Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetcheeks01)
    http://www.admissionstests.cambridge..._Section_2.pdf

Can someone please explain Q15 to me? I don't remember anything about dispersion etc..
    Its B, because when white light waves enter the bubble they slow down and bend...different coloured light has different frequencies,and the higher the frequency of the light wave the more it is slowed down and the more it is bent.Red has a lower frequency so is only bent a little. Violet has a much higher frequency so is bent more.

Apart from that I don't know how to explain why it bends upwards and not downwards, i just intuitively got the right answer hope that helps a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I am talking about shadowing when radio waves pass through hills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Halpert)
    I am talking about shadowing when radio waves pass through hills.

diffraction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    oh yeh :confused: can't believe i forgot that. i always though oxidation only meant gain of oxygen/loss of electrons.
    Yup Oxidation can be defined in three ways:
    i) Loss of electrons
    ii) Gain of oxygen
    iii) Loss of hydrogen

(and vice-versa for reduction).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    Yea it is

Oxidation is Loss of Hydrogen and Electrons and the Gain of Oxygen

Reduction is the Gain of Hydrogen and Electrons and the Loss of Oxygen

Any chance you can give the proper definition of Hydration and Dehydration ? Or am I correct in assuming its the addition/removal of a water molcule to form a covalent bond ? (Havent got my AS Chemi text book with me atm)

ReputationRep:
    im i the only one who hasn't heard of fulcrums and loads...q13 on section 2 of the practice material?

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by Mr Halpert
    I am talking about shadowing when radio waves pass through hills
    Oh in that case, it just means that houses behing large hills and other structures cannot receive television waves as they are blocked by the hill

But they can receive radio waves as radio waves have a longer wavelength which is similar in size to the hill and so the radio wave will diffract around the hill and be received.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blip)
    im i the only one who hasn't heard of fulcrums and loads...q13 on section 2 of the practice material?
    yh, i dont know about them either, muscle systems arent even in my GCSE Bio book :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_examz)
    yh, i dont know about them either, muscle systems arent even in my GCSE Bio book :confused: :confused:
    ditto! but I think the leg muscle question was in more of a physics context tbh

ReputationRep:
    Any chance you can give the proper definition of Hydration and Dehydration ? Or am I correct in assuming its the addition/removal of a water molcule to form a covalent bond ? (Havent got my AS Chemi text book with me atm)

Dehydration/Condensation Reactions - The Removal of water (forming a peptide bond usually)

Hydration is the addition of water.

ReputationRep:
    is there any useful link on the net about antagonistic muscles etc as it isn't something i covered at gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donc, je suis.)
    Apart from that I don't know how to explain why it bends upwards and not downwards, i just intuitively got the right answer hope that helps a bit.
    As it passes into a less dense medium (from water to air) the light refracts away from the normal. It then refracts towards the normal as it goes from the air to water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben_stretch)
    As it passes into a less dense medium (from water to air) the light refracts away from the normal. It then refracts towards the normal as it goes from the air to water.
    Ah ok, but if you see what I mean, wouldn't refraction in the other direction still be equally 'away from the normal?'

ReputationRep:
    ________________________________ __________________ _______________
    Progress must always be welcomed.

Write a unified essay, with examples. Define Progress

Progress, is when you move forward. This can be applied to numerous different fields, for example in the scientific field; progress is defined by new discoveries, proof of hypothesis, or disproof of an established theory. In Medicine, it can be the recovery of a patient after an accident or the overcoming of disease.

Many people argue, that progress, no matter if negative or positive should always be welcomed. In the scientific field, progress is usually synonymous with an increase in knowledge, and therefore it should be welcomed. For example, the LHC, which is aiming to discover the higgs boson, will be a scientific breakthrough, and not only with the discovery itself be progress, it will lead to further progress based on what it finds. Suppose the LHC fails, and doesn’t discover the bosom. This can still be classed as progress, and as Steven Hawkins said on this matter, failure would mean that scientists would have to completely rethink their ideas, and although they didn’t technically find out anything, their knowledge on what doesn’t work increased, this is again, progress.

However, there are people, who argue that progress is not always good, and that it shouldn’t be welcomed. Again, in the scientific field, which is moving at an exponential rate, scientists are learning more and more about the human body. There comes a point where discoveries, ie progress, crosses the ethical line, and become, to many morally wrong. For example, recent advancements mean that, in the very early stages of fetal development, it can be screen for a huge number of diseases of susceptibility. This can lead to the stage in certain cases (IVF treatment for example) where the parents can effectively choose a “good” fetus. Also, even more recent developments included a fully working artificial heart(still in trial stage) and suggestions, that in the future, it’ll be possibly for artificial livers and pancreases etc. At this stage, an elderly wealthy person could “buy” a whole set of new organs, which perhaps poorer people miss out. Progress can now been seen to be morally wrong, and therefore should not always be welcomed.

could someone please just give a me a quick estimate on what it would get ?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    probably 7.5-9

ReputationRep:
    Progress must always be welcomed.

Write a unified essay, with examples. Define Progress

Progress, is when you move forward. This can be applied to numerous different fields, for example in the scientific field; progress is defined by new discoveries, proof of hypothesis, or disproof of an established theory. In Medicine, it can be the recovery of a patient after an accident or the overcoming of disease.

Many people argue, that progress, no matter if negative or positive should always be welcomed. In the scientific field, progress is usually synonymous with an increase in knowledge, and therefore it should be welcomed. For example, the LHC, which is aiming to discover the higgs boson, will be a scientific breakthrough, and not only with the discovery itself be progress, it will lead to further progress based on what it finds. Suppose the LHC fails, and doesn’t discover the bosom. This can still be classed as progress, and as Steven Hawkins said on this matter, failure would mean that scientists would have to completely rethink their ideas, and although they didn’t technically find out anything, their knowledge on what doesn’t work increased, this is again, progress.

However, there are people, who argue that progress is not always good, and that it shouldn’t be welcomed. Again, in the scientific field, which is moving at an exponential rate, scientists are learning more and more about the human body. There comes a point where discoveries, ie progress, crosses the ethical line, and become, to many morally wrong. For example, recent advancements mean that, in the very early stages of fetal development, it can be screen for a huge number of diseases of susceptibility. This can lead to the stage in certain cases (IVF treatment for example) where the parents can effectively choose a “good” fetus. Also, even more recent developments included a fully working artificial heart(still in trial stage) and suggestions, that in the future, it’ll be possibly for artificial livers and pancreases etc. At this stage, an elderly wealthy person could “buy” a whole set of new organs, which perhaps poorer people miss out. Progress can now been seen to be morally wrong, and therefore should not always be welcomed.

could someone please just give a me a quick estimate on what it would get ?

thanks
    i think its well balanced and written. my fave part was the bosom part(joke).
    i'd rate it at around 9...no less than 7.5 ish.

ReputationRep:
    can someone tell me how to do q19 on the section 1 past paper?? I have no clue how to approach it

ReputationRep:
    n if there are any IB students out there... aren't the some of the section 3 questions basically the natural sciences section of TOK, and so basically tok essays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sara411)
    question.... where do you find these titles????
    They are on the BMAT website

ReputationRep:
    Hey apparently international students who take the BMAT have different essay questions then those who are doing it in the UK

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.