably obvious - why does that mean it produces the greatest amount of precipitate?
Hyeree
so you have like a cylinder lying down.
you have it's length and the it's velocity and time.

so Vml/s *Ts is the volume of the blood passed in T seconds, which is the same as the volume of the cylinder.

so VTml = xmm(length) * cross sectional area in mm2
but you have VT in ml so you have to convert that first. ml = 1cm^3
soo .. you have 1cm^3 = 10^3mm^3

so:
VT*10^3 mm^3 = x*Area mm^3
VT/x * 10^3= Area

thus E is the correct answer

Ahh... thanks I think I get it. Shall read over it again! :smile: Thanks!
x.beth.x
I'm still confused although it's probably obvious - why does that mean it produces the greatest amount of precipitate?

n = cv so the more moles of reactants there is, the more product there is i.e. the precipitate
(just reposting since noone responded to my last post XD)

Anyway, I meant to ask this a while ago but never got round to it >.< In the official guide for preparing for the BMAT book, in the 1st section, I'm a little confused about question 13 (page 24)

I understand the answer they've given, but is there a mathematical way of working it out, rather than drawing diagrams or listing times? For instance, if I were to do the extension suggested under the question, neither approach would really be worth doing!

I thought I'd ask because I'm sure I've seen some similar questions on some practice material somewhere, all along the lines of, "when will they next flash together?" etc. So if there IS a quick approach to this type of question, I'd love to hear it before the exam!!

Reply 2104
Sorry i know you guys get loaooooods of these.

PLEASE!!! could someone rate this... i havent had any rated yet and would really love an opinion before tomorrow! Thank you xxx

&#8220;A cost to an individual can be justified by a benefit to a group&#8221;
Do you agree with this hypothesis? Outline an argument in support and in opposition to this statement. What factors influence the rights of an individual over that of the group?

The statement above attempts to justify an action from a utilitarian perspective. This is, if an action brings about a benefit to the majority then it is perceived as being right and however if it brings about more detriment to the majority then it is seen as being wrong. To a certain extent I would agree with this statement, that a cost to an individual that brings about a significant benefit to a group can be justified in some cases such as voluntary clinical research trials. However in the debate of euthanasia keeping a terminally ill patient alive who wishes to end his or her life peacefully, simply because it suits the majority in my eyes is wrong.
There are numerous cases in which a cost to an individual can be justified by a benefit to a group. As stated above, the clinical trial for new drugs requires various human subjects to test the newly synthesized drugs. In extreme cases subjects may die as a side effect of the drug trial, however their death means that it can be confirmed that the drugs does not work, research can be made for further development so that an effective drug can be synthesized to save people. What&#8217;s more, costs could be interpreted not only as a physical cost but an economics cost. In the case of the NHS, a percentage of tax payer&#8217;s money goes to funding the NHS so that public health service is available to everyone even though some may use it more than others.
However there are cases where this cannot be justified. Ethic play a large role in this argument where the sanctity of life is precious and everyone deserves equal respect. When considering whether an action is viable or not it is necessary to consider its implications on both parties. Take the case of euthanasia. Relatives of a terminally ill patient may not want their loved on to die however keeping somebody alive in agony against their will is somewhat immoral and their autonomy should be respected. The real cost to the individual is much greater than the cost to the group. Therefore the extent and severity of the cost to the individual and the party influence whether or not an action is justified, e.g. it cannot be said that the merciless killing of disabled people during the holocaust was justified for medical research.
Raindroppe

Anyway, I meant to ask this a while ago but never got round to it >.< In the official guide for preparing for the BMAT book, in the 1st section, I'm a little confused about question 13 (page 24)

I understand the answer they've given, but is there a mathematical way of working it out, rather than drawing diagrams or listing times? For instance, if I were to do the extension suggested under the question, neither approach would really be worth doing!

I thought I'd ask because I'm sure I've seen some similar questions on some practice material somewhere, all along the lines of, "when will they next flash together?" etc. So if there IS a quick approach to this type of question, I'd love to hear it before the exam!!

Lol, I've just referred to what you were on about, and I can see what you mean.

What have you got so far? I'm working on it :P
Reply 2106
Hello, everyone!
Could someone please explain the answer to this question to me? it's from the past paper and the answer's A

14 Which of the following reactions between a Group 1 element and a Group 7 element would
be the most exothermic?
A caesium and fluorine
B lithium and iodine
C potassium and bromine
D sodium and chlorine

and best of luck to everyone taking the test tomorrow!
Reply 2107
guys, question 15, why isnt the answer d?
it says the answer is b but that means that thelight is bending away from the normal from air to water, when it should be towards the normal (like d)
Reply 2108
vinaya
Hello, everyone!
Could someone please explain the answer to this question to me? it's from the past paper and the answer's A

14 Which of the following reactions between a Group 1 element and a Group 7 element would
be the most exothermic?
A caesium and fluorine
B lithium and iodine
C potassium and bromine
D sodium and chlorine

well you're reacting the most electropositive (caesium) and most electronegative (flourine) elements together, so expect fireworks
Reply 2109
vinaya
Hello, everyone!

be the most exothermic?
A caesium and fluorine
B lithium and iodine
C potassium and bromine
D sodium and chlorine

They are the most reactive elements

in group seven reactivity increases upwards, in group 1 reactivity increases down.

so the lowest an highest elements are most reactive.
BananaWaffles
Raindroppe

Lol, I've just referred to what you were on about, and I can see what you mean.

What have you got so far? I'm working on it :P

Haha, what have I got? Absolutely nothing. It has me stumped. Maybe it's something to do with the nth term in the list of times? Although I tried working that out a while ago and it confuuuused me :frown:
Reply 2111
ppl
well you're reacting the most electropositive (caesium) and most electronegative (flourine) elements together, so expect fireworks

ohh! i reckon i get it, because isnt the more exothermic a reaction, the more feasible it is, and like u said, u cant get a more feasible reaction than the one between the most electronegative and electropositive one, i guess..thanks very much!!
Right, I've 2 more hours of BMAT revision to do and then I am putting the pen down. Thanks to all that have helped with queries on this thread. I'm going to try not to come back after the exam though, that whole 'What did you get for the question about the ...' is likley to leave my nerves shot to bits.

Thanks again! Good luck for tomorrow everyone.
Raindroppe
Haha, what have I got? Absolutely nothing. It has me stumped. Maybe it's something to do with the nth term in the list of times? Although I tried working that out a while ago and it confuuuused me :frown:

Hmm, I've just tried introducing an nth term, but that doesn't get me anywhere.

Ah well, I'm gonna revise other BMAT stuff. No point mulling over stuff like this when time is a-tickin'!
Hey... was wondering if anybody could help with q12, section 2, on the bmat past paper from the website ( );THere is a diagram but the q goes...

12. The box and whisker plot shows some information about members of a health club using a walking machine. It shows the number of steps that a group of 30 members did in a period of 10 minutes.

Box and whisker: 500(upperlimit), 800 (lower quartile), 1100 (median), 1400 (upper limit)

Use this information to find the probability that when 3 of these 30 members are chosen at random, they will all have taken between 850 and 1000 steps.

THe answer is E) 1/64

ANy help would be great, thanks!
Reply 2115
yes how do you do this question
upper quartile means 1/4 rite then 0.25 x 0.25 x 0.25 is 1/64
Reply 2117
where did the 1/4 come from
Reply 2118
can someone kindly explain qs 10, 21 and 23 on the section 2 past paper??

thanks
Hmm, I actually haven't got round to practicing an essay question yet. Can't.. seem to just.. do it :P

Anyone in the same boat?

Latest