Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Princess*)
    Hey guys
    I was just doing some section 1 practice qs and i cant seem to get my head round how to work out no9,10,11 and 12

http://www.admissionstests.cambridge..._Section_1.pdf

Any ideas?
    i couldn't do those at all. guessed them all. i think i remember reading people *****ing about those questions on here last year...and to be fair, they were justified.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    I have a theory, that this years BMAT paper is going to be the most difficult one yet.

In previous years the only practise material available were the books and the specimen papers, but this year they have also given us last years paper.

So we have had more resources to practise with, and therefore i think were gonna be getting a harder test.
    Hopefully not. Serioulsy.

ReputationRep:
    How do u do no 15 on section 1 from the website?
    Im so confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    find the difference between the two lap times and find out how long it takes for the difference to equal the slower cars time.

for the patio find out how many slabs he can buy with £140, then find out what times what = the number of slabs.

then find the difference.
    further elaboration?

i hate the ukcat as well...completely fails its aim

ReputationRep:
    Im so confused
    you have to make an equation:

let the total votes cast be x
    anne's votes: 1/3x
    paul: 116
    elaine: 58

so, 116+58=174, which is 2/3 of the votes cast. then you find the total number of votes, which is 261. you then find 1/3 of 261 to find the number of votes anne got, and then you have all the numbers & can work out the answer.

ReputationRep:
    Im so confused
    x=total votes
    Ann = x/3 votes
    Paul = 116
    Elaine=116/2=58

therefore;
    x/3 + 116 +58=x
    multiply through by 3;

x+348+174=3x
    x=261

so ann actually got 261/3=87 votes
    so paul won by 116-87=29 votes

C

EDIT: damn..beaten to it.

ReputationRep:
    aah thanks people
    i just completely forget to realise that Pauls and Elaines no of votes added up to 2/3 duhh!

ReputationRep:
    the car laps q...
    the difference between the 2 laps is 4 seconds.. what next?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys
    I was just doing some section 1 practice qs and i cant seem to get my head round how to work out no9,10,11 and 12

http://www.admissionstests.cambridge..._Section_1.pdf

Any ideas?
    Question 9

Following the Steps in the tables.

Step 1 = 30*2+70 = 130 ber

Step 2 = 130*1.6 = 208kcal/day

step 3 = 200kcal = 14 grams

So to the nerest 0.1 will be over 14.0

So the only answer greater that 14.0 = E

ReputationRep:
    Hey can anyone tell me what grade they think I would get on this Section 3 question. I have a feeling I missed the point of the question altogether.

Knowledge is more important than morals.

What do you think the author means by this statement? Do you agree? Advance an argument in support of this statement and against it. Provide specific examples of how knowledge is more valuable than morals and how morals are more valuable than knowledge.

My essay:

In this statement the author intends to convey his belief that we should strive to attain more knowledge disregarding the moral implications of the methods by which we obtain the information.

This statement can be argued for in the case of the smallpox vaccine where a disregard for morals allowed Jenner to inject a child with a disease, and then expose him to a far more dangerous disease. This vehement disregard for the childs' wellbeing saved thousands of lives by providing knowledge of the method by which smallpox can be vaccinated against. However there are instances where the ability to obtain knowledge should be not excersized due to the moral ramifications of using this method. For example it would not have been morally permissible for Jenner to have, prior to having a hypothesis, injected numerous children with the smallpox virus then attempt to test random drugs on the dying children to observe which children fare better.

Personally I disagree with this statement because there are instances where I believe the search for knowledge comes at too great a moral price, and therefore in these instances another method of attaining this knowledge should be found. In these instances I believe morals are more important than knowledge, therefore although in some circumstances knowledge can be more important than morals, I must disagree with this statement.

ReputationRep:
    some good problem solving questions here if you guys get bored
    :rolleyes:

http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QandQ/topics/rate

ReputationRep:
    i am done with the BMAT now. cba.

ive only done 2 practice essays and just cannot be bothered doing anymore. when i tried to do more, i actually couldnt understand the essay questions. i am always like this with exams, at least in the exam i will concentrate fully and hopefully get it.

section 1 i am going to have to be quick, but i can see me getting between 5-6. section 2 im not sure on, i know the equations but some of the questions are sneaky ones verging on the trick variety.

thanks everyone in this thread for the help, resources and advice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Seeing as everyone seems to argue about the reliability of the UKCAT:

The UKCAT is worthless as an admition test

What do you understand from the statement? How could it be argued that the UKCAT is not suitable for medcine admitions. Right and arguement against this statment.

:p:
    Hahaha, remind me to rep you tomorrow.

(Original post by Medicine Man)
    some good problem solving questions here if you guys get bored
    :rolleyes:

http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QandQ/topics/rate
    Sweet, I've got nothing to do at the moment. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by witness the sickness)
    i am done with the BMAT now. cba.

ive only done 2 practice essays and just cannot be bothered doing anymore. when i tried to do more, i actually couldnt understand the essay questions. i am always like this with exams, at least in the exam i will concentrate fully and hopefully get it.

section 1 i am going to have to be quick, but i can see me getting between 5-6. section 2 im not sure on, i know the equations but some of the questions are sneaky ones verging on the trick variety.

thanks everyone in this thread for the help, resources and advice though.
    you stop only when i tell you to stop...keep working :whip:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    you stop only when i tell you to stop...keep working :whip:
    Are you on weed?

But im getting to that point too, iv done loooooads of essays over the past few months though.

Section 1 i dont think i can improve an further and as for section 2 im slaking at the maths questions.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got an opinion on my essay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    Anyone got an opinion on my essay?

Its good, you argued both sides, giving examples and its seems logical.

I’m starting to wonder if anyone will write a **** essay this year.

Are we all essay geniuses?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hey can anyone tell me what grade they think I would get on this Section 3 question. I have a feeling I missed the point of the question altogether.

What do you think the author means by this statement? Do you agree? Advance an argument in support of this statement and against it. Provide specific examples of how knowledge is more valuable than morals and how morals are more valuable than knowledge.

My essay:

In this statement the author intends to convey his belief that we should strive to attain more knowledge disregarding the moral implications of the methods by which we obtain the information.

This statement can be argued for in the case of the smallpox vaccine where a disregard for morals allowed Jenner to inject a child with a disease, and then expose him to a far more dangerous disease. This vehement disregard for the childs' wellbeing saved thousands of lives by providing knowledge of the method by which smallpox can be vaccinated against. However there are instances where the ability to obtain knowledge should be not excersized due to the moral ramifications of using this method. For example it would not have been morally permissible for Jenner to have, prior to having a hypothesis, injected numerous children with the smallpox virus then attempt to test random drugs on the dying children to observe which children fare better.

JENNER WAS IN FACT USING 'EQUIPOISE', THE IDEA THAT HE IS HELPING THE CHILD ASWELL BY INOCULATING THEM AGAINST SMALLPOX, WITH COWPOX.
    Personally PERSONALLY, I WOULDN'T SAY PERSONALLY, I SOULD HAVE THOUGHT THE ESSAY SHOULD BE IN 3RD PERSON
    I disagree with this statement because there are instances where I believe the search for knowledge comes at too great a moral price,
    CAN YOU GIVE EXAMPLES?
    and therefore in these instances another method of attaining this knowledge should be found.
    WHAT ABOUT IF THERE ISN'T A WAY OF OTHERWISE ATTAINING THE KNOWLEDGE?
    In these instances I believe morals are more important than knowledge, therefore although in some circumstances knowledge can be more important than morals, I must disagree with this statement.
    THIS SOUNDS CIRCULAR AND YOU DON'T HAVE MUCH PROOF
    peeweedan, i've put everything i can think of in there. you could do with a few more examples, it seems you don't really consider any of the options in depth.
    for example, utilitarian uses of knowledge are moral, are they mutually exclusive?
    yours,
    jaz

ReputationRep:

My essay:

In this statement the author intends to convey his belief that we should strive to attain more knowledge disregarding the moral implications of the methods by which we obtain the information. Good start

Personally I disagree with this statement because there are instances where I believe the search for knowledge comes at too great a moral price, and therefore in these instances another method of attaining this knowledge should be found. What are these "instances"?In these instances I believe morals are more important than knowledge, therefore although in some circumstances knowledge can be more important than morals, I must disagree with this statement.
    Pretty good essay, i'm quite hard to please though but i'd give this a good 9 or 10. i loved the first half. i've highlighted all the points which i thought made it good.
    i feel you should have included more examples rather than just talking about Jenner. A recent one would you could have mentioned is stem cell research, where there is a gateway to a whole world of knowledge just waiting to be explored, but to do so requires the destruction of an embryo (to extract the stem cells). then you could have gone into a small ethical debate with that where you could talk about the pro's and cons of this moral objection.
    conclusion was way a bit waffly, and not to the point. you kept talking about "these instances" when it asks you to provide specific examples. you could talk about things like cheating off somebody elses work. in this instance it would be morally unacceptable to gain such knowledge, so don't feel you have to just stick with medical examples.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.