Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manmade xoxo)
    Just wondering..(I asked same question on BMAT thread but got no answer).

I think it's too subjective to be that important, am I wrong?
    Why would subjectivity detract from something's importance? Presumably they already know you can recite facts from your A level grades.

ReputationRep:
    It is marked separately by 2 people, whose scores must both agree by 3 points, and if not a senior guy is called in. Plus your universities are sent a copy, so they can make their own decisions.

Still subjective, but less so than say... History or English Lit A-level exams.

ReputationRep:
    Do we have another young thrusting academic who thinks that facts matter?

ReputationRep:
    Well Renal, don't you agree? Were I an admissions tutor I would focus on sections 1 and 2.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday i got my results.....i thought i did pretty well in section 2 though tht is my lowest mark out of them all! lol......my total is 15.8 which i think is not very good considering the ATLEAST 19+ to get an interview....do u think i would be able to get an interview with that at UCL and Imperial!? I am really scared now.....as i really want to get a place at medicine this year.

ReputationRep:
    Wheras I would focus on 1 & 3 if I believed that it actually tested anything well.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, it's not ATLEAST.

ReputationRep:
    I can see why it would be useful to put emphasis on it. Section three tests to see how you are able to break down and respond to some quite unusual questions, it tests thinking on your feet and your ability to order your thoughts and produce a coherent essay under a time limit. All useful skills and things which it is harder to revise for. I can't see that it is any more subjectively marked than any essay based exam.

I am not sure if they still do but when I did it a copy of my section three got sent to UCL and I was asked a question about it during my interview.

ReputationRep:
    looking through previous forums like this... i have a scary feeling, that although imperial have a cutoff of 4.7 for sections 1 + 2 (for the people on those forums anyway)... the total for 1+2 has to be 10+ eg. 5.3,4.7
    someone please confirm that this is/isnt true

ReputationRep:
    There are also myths they need 7.5+ in S3. They are just myths.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, the section 3 rumors are ost definately myths... but i'm not so sure abot sec1+2

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily.

I remember being told while back that the weighting had been reviewed as they gathered more data about BMAT predictive power/correlation with performance. I think it was to weight Section 2 more heavily - but they don't specify in the 2007 cycle statistics.

Whether this remained the same this year, I don't know.

Options:
    - Don't worry about it - they've done it how they've done it and it's done! :p:
    - Wait and see whether when they put up the stats for this 2008 cycle they comment on it.
    - Contact them and ask - although they might be quite busy at the moment dealing with urgent Qs re. interviews & co-ordinating the offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Not necessarily.

I remember being told while back that the weighting had been reviewed as they gathered more data about BMAT predictive power/correlation with performance. I think it was to weight Section 2 more heavily - but they don't specify in the 2007 cycle statistics.
    cambridge knew this years ago - makes sense if you think about it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    cambridge knew this years ago - makes sense if you think about it :p:
    As in it overlapped more with the MVAT than the OMAT so was easier for them to extrapolate from the data they already had? Or they just went for guessing/'expert opinion' rather than what the evidence suggested from the equally limited number of cohort they'd had?

I haven't done the BMAT, so even thinking about it probably won't make sense to me!

Re. Section 2 being increased that had a very emphasized 'think' - I don't remember for sure & it's not in writing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    As in it overlapped more with the MVAT than the OMAT so was easier for them to extrapolate from the data they already had? Or they just went for guessing/'expert opinion' rather than what the evidence suggested from the equally limited number of cohort they'd had? .
    Yeah because they had data from previous exams & cohorts. But it also makes sense if you look at the paper - answering science questions at rapid speed - its a lot like the kind of thing u have to do in Part 1A ad Part 1B in Tripos.

ReputationRep:
    yep, they said at the open day that they give the most weight to sec. 2 for pre-interview selection .... diff from 2 years ago though...

ReputationRep:
    hmm i got 4.4 in section 2 and i still have an interview?
    is it true that they put more weighting on section 2
    also at interview stage is it the interview that is all that matters, or will they still refer back to BMAT in deciding whether to give you an offer or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Princess*)
    also at interview stage is it the interview that is all that matters, or will they still refer back to BMAT in deciding whether to give you an offer or not?
    hmm too - i got 4.7 on sec. 2 and still have an interview! though i think it's about an average score. how were your other sections? what colleges do you have your interviews at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Princess*)
    Yeah I got 4.4 in Section 1...we must have done fairly well in the other two to compensate for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanjetti)
    Yeah I got 4.4 in Section 1...we must have done fairly well in the other two to compensate for that.
    sanjetti, do you have an ox interview?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.