Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    the mark scheme isn't too bad...getting about half the questions right yields 5/9 for sections 1 and 2...

i think transformers are covered in gcse physics so you may want to recap on that...check the DA spec to confirm. buy the kaplan book, covers all the gcse science notes + Qs...it's VERY helpful.
    How accurate do you find the practice test they give you in that kaplan book compared to the real one in terms of difficulty? I was wondering if the score I got from that book is something I should expect from the real one.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.. I was thinking that. For example if there was a question on decay and they wrote that lead decayed in the alpha form, I would not know which element would come next without a periodic table...

Muni.
    xx
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    (Original post by munim)
    Yeah.. I was thinking that. For example if there was a question on decay and they wrote that lead decayed in the alpha form, I would not know which element would come next without a periodic table...

Muni.
    xx
    That is not Double Award GCSE though is it.
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    (Original post by manmade xoxo)
    Yeah, but if they give me a list of elements and if I'm not sure where they are exactly on the periodic table, how would I do it?
    Just as I said.

If I were to give you the following:

Nitrogen, Oxygen, Lead, Potassium, Aluminium.

You can quite clearly rule out any non-gases. That leaves N and O. Medics should have done Chemistry As-Level and thus you should know that Oxygen is more elctronegative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sohanshah)
    Just as I said.

If I were to give you the following:

Nitrogen, Oxygen, Lead, Potassium, Aluminium.

You can quite clearly rule out any non-gases. That leaves N and O. Medics should have done Chemistry As-Level and thus you should know that Oxygen is more elctronegative.
    Okay, that makes sense. I was over thinking it. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manmade xoxo)
    How accurate do you find the practice test they give you in that kaplan book compared to the real one in terms of difficulty? I was wondering if the score I got from that book is something I should expect from the real one.
    it's pretty accurate, I would say it's the same standard.

ReputationRep:
    it's pretty accurate, I would say it's the same standard.

just look at last years paper, that gives us a very accurate representation considering it was THE ACTUAL paper.

ReputationRep:
    I've done the past papers and such on the website. Is there any more papers I can do?

ReputationRep:
    the BMAT is looking a lot better than the UCKAT as the BMAT is an actual REAL test and not just 100% luck.

ive had a look at the sections and content, seciton 1 looks quite decent, section 2 looks again ok, but with section 3 it looks a bit iffy.

Ive seen on here people doing practice essay questions which seem like a really good idea, but before i attempt them i was wondering if there are any steps (i.e. planning etc) that can be done when dealing with the section 3 question??

cheers guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by witness the sickness)
    the BMAT is looking a lot better than the UCKAT as the BMAT is an actual REAL test and not just 100% luck.

Ive had a look at the sections and content, section 1 looks quite decent, section 2 looks again ok, but with section 3 it looks a bit iffy.

Ive seen on here people doing practice essay questions which seem like a really good idea, but before i attempt them i was wondering if there are any steps (i.e. planning etc) that can be done when dealing with the section 3 question??

cheers guys!

Yes planning is needed, however the best way to get an idea for yourself what planning is needed, try some question and jot your ideas about each point of the question.

ReputationRep:

ive had a look at the sections and content, seciton 1 looks quite decent, section 2 looks again ok, but with section 3 it looks a bit iffy.

cheers guys!
    use 10 minutes planning time out of your 30 mins. it does NOT take time to write it up, but it does take time to think about what you need to write. and it's not wise to think and write at the same time! intro should include what you define the statement to be. include relevant examples/quotes to back up your main argument. make sure you talk about both sides of the argument (you'll lose lots of marks if you don't do this). conclusion should be snappy and unbiased. last 2 minutes to read through and scan for spelling and grammar errors.

ReputationRep:
    for those of use who did gcse R.E. it seems a bit like that i.e.

Intro - opinion
    Main point of view
    alternative point of view
    Conclusion - opinion

ReputationRep:
    use 10 minutes planning time out of your 30 mins. it does NOT take time to write it up, but it does take time to think about what you need to write. and it's not wise to think and write at the same time! intro should include what you define the statement to be. include relevant examples/quotes to back up your main argument. make sure you talk about both sides of the argument (you'll lose lots of marks if you don't do this). conclusion should be snappy and unbiased. last 2 minutes to read through and scan for spelling and grammar errors.
    relevant examples? ill be screwed if i have none to bring to the table, might have to make something believable up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    I've done the past papers and such on the website. Is there any more papers I can do?
    might want to invest in the kaplan book...has a few practice tests in there.

ReputationRep:
    relevant examples? ill be screwed if i have none to bring to the table, might have to make something believable up
    yeh, read about current affairs, medical advancements, maybe a bit of philosophy and ethical issues...just so that you have a good background knowledge in preparation for the essay.

ReputationRep:
    for those of use who did gcse R.E. it seems a bit like that i.e.

Intro - opinion
    Main point of view

Conclusion - opinion
    NO.

Introductions are irrelevant and a waste of time and space for the BMAT.

you just answer the question, which is usually

Definition/Understanding/Authors Belief
    Argument Against
    Argument For (or vice versa)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    NO.

Introductions are irrelevant and a waste of time and space for the BMAT.

you just answer the question, which is usually

Definition/Understanding/Authors Belief
    Argument Against
    Argument For (or vice versa)
    Right fair enough - so it would be introduction of interpreting the question, then only one agrument against and one argument for? and a conclusion...

ReputationRep:
    Right fair enough - so it would be introduction of interpreting the question, then only one agrument against and one argument for? and a conclusion...

it Really does depend what the question is asking, that was only a "Typical" example. Each question is a little different.

Give me an example question and ill Summarise what each Pg should be about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    it Really does depend what the question is asking, that was only a "Typical" example. Each question is a little different.

Give me an example question and ill Summarise what each Pg should be about.
    no its alrite mate. ive got a good idea of what needs to be done now cheers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.admissionstests.cambridge...imen_Paper.pdf

Section 2 Question 9: Can anyone explain the physics of this? I don't think I've ever been taught it.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.