This discussion is closed.
Harmonium
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by witness the sickness)
oh dear my essay was crap now.

i dont thin i read the statement - i took it as meaning that all knowledge must be quantitative in nature or manipulated mathematically. talked about why - maths is universal, pure, logical, then talked about why lord kelvin thinks this - he is a physicist, requiring lots of maths bla bla (at this point i was off the question so..)

i talked about monitoring "vitals" required quantitative data e.g. a vitamin deficiency, thermometers measuring temperatures, and talked about how gregor mendel used ratios and percentages in his work with the offspring of pea plants to coin the terms recessive and dominant when refering to genes.

then i talked about how quantitative data isnt used in areas such as psychiatry and dermatology as much to a certain extent.

i concluded by mentioning how descrbing everything mathematically would be easier but but difficult to do in practise. then said while some areas are built on strong mathematical areas, such as optometry, radiology and microscopy others still require skills and bla bla bla to diagnis and make conclusiosn withqunatitative.

it sounds awful but it read really well, and the english was obv a lot better, i reallhy think i mis-interpreted the statement :/
Sounds like what I wrote... Different examples and sorts, but same gist me thinks.

Good luck
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sanjetti)
Well I interpret his use of the term "numbers" as something where tenable data can be collected. It is anything where data/observations can be collected in a systematic and reliable way.
sanjetti how did it go? what do you think you've got for each section? was it me or were the practice papers a walk in the park compared to today? can't really call them "practice" papers anymore...stupid test has got me all depressed for bonfire night
Hyeree
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
anyone know when the centres get the results?
is it the 1st december or earlier??
haha so i know when to start pestering my ib coordinator who is also the exam thingy person.. bmat tsa etc.etc.
Sanjetti
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Isometrix)
sanjetti how did it go? what do you think you've got for each section? was it me or were the practice papers a walk in the park compared to today? can't really call them "practice" papers anymore...stupid test has got me all depressed for bonfire night
I'm in the exact same position, mate- that was absolutely terrible (bordering on UKCAT standard guessing! :p:). I think if I'm lucky, I can get 5 on section 1 and 5 on section 2, but that was an awful test. One of my friends said it was easier than the practice papers, and in my mind I was thinking, you have to be kidding me!
lotusx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
that.was.pure.and.utter.evil.
i might as well kiss ucl goodbye. that first section was freakin' unbelievable! what the hell! one hour?! i needed like, 2 for that! it was so so stupid. the breast cancer question just floored me and then i pretty much guessed most of it. i'll be seriously lucky to get 17, but god i hope that i managed to scrape a couple of marks somewhere. that really depressed me.
section 2 wasn't as evil as i thought it'd be, and the essays weren't that bad either. i did Q2, like quite a lot of others did. URGHHH. how long do we have to wait?
rdw1991
Report 10 years ago
i really need at least 5 on section one, then hopefully 6, then 9 or 12 for the essay would be perfect.
Myoclonic Jerk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chuk)
Yeah thats interesting, west coast USA is 8hrs behing. So they've JUST started their BMAT.

I think they must have been held under isolation
Isolation? From the internet?
x.beth.x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Does anyone else agree that the BMAT this year was soooo much harder than the practice papers on the website? Especially section 1. Horrid. I thought section 2 was slightly better than section 1 but still horrible! Section 3 I just talked rubbish for the whole thing and I have a feeling I misinterpreted the question.

I have such a headache right now thanks to that stupid exam. So so so glad I only risked one choice on it!
Donc, je suis.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Hyeree)
anyone know when the centres get the results?
is it the 1st december or earlier??
haha so i know when to start pestering my ib coordinator who is also the exam thingy person.. bmat tsa etc.etc.
Yeah the 1st
Hyeree
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
the us probably has different questions. like they had different questions for us for section 3 anyways. otherwise that would so totally be UNFAIR!

giving US different questions was unfair too
x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Chuk)
TBH, all I want is the paper so that I can do the questions in my own time and actually learn something. If anyone can remember the questions I'd be most appreciative. (I can't remember a thing!)
Hey chuky! how du find it mr genius!?
FFCrusader
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
hmm from the sounds of it everyone found it hard....pretty much like last year lol

Don´t worry so much guys, if everyone found it hard, then it will affect the scoring

The wait for results isn´t that fun really, but last year I found I forgot about it, then I got an interview invite from UCL like a week before they came out (I think the BMAT unis get them a week early)

Also I did meet someone at my UCL interview who claimed to have a score of like 14 or so (not 100% certain if she was telling the truth or not but hey if it makes you feel any better )
SomeStudent
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
I cringe everytime I think about what I wrote for Section 3. Soo embarrassing and messed up essay...
Hosain H
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
@chuk

Wait what? Wasn't the gene question 25%? I swear it asked what percentage will be homozygous dominant? It's 1/4 wasn't it?
x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by SomeStudent)
I cringe everytime I think about what I wrote for Section 3. Soo embarrassing and messed up essay...
snap
Chuk
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by witness the sickness)
lol we should make a TSR BMAT mark scheme for section 2
I think so too. First we need all 27 questions.

(Original post by Myoclonic Jerk)
Isolation? From the internet?
Yes, but more. It would have to include telephone also.
x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x
Report 10 years ago
for the essay one, i no i didnt write enough! i only made 3/4 main points, is that too little? second question by the way
Sam4God
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
random question but how do they know which unis to send it to?? is it because they have my ucas number?? cuz thats all the info i gave them
ben_stretch
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The last question was speed of sound in air and steel. If anyone can remember what the choices were, I can give you an answer, think it may have been 450?
lotusx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah, section 1 was awful. much much harder than practice papers.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.57%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (227)
40.75%
Nope, not that interesting (221)
39.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise