Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    if it is constant speed as you say, then 2 statements are true

ReputationRep:
    If you have all A*s, what would be the minimum score do you reckon of getting an interview for the likes of Imperial or Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qos)
    If you have all A*s, what would be the minimum score do you reckon of getting an interview for the likes of Imperial or Oxford?

Imperial = 4.5 4.5 and 8.5

Oxford = No idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)

Oxford = No idea
    Is it strictly above those, or can certain sections make up for others? I've heard that the essay section isn't as important as the first two.

ReputationRep:
    i heard imperial and cambridge look mainly on sections 1 and 2 only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)

Oxford = No idea
    Nope, more like 4.7, 4.7 and 6.0 as an absolute minimum. Getting 4.5 won't get you an interview even if you do really well in the other section. It might have gone up this year too I'm not sure...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qos)
    Oxford look mainly at sections 1 and 3, the second section doesn't count for as much. I'd say with all A*s you'd be looking at 5, 4.5, 7.5? Purely as an estimation though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aMasterPieceOfDNA)
    Nope, more like 4.7, 4.7 and 6.0 as an absolute minimum. Getting 4.5 won't get you an interview even if you do really well in the other section. It might have gone up this year too I'm not sure...
    hey can i ask what your section scores were?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    hey can i ask what your section scores were?
    5.4, 4.7, 10.5

Most people here seem to have 5+ in the first two sections, it's scary stuff!

ReputationRep:
    Oxford look mainly at sections 1 and 3, the second section doesn't count for as much. I'd say with all A*s you'd be looking at 5, 4.5, 7.5? Purely as an estimation though.
    errrr no... check ur sources mate! oxford concentrate mainly on section 2, although the other sections play a key role. they do this by scaling up section 2 and scaling down the other sections. if you had all a*, i.e. 100% a*, then you would need to be in the 60th percentile or better to guarantee an interview (although of course, personal statement, reference, as grades and predicted grades are pretty damn important too!!!). if you went to a really crappy school, however, then your more likely to get an interview than someone, who for example, was privately educated.... basically everythings taken into perspective.
    i'd say u'd need to have got a score in the 60th percentile at least of OXFORD APPLICANTS. although the average score is around 4.5-5 on section 1&2 nationally, for oxford, i'd say you'd need at LEAST 5,5,9. remember the AVERAGE OXFORD APPLICANT has 75% a*; most who get in, however, will have bmat scores in the 6's for section 1&2.
    wow....that's really long!

ReputationRep:
    5.4, 4.7, 10.5

Most people here seem to have 5+ in the first two sections, it's scary stuff!
    can i ask what your gcse's, as/a level grades were?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADREAM)
    errrr no... check ur sources mate! oxford concentrate mainly on section 2, although the other sections play a key role. they do this by scaling up section 2 and scaling down the other sections. if you had all a*, i.e. 100% a*, then you would need to be in the 60th percentile or better to guarantee an interview (although of course, personal statement, reference, as grades and predicted grades are pretty damn important too!!!). if you went to a really crappy school, however, then your more likely to get an interview than someone, who for example, was privately educated.... basically everythings taken into perspective.
    i'd say u'd need to have got a score in the 60th percentile at least of OXFORD APPLICANTS. although the average score is around 4.5-5 on section 1&2 nationally, for oxford, i'd say you'd need at LEAST 5,5,9. remember the AVERAGE OXFORD APPLICANT has 75% a*; most who get in, however, will have bmat scores in the 6's for section 1&2.
    wow....that's really long!
    http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/med...ssingchances04

"The scores on the different BMAT sections were combined by considering each section mark as a percentage of the maximum (allowing for the fact that the scales did not all start with zero), and calculating BMAT performance = 0.4*(% on section 1) + 0.2*(% on section 2) + 0.4*(% on section 3). This decision to give less weight to Section 2 was made on the basis of a review of previous admissions data in advance of the 2004 admissions round, and is to be maintained in the 2005 admissions round."

The website is for 2005 entry but I know they did it for 2008 entry so don't see why things would have changed this year, mate.

ReputationRep:

"The scores on the different BMAT sections were combined by considering each section mark as a percentage of the maximum (allowing for the fact that the scales did not all start with zero), and calculating BMAT performance = 0.4*(% on section 1) + 0.2*(% on section 2) + 0.4*(% on section 3). This decision to give less weight to Section 2 was made on the basis of a review of previous admissions data in advance of the 2004 admissions round, and is to be maintained in the 2005 admissions round."

The website is for 2005 entry but I know they did it for 2008 entry so don't see why things would have changed this year, mate.
    Damnit section 2 is my best section >_<

ReputationRep:

2008 entry

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/med...essingchances/

ReputationRep:

sorry, but i think ur still wrong... i went to the open day and spoke to the senior admissions tutor and he said that they definitely place ALOT of emphasis on section 2 ... my worst section

ReputationRep:
    sorry, but i think ur still wrong... i went to the open day and spoke to the senior admissions tutor and he said that they definitely place ALOT of emphasis on section 2 ... my worst section
    Maybe they've changed it, I have no idea. But speaking as an Oxford reject I'd say that they wait til the interview to find out how good you are at the sciencey stuff (i.e. section 2).

ReputationRep:
    Does that whole % of GCSEs take half GCSEs into account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    Does that whole % of GCSEs take half GCSEs into account?
    only full gcse's mate!

ReputationRep:
    only full gcse's mate!
    I thought that might be the case, do you have a link showing that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    I thought that might be the case, do you have a link showing that?
    sorry, it was on a powerpoint slide at their open day!
    anyone else have a link though?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.