Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    cos its the distance from the pivot.

So you always use the distance from the Pivot to the Piston ?

Its just im getting a bit confues as I didnt do Physics AS

So suppose the Piston was at 16cm, ie exactly where the Pivot is, would the answer (ie Force applied to the piston) be 60N x 16 = 960

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_examz)
    Yep, same

Ive saved all of them + answers, I can upload them if you need
    That would be great actually, and would probably help all the other people who now can't get on it

ReputationRep:
    Introductory, Specimin and 2007 Papers + Answers :

http://rapidshare.com/files/160283049/Bmat.rar

ReputationRep:
    dus any1 have the answers for past paper section2? cheers

ReputationRep:
    They're in the link I posted above

ReputationRep:
    An oxide of iron has the formula fe3o4 and contains both fe3+ AND FE2+ ions, which of the foliwng is the fraction of iron ions that are in the fe2+ state.

ReputationRep:
    Here's my response to 'A little learning is a dangerous thing'.

I'd appreciate it if someone could assess it for me. I don't mind how blunt you are, i'd rather honesty than leaving me oblivious to how much I suck :p: Thanks

The ability to learn new things is what separates the human race from mere animals. Over the centuries, humans have learnt so much about the world around us, enabling us to live as we do, with housing, healthcare and technology to name a few. However, no matter how hard we try, some subject will be nearly impossible to master, such as physics or the ability to live forever. As the general population understands only a small percentage of avail knowledge, this can lead to the idea that a little learning can be a dangerous thing. Is it safe to have a first year medical student performing operations alone? Is it safe for a wannabe pilot to take the wheel of a passenger airplane? In these circumstances, their little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

However, it is quite ridiculous to suggest that everyone should understand a topic in full to be deemed safe. For centuries humans have been constantly learning, building on the small bits of knowledge they have. The Greeks thought the elements were Earth, Wind, Water and Fire. This idea wasn’t dangerous, and such ideas have lead to modern chemistry. A little learning can be far from dangerous, with a little knowledge of CPR being life saving. This shows that a little learning can be the difference between life and death. A little learning allows everyday life to exist as we know it. A little knowledge of cookery, engineering, driving allows us to have an enjoyable day-to-day life, where we constantly learn new things to allow us to advance.

To determine whether learning is dangerous or not depends entirely on the situation. On one hand, yes a little learning is dangerous with serious implications coming from an untrained surgeon or pilot. However, in most situations, a little learning is useful in everyday life and is far from dangerous. To understand a topic in depth is almost impossible, so just learning a little is acceptable. A little knowledge of different subjects enables us to have a successful everyday life and if we were without this little knowledge, our lives as humans would be unimaginable.

ReputationRep:
    They're in the link I posted above
    Cheers Did you happen to save any of the section 3 essay examples or anything else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logic123)
    An oxide of iron has the formula fe3o4 and contains both fe3+ AND FE2+ ions, which of the foliwng is the fraction of iron ions that are in the fe2+ state.
    Got to be 1/3.

Oxidation state of O is -2 x 4 = -8. It says it has a mixture of Fe2+ and Fe3+, so to fit, there has to be an even number of Fe3+.

So 2 x Fe3+ add 1 x Fe2+ = +8

All balanced out. Fraction is 1/3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crosscurrents)
    Cheers Did you happen to save any of the section 3 essay examples or anything else?
    I had everything except that im afraid

ReputationRep:
    Introductory, Specimin and 2007 Papers + Answers :

http://rapidshare.com/files/160283049/Bmat.rar
    Thanks alot mate.

ReputationRep:
    thanks alot i_hate_examz your the man,

guys a q, i know that this q has been asked b4 but i seriously still dont understand why q.19 of past paper section 2 is not 1050N - could som1 help me with this pls?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raquel//)
    Got to be 1/3.

Oxidation state of O is -2 x 4 = -8. It says it has a mixture of Fe2+ and Fe3+, so to fit, there has to be an even number of Fe3+.

So 2 x Fe3+ add 1 x Fe2+ = +8

All balanced out. Fraction is 1/3.
    awesome explanation. awesome fellow thxx

ReputationRep:
    OK, to the faster driver is 4 seconds faster than the slower one. So every lap, he gains 4 more seconds over the slower one

So 1 minute 10 = 70 Seconds.
    70 / 4 = 17.5

therefore it takes 17.5 Laps to overlap him.

Eash lap is 1m 6 seconds, ie 66 Seconds

so 66 x 17.5 = 1155 Seconds

Converted into Minutes (divide by 60) = 19.25

19.25 = 19 Min 15 Seconds

THANK YOU SO MUCH, i_hate_examz!!! (you shouldn't really (hate exams) you explain v. well, you must be great at doing the questions too!)

ReputationRep:
    I can only hope that the problem solving questions are as easy as the ones last year. That would really make my day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjkkll)
    Go through this tread before asking questions, EVERY Possible question you have has already been answered, most likely numerous times.
    Sorry for clogging up the thread.. but it IS 96 pages long, and seeing as the BMAT is in around a day, I don't have time to sift through the whole thread.. I know it's annoying seeing the same questions again.. I wouldn't post it again if I had seen the question already! :o: sorry!

ReputationRep:
    When is the BMAT?

ReputationRep:
    OK, to the faster driver is 4 seconds faster than the slower one. So every lap, he gains 4 more seconds over the slower one

So 1 minute 10 = 70 Seconds.
    70 / 4 = 17.5

therefore it takes 17.5 Laps to overlap him.

Eash lap is 1m 6 seconds, ie 66 Seconds

so 66 x 17.5 = 1155 Seconds

Converted into Minutes (divide by 60) = 19.25

19.25 = 19 Min 15 Seconds
    -------------------------------------------
    Hey i_hate_examz, I gave you positive rep(is that what you call it??) for this post! THANK YOU SO MUCH again! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OriginofSymmetry)
    When is the BMAT?
    5 Nov.. different times during the day depending on country. But.. 5 Nov.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stormcloud)
    5 Nov.. different times during the day depending on country. But.. 5 Nov.

Thank you. I thought it was today for some weird reason.

Good luck everyone!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2009

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.