Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im getting way off 500.
    this is what im doing..
    i've got 12 combinations for each of the numbers...multiplying by 5 gives me 60 possible combos for the numbers (sounds wrong )
    then i multiplied 60 by 4 (abcd) and got the wrong answer

ReputationRep:
    You are assuming you can't use the numbers more than once. As you can, it's simply 4 x 5 x 5 x 5=500

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blip)
    im getting way off 500.
    this is what im doing..
    i've got 12 combinations for each of the numbers...multiplying by 5 gives me 60 possible combos for the numbers (sounds wrong )
    then i multiplied 60 by 4 (abcd) and got the wrong answer

Don't think about it in that way. Rather:

You can select 4 different letters for box 1, 5 numbers for box 2, 5 for box 3 and 5 for box 4. So thats 4x5x5x5 which is 500

ReputationRep:
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by techno wave)
    and yes blip we do get a 5 minute break between sections (while they collect papers and put new papers), but we must stay seated and silent
    thanks...that's a bit of a relief

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoonerH)
    thanks...that's a bit of a relief
    Gives me just enough time to cry over the previous section

ReputationRep:
    Candidates are not permitted to leave the examination room within the first 60 minutes.

However it does not say that you cannot leave after the 60 minutes, toilet ect...

So if you would like a quick break get your mind in gear for the next section then they will let you after section 1.

All details of the invigilation have been posted in the pdf, I posted on page 89.

ReputationRep:
    hello, i was wondering whether for the 3rd section ( essay ) we are allowed to write in pencil? i thuoght we are supposed to write in pencil? but ive b een reading that pen is also acceptable. if someone knows for sure whater its pen or pencil or whatever could u please tell me thanks

ReputationRep:
    heyy y'all! its been a stressfull half term for all of us.. but i wish you all the very best of luck on wednesday!

i was wondering.. for section 3, do we use normal A4 lined paper (i.e WHSmith paper).. or are thy gonna give us the examination lined paper (the 1 they use for exams)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markosalami)
    hello, i was wondering whether for the 3rd section ( essay ) we are allowed to write in pencil? i thuoght we are supposed to write in pencil? but ive b een reading that pen is also acceptable. if someone knows for sure whater its pen or pencil or whatever could u please tell me thanks
    i dont think you can write in pencil! all exams dont allow pencil

ReputationRep:
    !!!! are u serious?!?!?! ive been practicing so many essays with pencil!! i thuoght we were meant to write in pencil oh dear!!! :P

ReputationRep:
    the answer grid says write in pencil for section 1 & 2

ReputationRep:
    question 22 specimen section 2 on the bmat website confuses me, you know the one to do with the insect in the airtight tube, i don't get the whole air temperature thing! could some good samaritan out there please help me!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this has been asked before, if so sorry for repeating it, but can any tell me how to go about this question as it seems impossible to me without a calculator?

Question
    An oxide of tungsten contains 79.31% by mass of tungsten.
    What is the formula of this oxide? (relative atomic masses: O = 16; W = 184)

A WO
    B WO2
    C WO3
    D W2O3
    E W3O4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asthenia)
    Not sure if this has been asked before, if so sorry for repeating it, but can any tell me how to go about this question as it seems impossible to me without a calculator?

Question

A WO
    B WO2
    C WO3
    D W2O3
    E W3O4
    I can't do this either. I couldn't do it at GCSE, I couldn't do it at AS, and I still can't do it now :p:

ReputationRep:
    lol i know i did it using the calculater, anyone got a quick mental method though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asthenia)

Question

A WO
    B WO2
    C WO3
    D W2O3
    E W3O4
    Best way is to round to manageable numbers;

W - 80%,200
    O - 20%, 20

work out the ratios;
    W - 80/200 = 2/5 = 0.4
    O - 20/20 = 1
    so divide by the lowest i.e. 0.4;
    W - 0.4/0.4 = 1
    O - 1/0.4 = 10/4 = 2.5
    So we have the formula; W as 1 and O as 2.5
    however because we've rounded all the values UP for our calculation, it would mean this is an underestimate to the real value...so O would really by a bit higher than 2.5
    so we can say it's WO3

ReputationRep:
    ^Thanks for the explanation!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain Q7 of the past paper on the BMAT website?

Here it is:

In an experiment, 6 bulbs were planted in a row. 3 produced red flowers and 3 produced
    yellow flowers.
    If the bulbs were planted in a random order, what is the probability that the colours will
    alternate along the whole row?
    A 1/60
    B 1/48
    C 1/32
    D 1/20
    E 1/10

I remember doing something like this before but can't remember how to do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetcheeks01)
    Can someone explain Q7 of the past paper on the BMAT website?

Here it is:

In an experiment, 6 bulbs were planted in a row. 3 produced red flowers and 3 produced
    yellow flowers.
    If the bulbs were planted in a random order, what is the probability that the colours will
    alternate along the whole row?
    A 1/60
    B 1/48
    C 1/32
    D 1/20
    E 1/10

I remember doing something like this before but can't remember how to do it
    You can get the following orders;
    R Y R Y R Y
    Y R Y R Y R

for the first one to be red = 3/6 (3 reds out of 6 flowers)
    2nd to be yellow = 3/5 (3 yellows out of 5 flowers)
    3rd to be red = 2/4 (2 reds out of 4 flowers) etc.
    4th to be yellow = 2/3
    5th to be red = 1/2
    6th to be yellow = 1/1
    multiply these together to get 1/20
    but this is for only of the two possible orders so you need to multiply this by 2; 1/20 x 2 = 2/20 = 1/10

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.