The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sweetcheeks01
How would you work this out?

Two drivers take part in a race. The faster driver’s average lap time is 1 minute 6 seconds,
and the slower driver’s 1 minute 10 seconds.
Assuming they drive at a constant speed and started together, how long would it take for
the faster to lap the slower driver?
A 18 minutes 9 seconds
B 19 minutes 15 seconds
C 20 minutes 25 seconds
D 38 minutes 30 seconds
E 40 minutes 50 seconds

OK, to the faster driver is 4 seconds faster than the slower one. So every lap, he gains 4 more seconds over the slower one

So 1 minute 10 = 70 Seconds.
70 / 4 = 17.5

therefore it takes 17.5 Laps to overlap him.

Eash lap is 1m 6 seconds, ie 66 Seconds

so 66 x 17.5 = 1155 Seconds

Converted into Minutes (divide by 60) = 19.25

Which is very close to option B which is the correct answer

Im not sure why I didnt get exactly the right answer, and I cant seem to find any flaws in what i done, but I got it right , so woop woop
Reply 1801
Hi Crazy lemon, i read your essays. :smile:

I'm not very good on this constructive criticism thing, purely because i don't think im the most experienced at writing these essays! However in regards to your first one, it is a good essay however when i read the questions i interpreted it slightly different

What i got from the quote was, in accordance to your essay also, that even though the body is essentially one largely complex machine with various different mechanisms all functioning in unison, and despite an encyclopedia of scientific knowledge there is still so much we don't know about the body therefore we cannot treat it as a " predictable" mechanism as such". For it might be appropriate to treat the body as a mechanism in the given example of renal function, it is known that a will lead to b which will result in c however taking the brain for example, it is an organ very much foreign to scientists. Therefore we cannot treat it as a mechanism becasue we don't know much about its function, or more HOW to treat it.

From another perspective, i also found that the quote appealed to our mental state ,whereby our physiological being represents that of a complex machine at the end of the day we experience emotions and have feelings.

I don't know if this helps at all! i am very new to this!

Please check my essay too its on the previous page! x x x
Reply 1802
sweetcheeks01
First I worked out how much protein it would require using the protein requirement table and that came out as 6.37 (tell me if you can't work it out and I'll show you my individual steps). Then I did 91 (the energy requirement) x 0.06 (the protein that CCFR gives you) which = 5.46. And the difference between 6.37 and 5.46 (0.9) is the answer.

Reply 1803
sara411

I'm not very good on this constructive criticism thing, purely because i don't think im the most experienced at writing these essays! However in regards to your first one, it is a good essay however when i read the questions i interpreted it slightly different

What i got from the quote was, in accordance to your essay also, that even though the body is essentially one largely complex machine with various different mechanisms all functioning in unison, and despite an encyclopedia of scientific knowledge there is still so much we don't know about the body therefore we cannot treat it as a " predictable" mechanism as such". For it might be appropriate to treat the body as a mechanism in the given example of renal function, it is known that a will lead to b which will result in c however taking the brain for example, it is an organ very much foreign to scientists. Therefore we cannot treat it as a mechanism becasue we don't know much about its function, or more HOW to treat it.

From another perspective, i also found that the quote appealed to our mental state ,whereby our physiological being represents that of a complex machine at the end of the day we experience emotions and have feelings.

could anyone else shed some light on this???
i_hate_examz
OK, to the faster driver is 4 seconds faster than the slower one. So every lap, he gains 4 more seconds over the slower one

70 / 4 = 17.5

Im not sure why I didnt get exactly the right answer, and I cant seem to find any flaws in what i done, but I got it right , so woop woop

19.25 is the same as 19mins15secs :wink:

I actually did it blip's way and got the same answer (multipying 16.5 and 70) so I'm guessing you can do it either way?
Reply 1805
sweetcheeks01
How would you work this out?

Two drivers take part in a race. The faster driver’s average lap time is 1 minute 6 seconds,
and the slower driver’s 1 minute 10 seconds.
Assuming they drive at a constant speed and started together, how long would it take for
the faster to lap the slower driver?
A 18 minutes 9 seconds
B 19 minutes 15 seconds
C 20 minutes 25 seconds
D 38 minutes 30 seconds
E 40 minutes 50 seconds

i did the same got 19.15 though ... have you actually got the answer???
sara411
i did the same got 19.15 though ... have you actually got the answer???

Yeah I got 19mins 15 seconds. When I did 1155/60 I got 15 as the remainder but cos it was over 60 it meant 15seconds and not .15... That might be where you got muddled up? :s-smilie:
sara411

I have had a look at you essay and did find it good however a few things

Im not sure that stem cell research has cause the developement of artificial insulin - I though it was by the GM of bacteria. However maybe I have missed some research or something not certain.
I liked the example of how we certiainly havent stoped other organisms from evolving.
One thing I might have added myself was that possibly the criteria for natural selection have changed for humans; some characteristics may cause you to still have more children than others and so natural selction still aplies to us; not every human has the same number of children.
Reply 1808
when people do these questions, do they see the answer, or do they just see the writing on the page, cause i have visions that some people just see the method infronty of them straight away.
sweetcheeks01
19.25 is the same as 19mins15secs :wink:

ahhhh, lol n00b error on my part, thanks
Reply 1810
i_hate_examz

70 / 4 = 17.5

.25 of a minute is 15 seconds.
logic123
when people do these questions, do they see the answer, or do they just see the writing on the page, cause i have visions that some people just see the method infronty of them straight away.

Depends on the question I'm normally trying to work out how to do it nad finding a solution as I read the question (the only thing mechanics has ever help me with)
Reply 1812
i got 18mins 9 secs.......y?
dw gt it
Reply 1813
crazylemon
Could someone please look at my essays its the bit im least sure of
(In spoilers)

It Is ridiculous to treat the living body as a mechanism

What doe the above statment imply?
Give examples that illustrate why it might sometimes be sensible to treat the body as a mechanism and others that illustrate the opposite.
How might you resolve this contradiction?

Spoiler

Our unprecedented survival has produced a revolution in longevity which is shaking the foundation os societies around the world and profoundly altering are attitudes to life and death

This is a statement concerning ageing and longevity; explain what you think it means. advance an argument against this statement ie in favour of the proposition that 'a revolution is not shaking the foundations of societies around the world'.

Spoiler

question.... where do you find these titles???? :biggrin:
http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/109110_BMAT_Section_1.pdf

Help on Q23 please?

I can't be bothered to try, doing this has worn me out so much :coma:
Reply 1815
This may seem weird, but when you actually do these BMAT questions, most of the time the answer is starring you in the face. Which is probs one of the better things about BMAT, Ive noticed that when i go through some of these problems, the answer seems to star me in the face, even when i think, i havent done it.
sweetcheeks01
http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/digitalAssets/109110_BMAT_Section_1.pdf

Help on Q23 please?

I can't be bothered to try, doing this has worn me out so much :coma:

OK.

If we have 1000 Men.

Stage 1

10% will have an abnormal PSA Level, leaving 100 Men
Of these, 74% will be false poitive, leaving 74 Men

Stage 2

It says 85 men in 1000 will have a false positive, so thats 8.5%
So 8.5 % of 74 with out calculator :

10% = 7.4
5% = 3.7

You dont need to work it out, you looking for a value bigger than 3.7 and smaller than 7.4, so the answer is B (6)
i_hate_examz
OK.

If we have 1000 Men.

Stage 1

10% will have an abnormal PSA Level, leaving 100 Men
Of these, 74% will be false poitive, leaving 74 Men

Stage 2

It says 85 men in 1000 will have a false positive, so thats 8.5%
So 8.5 % of 74 with out calculator :

10% = 7.4
5% = 3.7

You dont need to work it out, you looking for a value bigger than 3.7 and smaller than 7.4, so the answer is B (6)

Thanks. I still don't get why you have to do that step :s-smilie:
could someone explain this. vitamin C, C6H8O6 is manufactured starting from glucose, C6H12O6. the conversion of glucose to vitamin C involves oxidation. how?
Isometrix
could someone explain this. vitamin C, C6H8O6 is manufactured starting from glucose, C6H12O6. the conversion of glucose to vitamin C involves oxidation. how?

Vitamic C --> Glucose, you're taking away 4 hydrogens. Which is oxidation I'm guessing?

Latest

Trending

Trending