The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

x.beth.x
I know what you mean! Newham is really pretty but I don't think I could cope in an all girls environment. Being in a all girls sixth form for the last two years has kind of put me off the idea! I would have probably applied to Newnham if it wasn't all girls. Do you think it would bother you?

If you don't mind me asking, what were your UMS?

no i dont mind at all:

chemistry 281
biology 265
physics 279
maths a level(one year) cont really remember 540 i think

what about yours?
blip
Btw, when did u get ur ucl acknowledgement?
I got an e-mail on Friday morning.
Isometrix
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/statistics/

go onto the medicine doc. and scroll to newnham. in 2007 40 applied for 12 places which comes down to about 1:3...which is very low! i was going to apply there till i found out they only took in girls :frown:

i got an email of newnham telling me IF i get an interview when it will be, which was quite exciting! but then im a bit sad like that lol
lol so why st john's then?
x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x
no i dont mind at all:

chemistry 281
biology 265
physics 279
maths a level(one year) cont really remember 540 i think

what about yours?

Wow that's good I don't know what you're going on about!

Chem 282, Bio 300, Maths 282, German 252, General Studies 272
It's just German that messes it up for me!

And as a random side note, is this Siobhan from Eton? If that makes no sense forget about it lol
x.beth.x
lol I can just imagine the conversations... 'so where were you thinking of applying?'...'ummm, I'm not sure yet, maybe Newnham?' :p:

What made you apply to Johns then if you wanted somewhere statistically less competitive?

yh i wanted to play the stats game originally and go for the college which has the lowest app:tongue:lace. but i realised that a lot of people will do that so it's gonna backfire on me. so i picked st. johns because they take quite a lot of medics anyway and it just looked amazing when i visited. huge grounds, good facilities, and located in the centre of town!
i see you're applying to downing. i really liked it actually, also it's close to the medical faculty. but i thought it was a bit far from the town centre...poor excuse i know lol.
i think my only ticket now to get into cambridge is the bmat as my grades are very average compared to other applicants...so no pressure :frown:
x.beth.x
Wow that's good I don't know what you're going on about!

Chem 282, Bio 300, Maths 282, German 252, General Studies 272
It's just German that messes it up for me!

And as a random side note, is this Siobhan from Eton? If that makes no sense forget about it lol

lol yeah it is!! i was going to ask you but i really didn't want to sound like an idiot! i never knew you were applying cambridge!?!? wt college? aanndddd your UMS is the stuff that makes me feel bad lol xx
Isometrix
yh i wanted to play the stats game originally and go for the college which has the lowest app:tongue:lace. but i realised that a lot of people will do that so it's gonna backfire on me. so i picked st. johns because they take quite a lot of medics anyway and it just looked amazing when i visited. huge grounds, good facilities, and located in the centre of town!
i see you're applying to downing. i really liked it actually, also it's close to the medical faculty. but i thought it was a bit far from the town centre...poor excuse i know lol.
i think my only ticket now to get into cambridge is the bmat as my grades are very average compared to other applicants...so no pressure :frown:

if you dont mind me asking...what are your grades?
Isometrix
yh i wanted to play the stats game originally and go for the college who has the lowest app:tongue:lace. but i realised that a lot of people will do that so it's gonna backfire on me. so i picked st. johns because they take it quite a lot of medics anyway and it just looked amazing when i visited. huge grounds, good facilities, and located in the centre of town!

I loved Downing. The fact that it was close was an advantage but it wasn't a deciding factor for me. I just liked how homely it felt. St Johns and Kings were very impressive but it felt too scary for me if I'm honest. Though I think I've messed up my chances already by choosing Downing tbh.

And pfft! If your grades are average then I dread to think what chance I have. You got much better AS results than me if I remember rightly.
x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x
lol yeah it is!! i was going to ask you but i really didn't want to sound like an idiot! i never knew you were applying cambridge!?!? wt college? aanndddd your UMS is the stuff that makes me feel bad lol xx

Lol how are things? I didn't know you were applying to Cambridge either! It's just I knew what A levels you were doing and it just made me wonder really!

I'm applying to Downing :smile: I think the rest of the Eton Biochemists are applying to Oxford from what I've seen. Oh apart from Marissa - she's applying to Peterhouse.
lol you've done your research! what other uni's did you apply to? x
x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x
lol you've done your research! what other uni's did you apply to? x

Not really, I just keep in contact with a fair few people. Ok maybe 'most of them are applying to Oxford' was an exaggeration :p:

Kings, Cardiff and Nottingham. What about you?
x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x
if you dont mind me asking...what are your grades?

8 A*s, 2As.....300,287,283,281.
AS went really well...but my gcses are very average compared to other cambridge applicants (e.g. beth)
your UMS is amazing! you two are making me feel terrible!! and i only have 9 A*'S and 1A and my UMS are MUCH worse then yours!
x.beth.x
Not really, I just keep in contact with a fair few people. Ok maybe 'most of them are applying to Oxford' was an exaggeration :p:

Kings, Cardiff and Nottingham. What about you?

Imperial, Kings, Queen Marys. Yeah joanna is going for oxford, i can't remember what suraj is going for i think that was oxford too!
x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x
lol no boys are cool, but it was just too pretty too pass up! I stayed there a few days and liked it the most out of all the colleges i saw. does it have the lowest ratio i thought girton did? how did you find that out?

I got 24/35 in that but to be fair I did use a claculator. However, I finished in about 30 minutes so I think I can safely assume, with my FM capabilities, that this is a decent predicition of 6.7 in section 1 :smile:
Wow all your UMS marks are really good. I only got 268, 269 and for Maths it's quite complicated as it could be 539, 509 or 517.
sohanshah
Wow all your UMS marks are really good. I only got 268, 269 and for Maths it's quite complicated as it could be 539, 509 or 517.

What college are you applying to? :smile:
x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x
Imperial, Kings, Queen Marys. Yeah joanna is going for oxford, i can't remember what suraj is going for i think that was oxford too!

Yeah Suraj, Ashly and Labibah are all applying to Oxford :smile:

Cool choices! You obviously want to stay in London then!

Make sure you keep me updated with how things go for you anyway. I hope everything goes well with your application :smile:
x.beth.x
Yeah Suraj, Ashly and Labibah are all applying to Oxford :smile:

Cool choices! You obviously want to stay in London then!

Make sure you keep me updated with how things go for you anyway. I hope everything goes well with your application :smile:

you too!! with a bit of luck i might end up seeing you somewhere lol. hows your SAQ going? x
sohanshah
I got 24/35 in that but to be fair I did use a claculator. However, I finished in about 30 minutes so I think I can safely assume, with my FM capabilities, that this is a decent predicition of 6.7 in section 1 :smile:
:rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending