Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    problem is, wont get an interview if BMAT is no good.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, of course you wont. But at the same time, if in a months time you find out that you haven't got the super score you wanted, as long as it's just enough, then there's no problem.

"Just enough" depends on where you've applied.

ReputationRep:
    section one is scaring me

ReputationRep:
    Im applying to Imperial, Oxford, Kings, UCL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    ok i'll just do them both again to quit confusing myself!!!
    JJKKLL, can you edit the first post and include these?
    Hi im really sorry but can you or anyone else who has done these questions explain how they did question 6. I'm reading the answers but its just not making any sense.

ReputationRep:
    section one is scaring me
    just stay calm on the day, i'm guessing most ppl will feel nervous (inc. myself) about the whole test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logic123)
    Im applying to Imperial, Oxford, Kings, UCL
    Imperial want at least half marks in each section. Emphasis on "each".

Oxford use you score in collaboration with your A* percentage. > A*%, the less high your score has to be to guarantee an interview. If you meet that (variable) mark, you're shortlisted for interview. Though it must be noted that about 10% of those interviewed don't make the shortlist but are assessed individually on their own merits and added onto the list as the admissions tutors/people see fit.

Kings uses the UKCAT. They have a cut off. Usually it's around 600.

UCL will guarantee you an interview if you get 5, 5, 9, but "it is important that applicants realise that only a small proportion of applicants will achieve these high scores. The rest of our interviewees will be selected based on their whole application. Scoring less that 19 does not disqualify an applicant from the selection process." (See: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/p...tive-students/)

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Its the probability ones on section 1 that worries me..Could myself seeing myself drawing a tree diagram when there is simpler way.If there are other probability questions out there feel free to post them.

Must remain calm and logical for section 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anminko)
    I live in Japan so I'll be taking the BMAT while all of you are still sleeping the night before!! :| *bites nails*
    Feel free to tell us the questions . Just kidding- good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x)
    Hi im really sorry but can you or anyone else who has done these questions explain how they did question 6. I'm reading the answers but its just not making any sense.
    what questions? From specimen papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-x-Princess Siobhan-x-x)
    Question 6 of what?

ReputationRep:
    q8 section 1 on the intro papers!
    wtf?
    someone explain plz!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blip)
    q8 section 1 on the intro papers!
    wtf?
    someone explain plz!
    the one that is covered with graphs?

please if ur quoting a question be MORE SPECIFIC or QUOTE THE LINK for the paper! Theres been so many of questions on this thread i can hardly keep up.

ReputationRep:
    yes, the one with the population graphs.
    q8 section 1...the intro paper

http://www.admissionstests.cambridge...imen_Paper.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !MEna)
    I'm getting a bit worried about Section 3 right now. Say we got three awful essay questions, and when I say awful, I mean at a glance all three statements in question do not make sense at all. What would you do? How would you go about planning and writing an essay if this was the case?

The best thing you can do, is pick the one that says "what do you understand from this statement" and write the opening paragraph changing the question slightly by your understanding of it, and then write a good argument and counter argument for you understanding.

E.G.
    If the questions says

"The technology of medicine has out run its sociology"

In your Opening Pg you can change the question slightly by suggesting that the statement is suggesting that the science and techniques behind medicine has out run doctors social and communication skills and send the argument off at a tangent while still technically answering the question correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blip)

It can only be C.

All you have to do is calculate what the population will be in yr 1, and find the graph which shows the value you calculated. it is only one of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blip)

okay you are told that at the start of this the population is 100,000 therefore, during year one there was 1000 deaths and 200 births. This means that:

Population = (100,000-1000)+200
    = 99200

Now look at the graphs, they all start at YEAR ZERO and the population during this year was 100,000. For year one, we now know its 99200 so look at the graphs.

Only graph C reflects this.

ReputationRep:
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Papillon)
    Kings uses the UKCAT. They have a cut off. Usually it's around 600.
    Yes King's do use the UKCAT but where on earth did you get the idea that they have that cut-off score? Last year they interviewed an applicant with a UKCAT score of 513 so either things have changed this year or you are totally misinformed.

(Original post by Papillon)
    UCL will guarantee you an interview if you get 5, 5, 9, but "it is important that applicants realise that only a small proportion of applicants will achieve these high scores. The rest of our interviewees will be selected based on their whole application. Scoring less that 19 does not disqualify an applicant from the selection process." (See: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/p...tive-students/)
    Ah I really hope what they say is true. I'm surprised by how blunt a few of you are with regards to what you are expecting to get. As much as I'd love to say that the conversions are a true accurate measure of what to expect, the boundaries will undoubtedly change this year. It has only just occured to me that candidates sitting this exam are applying to Oxbridge, Imperial and UCL exclusively which kinda puts things into persepctive - this isn't like any bog standard exam where we are up against everyone in the country, we're up against the best of the best. I'm aiming for 5, 5, 9 - anything higher isn't going to make much of a difference but I'll still try to do so anyway.

ReputationRep:
    best of the best based on what?GRades.This test isn't solely about academics.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.