Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    PLEAAAAAAAAAASE READ AND MARK THIS! IT'S REALLY SHORt! this is the only bmat sec 3 revisin i've done sooooo pleeeeeeeease!!!!! :cool:

“A cost to an individual can be justified by a benefit to a group”
    Do you agree with this hypothesis? Outline an argument in support and in opposition to this statement. What factors influence the rights of an individual over that of the group?

A 'cost' to an individual is, of course, highly ambiguous. Perhaps it could be argued that this 'cost' is the sacrification of an indivual - be it their life, their mind or even a part of their life disrupted, broken in some way. The very individual who undergoes this 'cost' may find that the benefits of this process far outweigh any of the drawbacks of the 'cost' that they, in some way make - or the complete antithesis.

There are many examples in which an individual makes a sacrifice for that of 'the greater good' - to benefit 'a group'; namely, the general public, or a 'group' of people, tied together by a 'family' of disease. Medicine, in its field of constant flux and drive to explore, to interpret disease in all of its dimensions, may involve an 'individual' in medical research, where they may well have to make this 'cost', this sacrifice for the 'group' - in order to establish, to widen the understanding of this 'group' and therefore lessen the extent in which any future 'individuals' may have to make this 'cost.' Whether this 'cost' is justified or not is another matter.

Respect of patient autonomy underlines medical ethics. An individuals right to have what they want to be practiced is

(Here, I'd go on about the patient and argue their influence over the rights of the group, give ex, etc.)

To conclude, although in many cases a benefit to a group may justify the cost to an individual, this cannot be generalised and extended to every case.

ReputationRep:
    Hellllllooooooooooooooo is anyone still awake?!? I'm so desperate for SOMEONE to pleeeeeeeeeeeeease read it! Pleaaaaaseeeeeeee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    PLEAAAAAAAAAASE READ AND MARK THIS! IT'S REALLY SHORt! this is the only bmat sec 3 revisin i've done sooooo pleeeeeeeease!!!!! :cool:

“A cost to an individual can be justified by a benefit to a group”
    Do you agree with this hypothesis? Outline an argument in support and in opposition to this statement. What factors influence the rights of an individual over that of the group?

A 'cost' to an individual is, of course, highly ambiguous. Perhaps it could be argued that this 'cost' is the sacrification of an indivual - be it their life, their mind or even a part of their life disrupted, broken in some way. The very individual who undergoes this 'cost' may find that the benefits of this process far outweigh any of the drawbacks of the 'cost' that they, in some way make - or the complete antithesis. [I like your introduction]

There are many examples in which an individual makes a sacrifice for that of 'the greater good' - to benefit 'a group'; namely, the general public, or a 'group' of people, tied together by a 'family' of disease. Medicine, in its field of constant flux and drive to explore, to interpret disease in all of its dimensions, may involve an 'individual' in medical research, where they may well have to make this 'cost', this sacrifice for the 'group' - in order to establish, to widen the understanding of this 'group' and therefore lessen the extent in which any future 'individuals' may have to make this 'cost.' Whether this 'cost' is justified or not is another matter. [Im pretty sure you have to say that it IS justified, thats what the statement says !!!!!!, Also, it a bit too general, prehaps throw in a real life example where Cost to one is benifical to group]

Respect of patient autonomy underlines medical ethics. An individuals right to have what they want to be practiced is

(Here, I'd go on about the patient and argue their influence over the rights of the group, give ex, etc.)

[Im not sure how you would link this to the cost of an individual being justified, prehaps says that is wrong in a case where the person cant choose for theirselves (mental disability, depression) therefore the cost would be against human rights etc ]

To conclude, although in many cases a benefit to a group may justify the cost to an individual, this cannot be generalised and extended to every case.
    Note, these are just my opinions so i could easily be wrong !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_examz)
    Note, these are just my opinions so i could easily be wrong !
    thanks for the comments! o the 2nd to last paragraph, i'd argue the opposite to the statement, as to give some balance to the essay - that it isn't justified, etc.
    What score would this get do you think?

ReputationRep:
    lol, i have no idea how to mark it, plus the essays not complete

but id say, if u address all the points, you should get a 9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_examz)
    lol, i have no idea how to mark it, plus the essays not complete

but id say, if u address all the points, you should get a 9
    i appreciate everything you've said! phew, at least what iv written deserves SOME marks ........... at least in ur eyes!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck guys.
    Can everyone post what question they picked for section 3 and maybe discuss it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I'll try to remain calm (for now lol!). I'm just dreading the thought of another disappointment with this admissions exam, similar to how I felt when I got my UKCAT results. I just hope with a bit of luck and good fortune on my side on Wednesday, I'll be alright. :o:

Oh and I hope you're having fun in Mexico! Congrats on getting an interview at SGUL too!
    No problem Let me know how it goes I reckon you´ll do well But either way, afterwards don´t stress over what has happened in the exam, it doesn´t help the nerves lol. Best of luck!

Yeah Mexico is a lot of fun Nice and hot here! Today I got shown how to take blood (not certain but I think I may be able to actually do it at some point) It´s quite different to how they do it back in the UK!

Thanks And thanks for the rep the other day too

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anminko)
    Good luck everyone!
    what sec was the hardest??? was it harder than the past paper/specimen paper or easier??????

ReputationRep:
    i Just finished the BMAT, that was crazy hard what did every1 else think?

ReputationRep:
    Just finished too....
    Woah.
    I really, really, REALLY don't know how that went.
    My mind is confused :confused:

:nope:

ReputationRep:
    wasnt section 1 crazy,,,...

ReputationRep:
    do you want to discuss some answers here?
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    that was solid. WoW!

ReputationRep:
    hard but do-able wiith random guessing...

ReputationRep:
    yeah, agreed, i disliked the breast cancer questions especially.
    i did q3 for sectino 3 - how about everyone else?

ReputationRep:
    My attempt at staying away from this thread starts as I finish this post :P - especially as someone just said 'shall we discuss answers?'.

What is bemusing me more than anything is that I genuinely have absolutely no concept of how I've done. The essay questions (well two of them) were nice though, so that was one less battle. Despite that I feel as though my essay didn't reflect the extent of what I was thinking about writing.

Oh well, until the 1st then people.

Hope yours went well.

DoD

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, what essay question did you pick??

And how did you find section 1/ 2? Section 1 was pretty hard, I thought, section 2 was okay...

Comments please!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazwalker)
    yeah, agreed, i disliked the breast cancer questions especially.
    i did q3 for sectino 3 - how about everyone else?
    ME TOO!!! urgh. That was a BAAAAD bit.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.