The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1240
Isometrix
i blame jjkkll for posting these lame stats Qs

They are not Stats questions

they are just Worded Problem Solving questions.
i_hate_examz
I see what you mean, but if that was the case, id assume it would say "22 enrolled for only German"

so this question is largely based on assumptions!
jjkkll
They are not Stats questions

they are just Worded Problem Solving questions.

True but it is much easier to misunderstand words than numbers
x.beth.x
22 enrolled for German. It doesn't matter what else they enrolled for. They could have enrolled just for German or for German and English.

It isn't really that subjective...

Tr00f.
Isometrix
NEW QUESTION:

165 grams of Pb(NO3)2 (lead nitrate) is mixed with 152 grams of FeSO4 (iron sulphate). how much PbSO4 (lead sulphate) is produced in grams? the atomic weights (g); Pb=207, N=14, 0=16, Fe=56, S=32

151.5g
*tempted to be pedantic about no. of SF, only to realise it would cost the marks*
Isometrix
NEW QUESTION:

165 grams of Pb(NO3)2 (lead nitrate) is mixed with 152 grams of FeSO4 (iron sulphate). how much PbSO4 (lead sulphate) is produced in grams? the atomic weights (g); Pb=207, N=14, 0=16, Fe=56, S=32

I cant do it without my calcular :frown:
Reply 1246
Isometrix
NEW QUESTION:

i did more rounding that jazwalker

and got 152.6 g

and Iso That's A level Chem, if they give us that in the BMAT, whats the point in us doing A Level chem.
jjkkll
and Iso That's A level Chem, if they give us that in the BMAT, whats the point in us doing A Level chem.

I swear it's GCSE standard...
Reply 1248
Myoclonic Jerk

not with Mr's that High.
jjkkll
i did more rounding that jazwalker

and got 152.6 g

*grins*
ah, that's just the kind of the thing they can probably get away with. non get-away-with-able a level chem would be if they then gave us the equilibrium constant...:P
Myoclonic Jerk

I agree its the numerb I cant deal with without my calc
i didn't use a caluculator because we won't be allowed one in clase but is the answer (and i rounded alot)
500/3g
lol

EDIT:
But we'll get choics in the exam and you could make an educated guess based on what you worked out. but its between 150g and 165g based on my over-rounding!!
what were the choices for this if you don't mind me asking? Wan't to know what i would have picked in such a situation.
i got 151.5g but it took FOREVER!
Reply 1253
Medicine Man
i didn't use a caluculator because we won't be allowed one in clase but is the answer (and i rounded alot)
500/3g
lol

LOOOOL
the answer is 151g
Isometrix
the answer is 151g

what were the options?
Reply 1256
Section 1 BMAT question 4

Three years back the age of a father was 24 years more than his son. At present the father is 5 times as old as the son. How old will the son be three years from now?

Iv moved on from stats, before Iso give us some more A Level Questions

Question 4A (LOL)

When the alpha particle is at a large distance from the gold nucleus it has a kinetic
energy of 7.6 × 10–13 J. Show that its speed is about 1.5 × 107 m s–1.
mass of alpha particle = 6.6 x 10–27 kg
ok. (highlight to read)
Mr of Pb(NO3)2 = 331
=> mol of Pb(NO3)2 = Mass/Mr = 1/2

Mr of FeSO4 = 154
=> mol of FeSO4 was Mass/Mr = 1

Use the smaller no. of mol, so we're going to have 1/2 mol of produce.

Mr of product = 303
so mass = Mr x mol = 303 x 0.5
=151.5
which is 152 to 3sf, which we should convert to 150g (2sf), as we have all of our calculating values to 3 sf.
Medicine Man
what were the options?

there were none
jjkkll
LOOOOL

come on, you can't expect me to work that out on a piece of paper in a minute without rounding off??
I can't deal with huge numbers like that!!