Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    ANSWER:

it's quite simple.

4 possible entries for 1st space, 5 possible spaces for 2nd, 3rd and 4th spaces.

so its 4 x 5 x 5 x 5 = 500

MYOCLONIC JERK WELL DONE. REP FOR YOU :yep: :congrats:
    You 100% on that?

ReputationRep:
    ANSWER:

it's quite simple.

4 possible entries for 1st space, 5 possible spaces for 2nd, 3rd and 4th spaces.

so its 4 x 5 x 5 x 5 = 500

MYOCLONIC JERK WELL DONE. REP FOR YOU :yep: :congrats:
    Cheers bro. :beer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeWeeDan)
    You 100% on that?
    yes. it was kaplan bmat Q. lol you guys were bringing in all sorts of factorials and combinations/permutations!

ReputationRep:
    ah...permutations, not combinations. whoops.
    (a number can be used twice. well, in the above challenge question, it can't be, btw)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazwalker)
    Challenge question for anyone who wants an extension on that kind of question...

A seven letter code. The letters and numbers in the code alternate. There are letters:
    A B C D E F G
    There are numbers:
    Jamie Dond takes 0.5 seconds to type in a code. The right one is the last possible code. The hatch takes 15 seconds to open. How long does it take, in minutes, for Jamie to open the hatch?
    101606415 seconds? ... doesn't look right does it? :P

That's like 28200 hours...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazwalker)
    Challenge question for anyone who wants an extension on that kind of question...

A seven letter code. The letters and numbers in the code alternate. There are letters:
    A B C D E F G
    There are numbers:
    Jamie Dond takes 0.5 seconds to type in a code. The right one is the last possible code. The hatch takes 15 seconds to open. How long does it take, in minutes, for Jamie to open the hatch?
    Worked solution, not sure if it's correct though.

Edit: No it's not - each letter/digit can only be used once. Ignore this post.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Start with letters:

7 x 8 x 7 x 8 x 7 x 8 x 7 = 1229312

8 x 7 x 8 x 7 x 8 x 7 x 8 = 1404928

1229312 + 1404928 = 2634240

x 0.5 = 1317120

/ 60 = 21952 minutes

+ 15 seconds to open the hatch

= 21952 minutes, 15 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    yes. it was kaplan bmat Q. lol you guys were bringing in all sorts of factorials and combinations/permutations!
    ahhh you should have said that each no. can be used more than once

ReputationRep:
    ok, firstly, this is assuming wthout replacement. each no. can only be used once. sorry, ishould have specified that.
    secondly, i've put up some multiple choice answers.

ReputationRep:
    and thirdly, with the aid of the multiple choice, it is in fact possible to do without a calculator.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajdj)
    ahhh you should have said that each no. can be used more than once
    Yeah that's what screwed me over.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gunna answer A

ReputationRep:
    Hah you would think I would think of Nazis... Good point.

I'll try and critique your essay, but I'm no expert. (Give me a couple of hours, I'm busy on something else right now )

This essay is extremely strong, I would say a 12. There's nothing I can really say to criticize it. I saw your question and decided to do the same question, do you mind critiquing mine? It's not nearly as good as yours. In fact I think I should have stolen your arguments :p:

"The principle of natural selection is that individuals with genes are more suited to survive their environment will be more likely to survive and therefore more likely to breed and pass on their genes. Through this process and mutations of genes to form variable alleles our genes evolved to be best suited to a stone age life style. The logic follows that since we are naturally selected to habe the optimum genotype for the stone age lifestyle, and therefore we should adopt it as we have no evolved to have the optimum genotype for the modern lifestyle.

If we were to adopt this reasoning we would have to abandon all modern conveniences and begin hunting for our own food with primitive stone and wooden tools. Our social system would corrode with women once again being relegated to child bearers, and our laws would be entirely dismantled and replaced with a tribal system where tribes occupy areas.

The flaw in this argument is that it assumers that the optimum lifestyle for a species is the lifestyle for which the species have evolved into. Although this is generally a valid argument, as were a species living in a non-optimum lifestyle they would evolve so the lifestyle became optimum for themselves. However it does not necessarily apply to humans, as our technological advances we have circumvented natural selection as we no longer have intraspecific competition, so all members of the species are able to spread their genes, so natural selection does not occur. We artificially create a lifestyle which is perfectly suited to our health through modern medicine, nutritional guides, protection from predation, and other factors which make the members of our lifestyle far more healthy, shown by the higher average death age of modern humans, over stone age humans."

I think it is too long personally. I read it to my dad and he gave me a 3! I thought it wasn't great but it's not that bad!
    I thought it was quite good, certainly not a 3 lol! You have answered all the points and your english is good so the very least an examiner could give you is a 6. Maybe you should say more on the 2nd paragraph and I think it is too long. Mine just fit onto the printed sheet we have on the actual day but that's all I can really say. I would give it a 9.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blobblob)
    I thought it was quite good, certainly not a 3 lol! You have answered all the points and your english is good so the very least an examiner could give you is a 6. Maybe you should say more on the 2nd paragraph but that's all I can really say the mo. I would give it a 9.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Once you have finished every resource to practice for the BMAT, what to do?
    Just hover around this thread and keep your mind fresh, or do you repeat each paper till the 4th Nov midnight?

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please explain how to work out the answer for question 24 on this paper please? I know that the volume equals to the volume of a hemisphere + the volume of a cylinder, but i can't simplify the equation to get it to give me the answer.
    Please help.

http://www.admissionstests.cambridge..._Section_2.pdf

ReputationRep:
    There are 4 spaces to make a code. The 1st space can be filled with letters J,K,L or Q. The other 3 spaces can be filled with the integers 1,4,5,7,8. How many different codes are possible? If the Numbers can only be used once and must be consecutive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajdj)
    Once you have finished every resource to practice for the BMAT, what to do?
    Just hover around this thread and keep your mind fresh, or do you repeat each paper till the 4th Nov midnight?
    I've got the same issue, done them all nothing to do.

ReputationRep:

Just ensure you can do every single question from all the papers on the BMAT website and you know all the working.

ReputationRep:
    I regret applying to Imperial very much now, really underestimated the BMAT when I took the UKCAT...thought it would be another version of a "guess & go" admissions test without checking it out in detail.

I really have to smash my King's Interview to make sure I get an offer if I totally mess up the test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    There are 4 spaces to make a code. The 1st space can be filled with letters J,K,L or Q. The other 3 spaces can be filled with the integers 1,4,5,7,8. How many different codes are possible? If the Numbers can only be used once and must be consecutive.
    None.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.