Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    I explained 24 a few pages back.

15 makes no sense to me; surely light is bent towards normal entering more dense medium, and away from normal entering less dense. However, answer B is correct, and does not seem to follow this.
    dave i know its one of either A or B, but what is it that determines which refracts more when red and violet leave the bubble? is it to do with their wavelengths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    dave i know its one of either A or B, but what is it that determines which refracts more when red and violet leave the bubble? is it to do with their wavelengths?

Yeah, it's just that red is always on the top. Just a rule with prisms and the like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Yeah, it's just that red is always on the top. Just a rule with prisms and the like.
    remember ROYGBIV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    then how come in the answer violet is on top of red?

ReputationRep:

Hmm probably cos it's going from less dense to more dense, which isn't the conventional way of the prism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Hmm probably cos it's going from less dense to more dense, which isn't the conventional way of the prism.
    ah yeh, in the question it says it's an air bubble in WATER. hence why it's the other way round as its more dense outside the bubble than in.

ReputationRep:
    ah yeh, in the question it says it's an air bubble in WATER. hence why it's the other way round as its more dense outside the bubble than in.
    Hmm that must be why, but I'd never have realised that that switched around the spectrum produced.

ReputationRep:
    As violet is refracted THE MOST, it devaites the most away from the normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajdj)
    Sorry to bring this up again, but why does the volume get multiplied by 8. i.e. what dies the 2^3=8 mean...how did you get that?

Same applies to the metal sheet...why 2^2=4 etc. ?
    With an object if you double the dimensions (i.e. length etc.), you square its current SA and cube its current volume. That was one of the rules in GCSE maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanjetti)
    As violet is refracted THE MOST, it devaites the most away from the normal.

Surely Air to Water bends light towards the normal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Surely Air to Water bends light towards the normal?
    ye that is right. Refractive index of water is greater than air.

I think in the diagram it goes like this:

Water>Air>Water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    I'm getting a bit worried about Section 3 right now. Say we got three awful essay questions, and when I say awful, I mean at a glance all three statements in question do not make sense at all. What would you do? How would you go about planning and writing an essay if this was the case?
    That would be a nightmare situation! But I would go for the one I understand the most (i.e. get the main thrust of) and try and spend planning time deciphering the question. Just write something I guess, and hope for the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motiv3)
    ye that is right. Refractive index of water is greater than air.

I think in the diagram it goes like this:

Water>Air>Water
    Yeah I know, but then that poster's reason for violet being on top, while it was probably correct, was confusing. It talked about violet being bent away most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanjetti)
    With an object if you double the dimensions (i.e. length etc.), you square its current SA and cube its current volume. That was one of the rules in GCSE maths.
    Did not know that, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveJ)
    Yeah I know, but then that poster's reason for violet being on top, while it was probably correct, was confusing. It talked about violet being bent away most.
    yeah i agree with u there. That question was really annoying. Got it down to A and B then based on the spectrum went for A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    I'm getting a bit worried about Section 3 right now. Say we got three awful essay questions, and when I say awful, I mean at a glance all three statements in question do not make sense at all. What would you do? How would you go about planning and writing an essay if this was the case?
    I would give myself 10 seconds to panic, then think really carefully about anything I could apply to the situations. It the worst came to the worst I'd pick one and just start jotting ideas for it down - I usually find that more come to me once I start. I definitely wouldn't just go into overdrive and waffle on though - having to justify and ridiculous, stupid points I made in an interview would just kill me.

ReputationRep:
    any1 scared sh*tless about it yet? I'm just worried about the aspect of time management and if they give you some deep complicated philosophical statements to write about 4 the essay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tibbles168)
    any1 scared sh*tless about it yet? I'm just worried about the aspect of time management and if they give you some deep complicated philosophical statements to write about 4 the essay
    i'm not that scared yet...still 3 days to go!

i actually like the philosophical essays! you can always just write loads on stuff and make yourself sound right even when you know its wrong

i just hate section 1...on the questions where you read a passage and need to find the underlying assumption - all the options seem right and i always pick the wrong one.

ReputationRep:
    i just hate section 1...on the questions where you read a passage and need to find the underlying assumption - all the options seem right and i always pick the wrong one.
    lol, those are my fav questions

ReputationRep:
    mine as well haha :P

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.