Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey is the whole BMAT done in pencil? I know sections 1 and 2 are, what about the essay? and what scores will u nerds be happy with ;p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymity007)
    Yeh protons have nothing to do with electricity, I think he was taking about conventional current which is (incorrectly) taken do be the flow of 'positive charge' even though in reality it is the opposite.

Positively charged particles which are fundamental (leptons in this case) and can flow like electrons do not exist naturally, cations are positively charged because they are missing electrons, not because they have gained a positively charged particle. Before someone says an up quark, quarks cannot be isolated (yet) and even if they could be, they cannot travel in a medium without interaction. And you can't just add protons because you would have to overcome the electrostatic force of repulsion which originates from the weak nuclear interaction.
    o
    GCSE!!!!

Not A2, while were at it lets get the standard model involved, go all out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno wave)
    Hey is the whole BMAT done in pencil? I know sections 1 and 2 are, what about the essay? and what scores will u nerds be happy with ;p

you can do it in pen, if you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    They recommend doing sections 1 and 2 in pencil and section 3 in pen. But ultimately it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    is it okay to do all 3 sections in pencil?

Guys a BMAT Section 1 q,

The figure below (shows 4 boxes) is for forming a code. A code is to be formed by placing one of the letters a,b,c or d in space 1, and one of the integers 1,4,5,7 or 8 in each of spaces 2,3 and 4. How many different codes are possible

A) 256
    B) 350
    C) 400
    D) 500
    E) 625

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    is it just 1/4X1/5X1/5X1/5X1/5=1/500 so therefore answer D? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    is it just 1/4X1/5X1/5X1/5X1/5=1/500 so therefore answer D? Cheers
    Think so, 4x5x5x5 = 500

ReputationRep:
    I believe section 3 is done in black pen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anminko)
    I live in Japan so I'll be taking the BMAT while all of you are still sleeping the night before!! :| *bites nails*
    Good luck

Interesting to see how you have a PBL uni and 3 rather traditional ones :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Apologies if someone has already answered this.

You want volume of cylinder + volume of half sphere.

so that's (pi r squared length) plus (two thirds pi r cubed).

Do that, then add them together (common denominator 3) to get a fraction.

Then multiply out each possible answer, and see which fraction matches yours.
    Thank you. That makes much more sense now and i get the right answer. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    GCSE!!!!

Not A2, while were at it lets get the standard model involved, go all out.
    Oops ok my bad!

At GCSE level: cations are positive because they have lost electrons not because they have gained positive ions. You can't make something positive by adding protons because a proton will be repelled by the nucleus which itself is positive. Finaly, positive charge which flows does not exist in circuits made out of conductors.

Seems such a basic explanation...

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know where awebsite where i can find the physics formulas used in GCSE??? like f=ma etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shayilalraya)
    does anyone know where awebsite where i can find the physics formulas used in GCSE??? like f=ma etc
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...&postcount=905

ReputationRep:
    Google! or that^^

ReputationRep:
    I've just had a go at my second essay, would really appreciate any feedback.

Title: It is ridiculous to treat the living body as a mechanism.

Write a unified essay is which you address the following:
    - What does the above statement imply?
    - Give examples that illustrate why it might be sensible to treat the body as a mechanism and other that illustrate the opposite.
    - How might you resolve this apparent contradiction?

Essay:

At it's simplest level, the human body is nothing more than a complex network of mechanisms. However, the statement implies that in order to effectively look after the body we must treat it as more than just this. This could be due to several reasons - the fact that we don't yet know enough about each mechanism, or the fact that you can gain more from looking at the whole picture. However, there are also circumstance where I believe it doesn't hold true.

Take heart surgery, for example. Thanks to extensive research in the past, surgeons now effectively have a manual for this mechanism. They can shut off valves, redirect blood supply and make repairs. Seeing it as just a mechanism will also allow surgeons to focus on the job in hand without getting emotionally involved.

The reverse is generally true for diagnosing. Here, more can be achieved from looking at a holistic picture, as symptoms from all around the body can be matched to find a common link.

While in some areas the human body should never be treated as a mechanism, more can be done in other areas to enable it. One way is by continuous research into the complex mechanisms throughout the body so that surgeons can better understand and be better equipped to deal with the mechanism. Research is still ongoing in areas such as deep-brain stimulation to further our understanding.

In summary, the human body is many mechanisms. When focusing on just one you can view it as such, but otherwise the human body must be treated as more than just a mechanism.

ReputationRep:
    u need a more defined intro otherwise its gd =)

ReputationRep:
    if the essay says: advance an arguement against xxxxxxxx, do we need to give just one side of the arguement? or do we give both sides but focus on the 'against' part

ReputationRep:
    If section three is scanned, then do it in pen. Apparently pencil doesn't show up as well. Do one and two in pencil.

ReputationRep:
    u need a more defined intro otherwise its gd =)
    What do you mean by a more defined intro? Could you give me an example?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanjetti)
    I think its best to not worry about it being a cylinder and think about scale factors & volume/SA.

The weight of water (which corresponds to volume) is 15.6kg-0.8kg=14.8kg

When you increase length by SF 2, you increase volume by 2^3=8. So 14.8 X 8 = 118.4kg

The metal sheet (which corresponds to SA) increases by SF 2^2=4. So 4 X 0.8 = 3.2

Overall, 118.4 + 3.2 =121.6 kg
    Sorry to bring this up again, but why does the volume get multiplied by 8. i.e. what dies the 2^3=8 mean...how did you get that?

Same applies to the metal sheet...why 2^2=4 etc. ?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.