Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Seriously though, what's the deal with Imperial? I think they deal with all the other applicants first before dealing with medicine applicants. Has anyone heard from them??????

(Original post by v_balian)
    Seriously though, what's the deal with Imperial? I think they deal with all the other applicants first before dealing with medicine applicants. Has anyone heard from them??????
    I emailed them and they said that the admissions tutors don't see the applications until the results of the BMAT are in. They then look at applicants who scored highly on ALL sections of the BMAT and they look at their predicted grades and stuff. Then they move onto people who didn't score as high, etc until all interview places have been filled.

Early days, yet, sit tight and be patient

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    It's a far better aptitude test than the UKCAT.
    I think the idea of the UKCAT is better than the BMAT, an aptitude test isn't supposed to test your knowledge as section 2 of the BMAT did but in reality the UKCAT is a rubbish test and so I think the BMAT is better at showing who is smart. They are both annoyingly stressful though and apparently a complete waste of money as I got rejections but decent scores, stupid universities.

ReputationRep:
    6.1 6.1 9 for me. So still in with a chance at imperial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostphotobooth)
    I emailed them and they said that the admissions tutors don't see the applications until the results of the BMAT are in. They then look at applicants who scored highly on ALL sections of the BMAT and they look at their predicted grades and stuff. Then they move onto people who didn't score as high, etc until all interview places have been filled.

Early days, yet, sit tight and be patient
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    6.1 6.1 9 for me. So still in with a chance at imperial
    That do you feel went wrong?

(ps, you must have done better than yoiu think)

How long you got to wait?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll2)
    That do you feel went wrong?

(ps, you must have done better than yoiu think)

How long you got to wait?
    I will know form UCL probably in 5 days form UCL up to 2 weeks though.
    Not much I can do till then

ReputationRep:
    Just got my results 4.4, 4.4, 7.5 that's goodbye UCL and Imperial

ReputationRep:
    BTW,

Does anyone have the acknowledgment letter from UCL med??? (The one which lists the application 'myths'). If so, could you PLEASE send it to me? (Just let me know if you do then I'll give u my email address) I can't find mine!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Parev, it is also on their website if you go to UCL Medical School and then the admissions information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager)
    I think the idea of the UKCAT is better than the BMAT, an aptitude test isn't supposed to test your knowledge as section 2 of the BMAT did but in reality the UKCAT is a rubbish test and so I think the BMAT is better at showing who is smart. They are both annoyingly stressful though and apparently a complete waste of money as I got rejections but decent scores, stupid universities.
    I don't think the UKCAT tested aptitude at all though, and the fact that they don't tell you how it is marked is completely ridiculous. Also, while the Science section wasn't really aptitude, I can see how all the sections of the BMAT would be used by Universities, whereas some of the UKCAT seemed irrelevant. And the BMAT was about £50 cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iheartvet)
    Parev, it is also on their website if you go to UCL Medical School and then the admissions information.
    Thanks.

Here's what UCL say:

"It is important that applicants realise that only a small proportion of applicants will achieve these high scores. The rest of our interviewees will be selected based on their whole application. Scoring less that 19 does not disqualify an applicant from the selection process."

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/mbbs-admissions/

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the UKCAT tested aptitude at all though, and the fact that they don't tell you how it is marked is completely ridiculous. Also, while the Science section wasn't really aptitude, I can see how all the sections of the BMAT would be used by Universities, whereas some of the UKCAT seemed irrelevant. And the BMAT was about £50 cheaper.

i didnt see much point in the bmat either , except the last section.

everyone can guess. and guessing right or wrong might make you a 4 or a 5.. .

think it should have been much longer. an hour per section at least.....!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyeree)
    i didnt see much point in the bmat either , except the last section.

everyone can guess. and guessing right or wrong might make you a 4 or a 5.. .

think it should have been much longer. an hour per section at least.....!
    But if it hadn't been multiple choice, then it would either have had to have been sat much earlier, or the results would have been out much later, which Uni's probably don't want.

I think they worked on the principle that most people weren't going to leave an important part of their application up to chance. And also I guess it fits in well with future medical exams (I think most Royal College entrance exams are multiple choice).

ReputationRep:
    But if it hadn't been multiple choice, then it would either have had to have been sat much earlier, or the results would have been out much later, which Uni's probably don't want.

I think they worked on the principle that most people weren't going to leave an important part of their application up to chance. And also I guess it fits in well with future medical exams (I think most Royal College entrance exams are multiple choice).
    sitting it much earlier i think is the best.
    i personally dont agree at all with anythign that's multiple choice....
    but it's a widely spread test format. :/
    oh well? . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyeree)
    sitting it much earlier i think is the best.
    i personally dont agree at all with anythign that's multiple choice....
    but it's a widely spread test format. :/
    oh well? . .
    Yeah, it's not my favourite test format either.

ReputationRep:
    Nooooo! My Bmat Was A Total Dissapointment! Arghh...damn Exam Nerves!

ReputationRep:
    BTW,

Does anyone have the acknowledgment letter from UCL med??? (The one which lists the application 'myths'). If so, could you PLEASE send it to me? (Just let me know if you do then I'll give u my email address) I can't find mine!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Myths
    Each year we hear astonishing rumours circulating among prospective medics. I would like to dispel a few of these!

1. Those who are interviewed at the beginning of the interview season stand a better chance of getting an offer. Not true! We stop interviewing once we have made enough offers. It would be a waste of time and resources to hold interviews for places that do not exist! The very last person to be interviewed has just as good a "chance" as the very first.

2. If you submitted an early UCAS form you will be considered earlier. This is also not true. Although UCAS receive applications over the course of several months, they are distributed at the universities in large batches. We will read all of our applications as long as they were submitted by the UCAS deadline so it does not matter whether you have a high or low UCAS number. It really doesn't matter as long as you met the deadline (although filling out your form in a hurry at the last minute is definitely not a good idea).

3. If you get less than 19 on the BMAT you have no chance of an interview. Not true. A small proportion of applicants (a few hundred out of thousands) are expected to get the very high BMAT scores that guarantee an interview. Since we interview 700-800 students per year, it should be clear that many of these will not have the very high scores! Naturally, the better your BMAT scores, the more they will strengthen your application. However, most students will be selected based on the overall strength of their application. BMAT scores are important but they are not the only factor taken into account when we make decisions about who to interview..

4. If you have applied for a non-medicine course like Biomedical Sciences then it will look as though you are not committed to medicine. Not true. Competition for a place at medical school is extremely fierce and we believe that it is sensible to have a back-up plan.

5. If your interview was really short then you won't get an offer. Not true. Interviews vary in length and a short interview is not necessarily a bad sign. Sometimes the interviewers can tell very quickly that someone will make a great medical student. Equally, a long interview may just mean that the interviewers found you very interesting and enjoyed talking to you, not that they were trying to "grill" you.

6. UCL uses a formula based on your exam results, such as the number of A grades at GCSE and other factors, to decide who to interview. Not true, although some other medical schools do use some kind of formula. To find out what we do in our selection process, all you need to do is to read this email and the information on our website.

there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, myth #3 makes me feel so much better lol!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, myth #3 makes me feel so much better lol!
    according to someone here who's a ucl student interviewer , 35% of those interviewed dont have 19 points. .
    35 % only

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.